Hasbro DH-17 conversion

3DImpact

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Inspired by spacebob's blaster (http://www.therpf.com/f79/spacebobs-blasters-220233/) when I first joined on here a few months ago, I've been working on my own conversion of a Hasbro NERF 'Rebel Blaster' into a somewhat more proper-looking DH-17.

compare_03_small.jpg

I had intended to wait to post here until I had the final weathering step done, but (1) due to other commitments it's going to be a while until I can get to that and (2) now that it's all done I kinda like that brand-new look. I'm going to go ahead and weather it, but I might stare at it in its pristine state for a bit first. :)

I did pretty much all the standard things you'd want to do - cut off all the NERF hardware, sand off the logos and warning labels, fill in the screw holes, etc. I modeled and 3D printed a D-ring for the rear. I wasn't quite up to the task of properly stretching out the main tube as you can see in spacebob's thread (I just don't have the proper tools and work space for that), but it's still been a fun exercise. I didn't obsess about filling and smoothing out every seam line since it's not all that accurate a model anyway (but still pretty close!) - it's mostly just been a learning exercise.

The main fun was trying to get the front end of the Single Point looking better. After cutting off the existing plastic dome (in order to get rid of the colored plastic under the glue line) I modeled and 3D printed a holder for the fluorescent orange/red rod. I used a 3/32-inch rod from Plastruct (item 90272). I was thinking I was going to have to use a plastic cap from one of the many hair care products in the stores, but then found out that trooper here makes the proper domes (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255815). Here's an image to compare:

dome_caps_small.jpg

The simple plastic cap would have worked and not look all that bad, but I'm glad I didn't have to settle.

scope_dome_comp_01small.jpg

So, that's it for now. A rather modest little project, but I had fun with it and am happy with how it's turned out so far. I'll post a follow up when I have the time and can gather up the courage to beat it all up and weather it and make it look like a properly used blaster.

Dan

That looks great! I just drilled a tiny hole in the end of the cap and with a drop of super glue slid in
a WD-40 straw. I was not able to get the clear cap off anyway.

IMG_0615.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back