Subscribe
    From
    Toronto, Canada
    4 Weeks Ago  May 23, 2017, 1:49 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1101

moffeaton said: View Post
    Form 2 printer?
    Yep

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    From
    Warrenton, Virginia
    4 Weeks Ago  May 23, 2017, 3:22 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1102

I have almost pulled the trigger on this printer a couple times, but I am worried about the frequency of purchasing the print tray. Now that I know this is what you have been using, my finger is twitching on the trigger again.......

Gus76 said: View Post
    Yep

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    4 Weeks Ago  May 23, 2017, 5:22 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1103

Dobber said: View Post
    No problem Gus76, you deserve it.

Here are some pictures of the parts straight from the bags with NO clean up.
    I like how the shield generators come with their own Go-Go dancer cages, to protect them.
    From
    UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 1, 2017, 4:07 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1104

Here's my cheap alternative to a Tamiya hobby drill for doing the FO - a tiny 12V DC motor with 600RPM reduction gearbox and a mini chuck on the end, for the sum total of 5 quid. I also bought a PWM speed controller in case it was still fast enough to melt the plastic, but it seems perfectly fine without.

Sample holes in the sprue tab.

The only small problem is the motor shaft is a fraction smaller than the chuck, so it's a bit of a sloppy fit. Need to shim it out with something.

3 Weeks Ago  Jun 1, 2017, 6:51 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1105

Antsnest said: View Post
    Here's my cheap alternative to a Tamiya hobby drill for doing the FO - a tiny 12V DC motor with 600RPM reduction gearbox and a mini chuck on the end, for the sum total of 5 quid. I also bought a PWM speed controller in case it was still fast enough to melt the plastic, but it seems perfectly fine without.

The only small problem is the motor shaft is a fraction smaller than the chuck, so it's a bit of a sloppy fit. Need to shim it out with something.
    Nice! Do you have links for where you sourced the parts?
    From
    UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 2, 2017, 2:42 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1106

Hagoth said: View Post
    Nice! Do you have links for where you sourced the parts?
    Motor:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-600...-/141870843449

Chuck
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-0-3-3...item568cdad716
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 2, 2017, 9:39 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1107

Ah, It comes as a complete unit for the motor and reduction. Thanks!
    From
    UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 2, 2017, 11:05 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1108

Hagoth said: View Post
    Ah, It comes as a complete unit for the motor and reduction. Thanks!
    Yeah I was amazed at how small and well made it was when it turned up! Immediately started thinking of other uses.
  9. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 2, 2017, 11:29 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1109

Some listings say revolving speed 600rpm and others say 30rpm. Would the slower speed be better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 2, 2017, 12:24 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1110

ggriffaw said: View Post
    Some listings say revolving speed 600rpm and others say 30rpm. Would the slower speed be better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Same question. 600 rpm or 300 rpm? You might get better torque out of the 600...?
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 2, 2017, 12:56 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1111

With a 3mm shaft on the motor and a 3.17 ID on the chuck a few wraps of tin foil (0.02 thick sheet) or one wrap of foil tape (0.08 thick) should tighten it up nicely. Just overlap or butt up the starting and ending of the wrap on the flat.
  12. RPF Premium Member Antsnest's Avatar
    From
    UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 4, 2017, 6:15 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1112

Was just messing about with the drill for a whileand it ground to a halt. First I thought I'd burnt out the motor, but tuned out the gearbox had seized up. A drop of light sewing machine oil and a couple of cranks by hand and all was running again. It's not great under load, but should suffice with a few sharp bits.
  13. Member Since
    Dec 2001
    From
    UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Jun 4, 2017, 12:06 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1113

I'd love a set of Devastator upgrade parts also. I bought loads of random photo etch sets today at a model fair to try to modify mine. The Devastator will always be my favourite Star Destroyer.
  14. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 6:46 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1114

Just a couple of questions about doing fibre optics...

Can you use fibre optics, LEDs and LED strips together?

With fibre optics, I've read in this thread that it's best to drill first, then install the fibre optics and leave them out, extended, then paint and finally, cut the fibre optics to size, correct?

Do you glue the fibre optics into the drilled holes? Or leave them loose? I presume the former...

I have zero electrical knowledge and cannot solder...so lighting for me is prolly a no go.

