Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (DICE)

I've played the heck out of this game since launch but between the stagnant maps, my average (at best) skills and the broken progression/crafting system, I've given up for now. I'm sure an update will bring me back but overall the game; despite being beautiful and sounds great, is pretty frustrating for the average "old guy" like me.

Lol. EA faced huge backlash over micro transactions and pulls them from the game,are now upset the game underperformed. So how will they fix it you ask? They're bringing back micro transactions. You seriously couldn't make this stuff up.

Ben

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/s...c416&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

There are people on PC Gamer defending this crap. I wrote that it's like Ford saying their truck with bad wheels isn't selling. So they fix the wheels and it still doesn't sell. Then they go back to selling a truck with bad wheels.

I wanted them to fix it so I could play it, but apparently they are going full stupid ahead.

I've played the heck out of this game since launch but between the stagnant maps, my average (at best) skills and the broken progression/crafting system, I've given up for now. I'm sure an update will bring me back but overall the game; despite being beautiful and sounds great, is pretty frustrating for the average "old guy" like me.

Same here. I'm not a die hard gamer, I'm a casual gamer who wants to enjoy the game in small doses. Playing alongside overpowered pros and me with a BB gun isn't a lot of fun. I read somewhere the biggest request was more offline maps with enemy bots, especially starfighter. So what does EA offer for the next update......online jet pack battles. Yeah, sounds like loads of fun.
And now the micro transaction is back. Why? Well, the casual gamer is mostly gone, sales have essentially ceased, so now they have to monetize it to the hardcore guys who live on the servers and want newer and better toys to play with, and they'll happily pay for the privilege.
It's not like the sales numbers were garbage. They outsold almost every FPS game out there, but the game cost a fortune to make and EA was counting on micro transactions to make their profit. Perhaps it is time to reconsider raising the retail ceiling of about sixty bucks per game.

I suspect Disney is getting such a huge cut of the profits that EA is struggling to meet some target margin. Truth be told, if this game was Star Battle or Klingon Wars (and didn't feature the skins of my favorite movies), I'd probably have skipped it entirely.

I had hoped that micro-transactions were going to be considered gambling and made illegal.

They were a bad idea guess EA forgot how much their stock dropped. Hope it drops again.

My son who is almost 5 loves playing in Aracde mode. His new thing is standing against a wall, throwing a grenade, and killing hitself....

Yeah ah me and my son love arcade mode. We just stuff around as different heros killing each other. I just wish they added more maps to arcade.

Ben

I had hoped that micro-transactions were going to be considered gambling and made illegal.

They were a bad idea guess EA forgot how much their stock dropped. Hope it drops again.

Yeah me too. They will lose out again I bet. I can't find any pro micro transactions people in social media feeds. People are angry and are over them.Theres a very bad taste left in people's mouths over the initial release and backlash. People can't believe they are going this route again. I ain't paying more than the usual price for a game anymore. They can get lost. As much as I enjoy the game for the most part I just can't justify the $. If I have to I'll stick to arcade with my son.

Ben

I thought I heard if they added them back it would just be for cosmetics, not for progression. Is that incorrect?

Thats one rumour but they haven't fully announced anything yet. They say they will soon. If that's the case though I'm fine with it.

Ben

I guess nobody was paying attention when they initially removed microtransactions and said they would be bringing them back at a later time when they revamped the progression system. They have said since day 1 that they will be adding them back so not sure why anyone is shocked or outraged now. They didn't try to hide and sneak it back in or bamboozle anyone. The belief is that they'll be for cosmetic items and even if they weren't I think it's hypocritical of complaining about "p2w" and people getting advantages due to money when those same advantages are being handed out right now to those with more time then other to play.

An advantage is an advantage is an advantage. doesn't matter if it's given due to disposable income or time sink You're either against at giving people advantages or your not. it's not good for the longevity of the game anyway. new players are dealing with trying to overcome not only a skill gap but also a gear gap, same with returning players who may have taken a few months off and more importantly it punishes the people who have been playing since release but fall behind because they have life responsibilities and can't afford or have the time to game 4+ hours a day.

Granted those players who can play more often and longer will be a bit more skilled but when you take that gap in skill and add weapons and cards to further that gap. You create a very steep obstacle for people to overcome that just ends up frustrates them and drives them away, and now you get to watch your player base dry up because you implemented a very unfriendly and punishing system for current, returning and new players that has very little to do with skill.

