Help needed regarding paint/primer

Jimmer

Had a couple of rookie questions if anyone has the time.

Is Model Master Primer compatible with Testors Spray paint? (I have Model master grey primer, plan on using Testors Chrome spray enamel).

I have a model where I have sprayed some parts with Testors Metallic Silver (1246), and read that Model Masters and Testors gloss and dull coats are not compatible with this metallic paint. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so what would be the best final coat to use? I considered using Pledge Multi-care floor finish as a gloss coat first, then dull down with testors dull-coat. Would this cause problems?

Finally, I have a bandai R2 (dome painted Testors metallic silver, body not painted) and was going to (1) apply decals using Micro Sol/Micro Set, (2) use Pledge Multi-care floor finish as a gloss coat, (3) use testors dull coat to remove some gloss. Will this cause problems with the decals where Micro Sol/Set was used?

I'm going to experiment as best as possible with decals on sprues, but I do not have any "junk" Bandai models to test with (other than sprues) and I have read that Bandai plastic can be problematic with certain paints.

The Model Master Grey Primer and Testors Chrome will be used on an AMT Batmobile kit. I live in a small town and hobby shop is an hour away. I had girlfriend grab primer on her shopping trip and she picked up wrong brand. I can return it, but was hoping to get kit done this weekend if I can verify that mixing the two brands should be ok.

I know that's a load of info to cipher through. If anyone has insight or experience with any of this thanks in advance.

you should only have compatibility issues if its the lacquer based stuff, like how people try to mix oil with enamel (krylon and rusto). but then again I always just use enamel on everything I paint, unless its weathering, then I do acrylic washes over the enamel base coats. when in doubt, the walmart cheapo primer is pretty good for what it is too.

I wouldn't use Testor dull over the pledge floor finish which I think is acrylic and Testors is a Lacquer which might attack your pledge floor finish, I would use Testors gloss coat and then applyTestors dull coat, as for the primer you shouldnt have a problem using testors paints over model masters primer which is made by Testors, but I would always test first, for primer I always use grey primer from duplicolor with great success, it applies super fine and smooth I just find those little testors or Tamiya cans way too expensive.

GFollano

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back