Paint removal???

number9

I have a kit from 1977 that came with chrome-plated plastic parts that should be more of a dull chrome. I was told that using a bleach solution would remove the chrome-plateing. The instructions say that it is styrene. Will this weaken or destroy my kit?

Cheers to all.

No it won't damage the kit. Model chrome plating is ridiculously easy to remove in most cases. Often it will happen right before your eyes. I always say, start with the gentlest product first (doesn't get much more so than Simple Green), and then move up if that doesn't do it. But bleach is a good bet.

Remember that it has nothing to do with actual chrome plating. It's really just a layer of lacquer with aluminum to provide the shine.

-Rog

Worked like a charm. IMG_2606.JPG

Yeah, anything that's a strong, corrosive base will give good results at eating most types of paint. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) has a pH of around 12 or a little higher, as do most variations of sodium hydroxide like oven cleaner, Super Clean, Drano, et cetera. And they're pretty gentle on plastics.

Anyway, glad it worked out.

-Rog

If you are just removing the chrome, a can of Coke should do the trick.

Removing old paint (30+ years old) I've had success with Super Clean and Easy Off.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back