I think I can stretch my funds to get one of the Zvezda units direct from the Russian federation. The kit looks easy enough to build from what I've seen, and I'm pretty inexperienced (been a long while since I've built a kit). Anything that I should look out for?
  15. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 10, 2017, 6:56 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1115

dpastern said: View Post
    Just a couple of questions about doing fibre optics...

Can you use fibre optics, LEDs and LED strips together?

With fibre optics, I've read in this thread that it's best to drill first, then install the fibre optics and leave them out, extended, then paint and finally, cut the fibre optics to size, correct?

Do you glue the fibre optics into the drilled holes? Or leave them loose? I presume the former...

I have zero electrical knowledge and cannot solder...so lighting for me is prolly a no go.

I think I can stretch my funds to get one of the Zvezda units direct from the Russian federation. The kit looks easy enough to build from what I've seen, and I'm pretty inexperienced (been a long while since I've built a kit). Anything that I should look out for?
    As far electronics knowledge, you should probably read a primer post here or SSM. Can't remember where it is or they are, but look in the pinned posts here or the electronics section of SSM. They really simplify it. Soldering is quite easy and you can watch a few youtube videos to see this. But it may not matter. There are ways around soldering and there are even ways around the electronics knowledge. You can find other products that have LED light already. Small flashlights that they sell as impulse items at hardware stores--that comes to mind. You might have to jimmy-rig the on-off switch, but that's among the most basic electronic tasks, really. So don't just write it off.
    Mike Todd
  16. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    2 Weeks Ago  Jun 11, 2017, 5:39 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1116

Dedalus5550 said: View Post
    As far electronics knowledge, you should probably read a primer post here or SSM. Can't remember where it is or they are, but look in the pinned posts here or the electronics section of SSM. They really simplify it. Soldering is quite easy and you can watch a few youtube videos to see this. But it may not matter. There are ways around soldering and there are even ways around the electronics knowledge. You can find other products that have LED light already. Small flashlights that they sell as impulse items at hardware stores--that comes to mind. You might have to jimmy-rig the on-off switch, but that's among the most basic electronic tasks, really. So don't just write it off.
    Mike Todd
    If I had someone local in Brisbane to teach me in person, I'd prolly be OK. I learn terrible from videos or books.
  17. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    1 Week Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 7:25 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1117

Has anyone heard anything about a US release?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    1 Week Ago  Jun 13, 2017, 7:41 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1118

ggriffaw said: View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about a US release?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    There are a couple places taking preorders. Latest guesstimate is July.
  19. RPF Premium Member Antsnest's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Jun 14, 2017, 2:08 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1119

I hope they have secured a larger availability for the US than they did in Europe - it pretty much disappeared in a week or 2 of release!
  20. Member Since
    May 2014
    1 Week Ago  Jun 14, 2017, 2:26 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1120

More like an hour or two....
    1 Week Ago  Jun 14, 2017, 6:21 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1121

I hope they have secured a larger availability for the US than they did in Europe - it pretty much disappeared in a week or 2 of release!
    Yep, they definitely misunderestimated the demand for this kit.
    From
    Danville KY
    1 Week Ago  Jun 14, 2017, 6:45 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1122

That's why I just ordered another Zvezda and said to heck with Revell, while they still fumble with their SW license.

On a side note, I think Zvezda just released another run or something as eBay has exploded with listings. The other day there were five or six, now there are 37!
    Last edited by Robiwon; 1 Week Ago at 7:10 AM.
  23. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    1 Week Ago  Jun 15, 2017, 3:36 AM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1123

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...P/DSC_0479.jpg
    what size drill bit are you using? that looks spot on!
  24. RPF Premium Member Antsnest's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Jun 15, 2017, 1:33 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1124

LoadingPlatform said: View Post
    what size drill bit are you using? that looks spot on!
    That's a 0,5mm in the picture, but I haven't started drilling in earnest yet!
    From
    Danville KY
    6 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2017, 4:30 PM - Re: New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit #1125

Well, it took almost a week for the seller to drop my SD off at his post office. But, it looks like it is now ready to leave Russia as it was processed thru St. Petersburg yesterday.

Edit- Processed thru NY yesterday and should now be on its way!
    Last edited by Robiwon; 4 Days Ago at 9:49 AM.