That Spiderman chest "dimple" !?

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
This is so picky but totally DRIVES ME NUTS!

I notice on nearly every Spidey suit (and my own) that there is this darn seam on the chest that pops out and makes a goofy little dimple. Is there any way to fix this? Or does the pattern need to go.... back to formula? Here are some examples:

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.45.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.43.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.42.56 PM.png

I noticed on the new Spiderman suit (below) that they don't have this seam - it splits down into two. Just wondering what you're thoughts were on this little annoyance.

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 5.36.17 PM.png

-Moony

tumblr_inline_o0o4ju7SAo1qkpvmh_500.png

It has to do with the fact that nearly every Spider-Man suit uses the Raimi style pattern. The Raimi pattern was specifically designed so that the seams would be covered up by the urethane webbing, including that little "dimple" in the chest. People then started making other designs using the same pattern, since it's fairly easy to sew, and now it has become the standard base for fan made suits.

That's interesting - I got my pattern from Gunhead (who does amazing work) but is there some alternative out there? Maybe He could transfer his design to a different pattern.

Not really much you can do. Maybe you can *try* to very very carefully sew that "dimple" and fold it in a bit more? But i doubt that would really make things any better

Maybe this will fix it. This pattern doesn't seem to have the same hole in the neck area all the other patterns have. It's highly detailed and free.

https://sellfy.com/p/BHua/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kenlandrum's pattern and Ken always uses the standard dye sub pattern so... it still has the hole in the neck. He probably just added the webbing at the middle in case somebody had to make the neck a bit looser so that the pattern doesn't break up the webs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this will fix it. This pattern doesn't seem to have the same hole in the neck area all the other patterns have. It's highly detailed and free.

https://sellfy.com/p/BHua/

But the problem area is here:
ghj.jpg

This pattern by Timey Wimey (whoever that is) seems to have seams closer to the film version and that might eliminate that accursed dimple, but I can't seem to find and printed versions of this pattern. Here is his pattern:

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 11.12.57 PM.png

Where does one get a blank version of these patterns? I would love to draw my own! Lord knows I've done crazier things.

But the problem area is here:
View attachment 743903

This pattern by Timey Wimey (whoever that is) seems to have seams closer to the film version and that might eliminate that accursed dimple, but I can't seem to find and printed versions of this pattern. Here is his pattern:

View attachment 743904

Where does one get a blank version of these patterns? I would love to draw my own! Lord knows I've done crazier things.

Timey Wimey once shared the pattern for free on this page for a limited time. I'm actually using his pattern for my build. If you wanna see a suit that uses this pattern, I recommend you check out MAXIMUMUS on YouTube. He's made great progress with his suit and the pattern actually looks great!

Timey Wimey once shared the pattern for free on this page for a limited time. I'm actually using his pattern for my build. If you wanna see a suit that uses this pattern, I recommend you check out @MAXIMUMUS on YouTube. He's made great progress with his suit and the pattern actually looks great!

You have the pattern? Are you willing to share? That way maybe we can provide it to someone who may be able to fix the dimple curse once and for all. Like I'd try an get it to this crazyfranky guy or possibly prime props maybe even gunheaddesign. This would be effing amazing. If the RPC STUDIO PAINT homecoming suit didn't have the dimple it would be near perfect.

You have the pattern? Are you willing to share? That way maybe we can provide it to someone who may be able to fix the dimple curse once and for all. Like I'd try an get it to this crazyfranky guy or possibly prime props maybe even gunheaddesign. This would be effing amazing. If the RPC STUDIO PAINT homecoming suit didn't have the dimple it would be near perfect.

Yes I do have the pattern and yes I am more than willing to share it. However, I'm held back by the idea that Timey Wimey took the pattern out for his own reasons. It's not my right to distribute something which I don't own. You could try to contact him here on therpf. Here's the link to his thread where he initially uploaded the pattern files and eventually stated he'll stop sharing the pattern.

It has just come to my attention, my decision to post less on this thread has caused offence, where I neglected to specify that the Google Drive Folder no longer works, so I could more swiftly improve more personal projects. In hindsight, forgetting my initial intent this has neither been for charity or my own literal profit. I am glad this was free and no longer isn’t quite available, because it has opened new channels for my own development. I am currently learning and working with some really talented people to develop something that gives my abilities justice (not to toot my own horn). In short, I don’t think I should modify the first post or shut this down, based on how people are occasionally posting here, but I should have said “The files are only for those who downloaded it while it was still up. It’d be better for me if no new people have it.” If you need me to behave differently here, or do something, tell me.

Yes I do have the pattern and yes I am more than willing to share it. However, I'm held back by the idea that Timey Wimey took the pattern out for his own reasons. It's not my right to distribute something which I don't own. You could try to contact him here on therpf. Here's the link to his thread where he initially uploaded the pattern files and eventually stated he'll stop sharing the pattern.

Okay thank you. I don't understand why he would stop sharing. It's for the best of the entire Spidey community. That fricken dimple kills me. And I hate seeing people spend all that money for the RPCSTUDIO Paint suit just to have that damn dimple ruin it.

Okay thank you. I don't understand why he would stop sharing. It's for the best of the entire Spidey community. That fricken dimple kills me. And I hate seeing people spend all that money for the RPCSTUDIO Paint suit just to have that damn dimple ruin it.

I believe the reason he stopped sharing them for free is he and a few more people here on the forums are working together to create a screen accurate suit using his pattern. (link here https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=277652) Similar to RPC Studios' screen printed suit, only much more accurate even with the seamlines and I think it could actually come with much better quality. And yeah, the dimple drives me nuts too. Looking at their Non-RPC paint suits, they're overpriced by about $200. You can get a zentai zone suit with *slightly* less quality for $65.

I believe the reason he stopped sharing them for free is he and a few more people here on the forums are working together to create a screen accurate suit using his pattern. (link here https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=277652) Similar to RPC Studios' screen printed suit, only much more accurate even with the seamlines and I think it could actually come with much better quality. And yeah, the dimple drives me nuts too. Looking at their Non-RPC paint suits, they're overpriced by about $200. You can get a zentai zone suit with *slightly* less quality for $65.

Agreed. Even zentai zentai now has a "platinum" quality suit with 3D spiders front and back plus leather like material for the black sections and its only $300. The print just doesn't look very vivid in the pics to me but it's still best bang for your buck.

That dimple means you need to see further than the ends of the guide lines. (They are only a guide afterall)

That neck "hole" is what seamsters refer to as a dart, designed to take in, and narrow material. Just sew on the outside of the lines and further than the points and you're good to go.

Nick

Kill the dimple! I'm glad this dimple is getting some heat!

Side note: After buying an RPC costume I'm underwhelmed on every level - communication - quality - sewing. Is there someone out there that is undeniably better? The world of zentai suits is dicey at best.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back