BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Holo-jukebox

BruceKenobi

Hi Guys!!

Have you seen the new featurette for Blade Runner 2049? it features an incredible retro-futuristic concept: a holographic video jukebox or Holo-jukebox (maybe not the best name I know) you can check it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBsjZgu7T2U some screen grabs show some features of a typical Jukebox:

Blade Runner 2049 - Holojukebox - full view.jpgBlade Runner 2049 - Holojukebox - inserting coin.jpg

Maybe there would be a way to make it happen.....like a very thin fabric inside the class bell, projecting from a pico-projector, I recognize the typical carousel from the own jukebox (wurlitzer 1015), but this form factor is amazing, did anyone else catch it?

I caught it...seems like a difficult prop to get/make. Seems that there's some metal pieces, maybe those "fins" supporting the glass globe were added for effect. The rest seems to be CGI effects.

I'm giving DarkKnight a like for the pure sarcasm, which I am sure was meant in the friendliest way possible, thanks for the chuckle. :lol

As for the prop, Probably extremely hard to get it to look good.... the whole thing under a glass dome, you have nowhere to hide any tricks or gadgets to produce the hologram.

Maybe a transparent plastic figure, but how good is that going to look really?

Maybe solid with the figure cut into the solid glass like one of those tourist gift things.....
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/light-Up-Laser-Crystal-holographic-Glass_60119667397.html
But that will need to be pretty big and difficult to get custom done.

I think that the holo is the least of the problems with this prop. First, I think that an original juke was used and transformed heavily. Those "plexi-fins" on top (the one holding the glass case and disc carousel) don't seem part of an original (I'm thinking late 40' s/early 50' s model...I could be wrong)...not enough details have emerged to make it close enough.

I thought a projector at the center of the carousel projecting over some thin fabric (nylon?) for the outer cabinet, reminds me of an old AMI Continental jukebox, or at least its style.

Small holograms have been done for real with a spinning mirror and a fast projector, but the mirror would be partially visible as a dark blur.
Even then, where are you going to get a 3D animation of Sinatra? ;)

Static 3D models can be laser-engraved in 3D into rectangular blocks of glass. The engraved dots show up white in the transparent glass and can be lit from below.
Most that you see are rectangular blocks -- which will refract the model inside onto each face - but these blocks could be cut and polished into a dome shape.
The dome on the jukebox is quite big though ... I'm guessing that it would be quite expensive.

I was referring to a solid glass dome... Not really feasible, no. Maybe for a scaled trinket.
BTW, I think that maybe the spherical data crystals were made that way.

I wonder if an image could be projected onto something like aerogel, or if that would blur the image too much.
I have seen images onto mist and a waterfall, but there is significant blurring.

Hi!
I came across this board as I googled "holographic jukebox in Blade Runner 2049."

I've recently watched the DVD and as a jukebox enthusiast I was impressed by the way it had been made.
Particularly with the selection buttons, which seemed like the vintage system where a latch solenoid resets the buttons after you've selected a track.

Last edited:
Hi!
I came across this board as I googled "holographic jukebox in Blade Runner 2049."

I've recently watched the DVD and as a jukebox enthusiast I was impressed by the way it had been made.
Particularly with the selection buttons, which seemed like the vintage system where a latch solenoid resets the buttons after you've selected a track.

Hey Buddy, I was giving this some thought, I have a jukebox myself, glad to meet another jukebox enthusiast, the finishing on the movie prop indeed is top notch, and I like the mix of old and new style, so far though, no plans for making this

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back