Willy Wonka Prequel

902-willy-wonka-quotes.gif

To this day, one of my favorite moments from any movie is Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka freaking everyone out on the boat ride:
Not sure about my memory, but his exchange with Roy Kinnear:

"What is this, Wonka, some kind of funhouse?"
"Why, having fun?"

Well ... Ryan Gosling's done good work ... he could pull off a good performance like Wilder's. He could certainly follow the strategy that Wilder said he did in interviews.

But wait, what's this…

with a script by Simon Rich (The Secret Life of Pets).
Forget it. That film ripped off so many other animated animal movies I'm not sure there was ANYthing original in it. :p

Not sure about my memory, but his exchange with Roy Kinnear:

"What is this, Wonka, some kind of funhouse?"
"Why, having fun?"

Well ... Ryan Gosling's done good work ... he could pull off a good performance like Wilder's. He could certainly follow the strategy that Wilder said he did in interviews.

Yeah, there are so many good lines in that movie. How about:

Charlie: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned alive in the furnace, will they?

Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

I think Gosling's okay, just not very memorable. Wilder was one of those rare actors who could convey joy, menace, wit and intelligence all in a single line reading. There are probably a few actors around who could play Wonka but not too many could make him as interesting as Wilder did.

I'm going to have to watch the WORLD OF PURE IMAGINATION documentary on my anniversary boxed set again. So many of the cast had great memories of that film, particularly Mr. Wilder. There was so much he packed into that, and I think I recall he was hesitant to taking the job. A kid's movie? A musical kid's movie (all right he already did The Producers, but still)? But as much as the production design, the script, Mel Stuart's direction. Wilder MADE that movie work with his multifaceted portrayal (and eating teh confectioner's wax teacup). Any followup movie has GOT to have a sterling script, and a great actor.

Gosling's a damn good actor. But I doubt they'll hold off on rolling cameras until they get a perfect script.

\\ Posted from an iPad Mini kybd — intelligibility is circumstantial //

You.would figure Depp's flop-up film would have taught a lesson to other film makers. Will this ever end?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I like Depp a lot, but no one can come close to Wilder. It continuously annoyed me when people would try to tell me how "Dark" Depp was...made me think that many people just don't remember Gene Wilder on screen. Yes, Gene Wilder was capable of being fun, light hearted, and kid friendly at times...until you looked at his eyes and realized that he might, at any moment, pull out and axe and just start chopping people up. All while singing about how pretty the color red is.

They should go dark, like really dark. Willey Wonka is a serial killer and has a candy truck. He kidnaps children, stunts their growth on a candy only diet which in turn makes their skin jaundice. He no longer sees them as children and dubs them 'Umpa Lumpas'. The naughty children get turned into his masterpiece candy bar called 'Soylient Green' (Why not..... since they are raising every other franchise from the dead.)

Wonky gets seed money from a guy names Walt who prods him to make a large child friendly theme park. Wonka runs with the idea.......

Multi-quote broken, can't find a way to quote. You'll have to figure it out. [And WTH does Tapatalk subscribe me to e-mail updates instead of control panel updates, like I have set in site options?? Grrrr.]

... It's not filmmakers who are trying to do this, it's executive suite. $_$ in their eyes like old Warner Bros. cartoon characters.

There was a back story, or part of one, hinted at in the Mel Stuart film. The Tinker tells a foreboding tale to Charlie. Always liked that part, and the Slugworth scenes. I always remember a serious "uh-OH" feeling when that actor showed up whispering to one of the kids.

Dahl didn't write a prequel, but a sequel: Charlie And the Great Glass Elevator. I don't remember much beyond the Vermicious Knid (?).

We can't forget the contribution of Harper Goff. As imaginative as Tim Burton is, I don't think his version equaled the charm of the Disney veteran's work.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back