Airbrush help?

Laspector

Master Member
I recently acquired some airbrush stuff from a friend who was just giving it away. I've never airbrushed before, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what I've got here. Maybe you guys can help me.
This one has the air from a can. It works (meaning air comes through) but it doesn't seem to pull any paint out. The cannister is full, but just air comes out. How do you get the paint to flow. The only way I can get paint out is to turn the darned thing upside down. IMG_0304.JPG

This one was brand new but I can't figure out how to attach the other end to the air supply--totally different kind of threading.IMG_0305.JPG

This one completely baffles me. There is no where at all to attach a hose. WTF?IMG_0307.JPG

Out of all this crap I don't seem to have one single functioning unit. A little help? What have I got here?

ok... first one...
Looks like a typical starter airbrush. Single action meaning you press the trigger and it sprays. A double action trigger moves to increase or decrease the flow of paint.

Since you're getting only air, first thing I would do is ditch the cans. As you use it, it gets cold and as it gets cold the pressure hits the floor. Very annoying. Get a small compressor. Since it's got that tape on it, it may have an issue. First make sure the nozzle is open for the paint. if that's not it, then you're going to have to CAREFULLY take it apart and see if there's any dried paint in it.

Second airbrush...
similar to one I have, but still single action. As for the attachment, you'll need an adapter to go from that 1/2" (i think) to the smaller one on the can attachment. But again, forget about the cans. Get a compressor and you won't need the adapter.

Third one...
baffles me too, but it looks like a liner brush of sorts. If it is a liner brush, then it's something you put paint in and when you press the trigger, it flows and you can create long lines with it.

if you have a brand name and model number I can find out exactly what it is... they all look like Badger products though.

As for them not working... chances are they're clogged and in need of a very good cleaning and possibly some replacement parts since there are some tiny bits that are easily lost rendering them non-working.

One more thing... since they're single action, if the needle is too far forward in the nozzle, effectively closing it, you won't get paint out. You need to loosen the small nut at the back (or in the case of the 1st one, take the cover off) and move the needle back very slowly until you start to get pain flowing when you hit the trigger. This is also how you're going to regulate the amount of paint you're throwing. With the 2nd airbrush you can also change out the nozzle and needle for heavier flow rates.

If the first one is similar to the Revell starter airbrush, you might need to adjust the nozzle position. You can turn the nozzle and it will move forward or backward. There's only one position which works well, but you have to find out where it is by adjusting it while spraying. I found the Revell starter airbrush to be really annoying, don't expect great results with similar ones.

Okay, for the first one: there should be a small Pipe sticking in the Paint Jar, just like on the second one. As far as i can see, it´s gone, so there is no paint flow.
Should be an easy fix.
The second one looks like a Badger 200. You´ll need an original hose to connect it with the Can, since Badger uses M5 threads. Also an easy fix.
But what the third one is, I´ve got no clue...

Okay, after doing a research for airbrushing for Dummies, I found out that yes, the first one is missing the siphon straw. None of the siphon straws for the others will fit it, so I guess that one is out. Shame, too because there is only one job I need it for. I recently purchased the 31" Nautilus from Bob Martin and am attempting to recreate his paint job here--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8DmtnCI4lo
That's really all I need it for.

So anyway, I just went and bought a small compressor for $90. This project is turning out to be way more expensive than I thought. The kit itself was almost $400, not to mention about almost $200 more for supplies and such. whew.

Like I said I am attempting to mimic the video (the link should take you to exactly the right place in the video). I think I've got the second airbrush going, but have no experience and the airbrush has no extra tips. What do I do to get the size spray he is using? Not too wide, not too small.

Is there a way to adjust the flow? Also, what psi should I set the compressor at?

EDIT: by the way all three of these are all brand new, never used. All three still had the shrink wrap on the boxes. The first one I put the tape there, because the air pressure from the can keeps blowing the hose off the airbrush.

To adjust the spray size you need to turn the adjustment screw at the end of the airbrush counter-clockwise...
This makes the spray cone broader...
Normal operation pressure should be around 30 psi...

Gesendet von meinem HTC One max mit Tapatalk

I didn't even notice the siphon tube missing in the first one. That would do it though.... lesson learned: drink coffee and fully wake up before giving advice.

Still lookin for that 3rd one though... Any markings or model number on it to narrow it down?

Yup. Just like Teddz said. A liner or pinstripe brush, but it can be used for many other applications including cake decorating. No air supply needed as it is a gravity flow.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back