Neill Blomkamp's Oats Studios

I think one of the goals is to expand these out to movie length shows. There has to be some exposition and premise explanation.

Yeah, SOME exposition.

Ruairi Robinson's Leviathan comes to mind. Very little exposition up front. Great little teaser!

Exactly, but there are lots of short filmmakers who can tell compelling stories in a short period of time without having to pile exposition on the viewer. Even if Blomkamp wants to make these into features at some point, nothing says he has to tell the bulk of the story in these shorts. Pick some part of the story and tell it. Or tell a side story while introducing people to the world. I don't want to have the plot explained to me, I want to experience it. He's breaking the #1 rule of writing.

I like it better than the first one...and yes, it's not made on the cheap. Agreed with Cephus: don't tell me the story, gimme parts and let me experience it.

These are experimental films. They are not meant to be seemless perfect narratives. Experimental films often have no narrative at all and are like fever dreams.

I loved Firebase. I have a thing for Vietnam films. The exposition at the end didn't bother me in the least.

BTW. The suit and prop rifle reminded me of a short film set in WW2 that was released a few years back. Project Arbiter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWQHBsalOM

i was really liking it up till the point where they reveal that the River God basically.... what? Got really angry... and that somehow manifested his powers?

Up till then I was thinking maybe it was something we dropped on the villages that mutated him...like a crazy agent Orange sort of thing. THAT might have worked. But this sort of anime-style idea that he just got so angry that his reality changed? that seems too far out there for me.

Was that B.D. Wong, though? Sure looked like him!

im very positive about all of these so far . love it . keep up the great work . love his style . everything he says mimics my ideas and child hood lol . guess that's why im a huge fan . just wish fox would have let him make the Aliens movie we wanted .

I can't decide if I like these or not...
They look great...
Maybe if I watched them again with the assumption that these are more nightmares than stories I'll appreciate them more.

34878791404_cb4a3e4d82_o.jpg

Last edited:
Both of them make no sense. What comes out has no relation whatsoever to what went in. It's just something weird for the sake of something weird. Total crap.

Attachments

• DEKTlfyUIAAF6Bq.jpg
    DEKTlfyUIAAF6Bq.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 211
  • DEKTlf2VYAATJNE.jpg
    DEKTlf2VYAATJNE.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 209
  • DEKTlfyUIAAF6Bq.jpg
    DEKTlfyUIAAF6Bq.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 202
  • DEKTlf2VYAATJNE.jpg
    DEKTlf2VYAATJNE.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DEJ0u9lUQAAL-FF.jpg
    DEJ0u9lUQAAL-FF.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DEJ0u9lUQAAL-FF.jpg
    DEJ0u9lUQAAL-FF.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back