Beginner Star Wars modeling

Falcon78

So me I have been doing a lot of model building in my life time like building tv and movie cars. Or airplanes. Maybe some times a ship.
But since I have found this forum I have wanted to get in to doing sci if models like Star Wars and others. So dose any one have any suggestions on how to get started with Star Wars. Modeling and what I mean by that is how to weather the ships I ask that because weathering is hard because it looks like it's either to much or too little

the basics for me

a variation of the black basing method (i.e. prime black or a dark color. airbrush on a base color leaving a little of the darker color showing through in recessed areas etc...

use pastels and oil washes and airbrush to add grime and streaking, rust effects etc...

mist coating to kind of dull down contrast

Rub down with steel wool

After the initial paint layer, the weathering, mist coat, rub down can be kind of iterative as you build up layers

this thread might also help
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=159749

I don't plan to airbrush yet. I only plan to use panel lining, weathering, and acrylic brush painting do you think I can get away with a basic window exhaust fan or should I still invest in a portable airbrush booth with a proper exhaust fan? I have to do all of this in my bedroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
the basics for me

a variation of the black basing method (i.e. prime black or a dark color. airbrush on a base color leaving a little of the darker color showing through in recessed areas etc...

use pastels and oil washes and airbrush to add grime and streaking, rust effects etc...

mist coating to kind of dull down contrast

Rub down with steel wool

After the initial paint layer, the weathering, mist coat, rub down can be kind of iterative as you build up layers

this thread might also help
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=159749

I use exactly the same technique, and love the results.

I use the salt chipping technique for all squadron markings like the red markings on the x wings (because for some reason they haven't found a good primer in the star wars universe)
it's super simple and provides great results when not over done!

SW models are where I started when I got back into the hobby after a 20 year break! You really can't make a mistake as the studio models are poorly and over weathered to begin with! ( all that was needed for filming miniatures)

I alos like panel preshading for my Bandai kits because you can over spray in the base colour until you geet what you like, and cover it completly should you not like it!

I don't plan to airbrush yet. I only plan to use panel lining, weathering, and acrylic brush painting do you think I can get away with a basic window exhaust fan or should I still invest in a portable airbrush booth with a proper exhaust fan? I have to do all of this in my bedroom.

You can get the colors for many vehicles pretty close without needing to airbrush. And you can paint the markings with a regular brush (I often do it myself)

Tie fighters for example, you can use Tamiya Haze Grey TS-32 right out of the can for a pretty close tie color

You can use Tamiya AS-20 overtop of AS-16 and/or black primer to get the colors for X-wings and As-20 and white over black primer for Y-wings.

There are a lot of good spray can colors that can get you close enough

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back