In reality, PvP games shouldn't have a progression system anyway. That stuff belongs in RPG games, not a Team vs Team pvp game. All weapons and cards should be available to players from the start and wins and losses happening based on skill and teamwork or lack of.. Not which team has more kids who have less responsibilities in life to grind out better weapons and card upgrades. Progression system also encourage selfish play, instead of having 2 teams trying to win and play their best.. now you have games with teams peppered in with players who aren't trying to win , play their best or even care about anything but trying to farm up their 3029 melee kills.

that's my hot take anyway.

I guess nobody was paying attention when they initially removed microtransactions and said they would be bringing them back at a later time when they revamped the progression system. They have said since day 1 that they will be adding them back so not sure why anyone is shocked or outraged now. They didn't try to hide and sneak it back in or bamboozle anyone. The belief is that they'll be for cosmetic items and even if they weren't I think it's hypocritical of complaining about "p2w" and people getting advantages due to money when those same advantages are being handed out right now to those with more time then other to play.

OH! I paid attention when some state senators and even other countries went after EA games. Calling it on line gambling and pushing to make it illegal or determine if it violated existing rules.

For me it was the fact that I didn't care that EA games wants to bring them back. I'm sure cigarette companies want to give out samples to get kids hooked and create a "new norm".
I prefer politicians stay out of it and let the market place and consumer decide. The market and consumer already spoke and EA shareholders felt it and subsequently ignored it.

Yet there is still the question if the micro-transactions violate on-line gambling laws then EA needs to feel the ramifications of their actions.

And I completely agree that progression doesn't belong in PvP.

I really wish we had the better graphics combined with the style of the older Battlefront games.

I paid attention when they stated they would be back BUT that was BEFORE their major share market drop. Thought they might go a different route now. Say what you want about micro transactions, they are nothing but pure greed plain and simple no matter how they are dressed.

Ben

Well it would be one thing if they actually fixed the system before they put the microtransactions back in. It's another when they put it back in and don't fix anything. It's purely to get their money back from lost sales.

current inconsequential peeve: It already bugged me in the last game that voice playback sounds would lag behind, so that after you died you'd hear "there's someone on your tail" or "they're getting a missile lock". That was a big No S Sherlock.

In BF2 they've made a POINT of it. It's beyond a "no duh" and straight into busting your balls.

I just had one after a crash that said something like "you've experienced a fatal deceleration".

F You, game!

Bug fixes are great, but how about an attitude adjustment, BF2?

In reality, PvP games shouldn't have a progression system anyway. That stuff belongs in RPG games, not a Team vs Team pvp game. All weapons and cards should be available to players from the start and wins and losses happening based on skill and teamwork or lack of.. Not which team has more kids who have less responsibilities in life to grind out better weapons and card upgrades. Progression system also encourage selfish play, instead of having 2 teams trying to win and play their best.. now you have games with teams peppered in with players who aren't trying to win , play their best or even care about anything but trying to farm up their 3029 melee kills.

Agreed. The best PvP games don't bring upgrades/powerups/weapon unlocks into the mix. Halo, Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Siege come to mind. For those, there are cosmetic things you can unlock/purchase, but they don't affect the core gameplay. What EA/DICE have done with Battlefront actually DISCOURAGES the majority of players to continue playing the game. Getting you *ss handed to you over and over isn't a motivational thing to make you want to keep playing in the hopes of unlocking some OP weapon that might give you a shot of doing well.

Right now, my take on Battlefront 2 is that it looks great with awesome maps, but it lacks that competitive feel that makes me want to keep playing. Its not the Star Cards, its just that you die way too easily in the game from so many different things (blasters, heroes, AT-STs, AT-ATs, turrets, grenades, etc) that your entire gaming session feels like all you did was run towards the objective, die, sit in the respawn screen for 10 seconds, and repeat. Strategy and skill don't feel like they really matter much in this game, thus there is little drive to keep playing in order to get better.

Oh - and they need some new maps. The Starfighter Assault map from The Last Jedi was very weak - space junk? Really? Where's the Dreadnaught?

This is too little too late IMO. I was hoping they would quickly fix the progression system, like a month after release. Then maybe I would have still bought it.

This is why I'm fed up with big game developers. The smaller games work feverishly to fix their issues as soon as someone sends them a bug report. Battlefront 2 comes out to a bunch of criticism and they weight their options for a few weeks to figure out how they can still get away with making loads of in-game purchases.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back