Revell 1/51 Resistance T-70

DirtyBrush

Hey guys, it's been a while since I last put up a post about my model making, and to be honest it's been a while since I made a model! So I figured I'd get back into the swing of things with a nice easy model that I've been wanting to make a companion to my Poe T-70 build...

14341677_10154188461412013_2028693753_n.jpg

One thing I wanted to do with this build was to try weathering with oils rather than acrylics, and I don't think it turned out too badly. Although I definitely need to be a little less heavy handed next time around.

14330868_10154188461922013_713794388_n.jpg

I went with the standard Resistance blue and white scheme, which was ideal because I absolutely love weathering white, it's second only to yellow in that respect.

In my Poe build I used a spare pilot from Revell's snowspeeder kit, and so I simply used the other chap from the kit this time around.

14341651_10154188462877013_23519719_n.jpg

I also kit-bashed a different kind of BB unit using BB-8's body and an R5 astromech head (1/72 scale but oh well); I've christened him BB-5.

14365510_10154188462847013_335918740_n.jpg

14331654_10154188462822013_540082550_n.jpg

After the pilot, droid and cockpit were finished I started in on the X-Wing

The paintjob was fairly straight forward. I started off with a basecoat of white, and then painted in the blue areas with an indigo shade. I then dry-brushed a lighter electric-blue colour over these areas, bringing the panels up to a more film-accurate colour.

14349151_10154188461702013_1832507563_n.jpg

After the base colours were there I then brought out some brown, black and white oil colours. I mixed these together in varying shades and, after thinning them with spirits I applied them along the panel lines of the fighter. Once the oils were on I left them to slightly dry before rubbing away the majority of the paint with a cloth in a backwards direction. This allowed the paint to remain in the panel lines but also produced a streaky effect that moved towards the rear of the fighter, as if dirt was pushed in that direction by high-speeds.

14348919_10154188461532013_1876630327_n.jpg

Once all the panel lines were done I then gave the whole model a drybrush in white to highlight the edges and also to cover up some of the heavier areas of oils.

I then went in and painted some blaster scorch marks and general burn areas.

14365402_10154188461612013_1767737090_n.jpg

14355885_10154188461807013_2069394291_n.jpg
14341871_10154188461887013_1023059133_n.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with the result, but what do you guys think? If you have any advice about weathering with Oil paints I'd love to hear it!

That does the trick! Very similar process to my recent Hasbro Rebels Falcon 'facelift'. Have you given thought to using any pastels? They provide fine scorch effects...

R/ Robert

Looks great. I'd say you got the hang of using oils for weathering

Thanks very much! They were a different beast compared to drybrushing and acrylic washes...

That does the trick! Very similar process to my recent Hasbro Rebels Falcon 'facelift'. Have you given thought to using any pastels? They provide fine scorch effects...

R/ Robert

I'll have to check out your build! Do you have a thread for it? And everytime I see someone using pastels for weathering I always make a promise to use them in my next build, but I never get around to purchasing any... do they take much getting used to?

Using the Snowspeeder pilots is ingenious! I didn't know that they would fit. I'll be getting some for my planes! :)

Thank you, Galactican! As for the 'speeder pilots, I bought the model to use for spare parts and thought, since this X-wing is 1/51 and the 'speeder is 1/52 the pilots should fit. However they are a little on the small size when you compare them to the droid and cockpit, so I reckon the pilots are undersized rather than the X-wing being oversized. I think if you have any 1/48 pilots that are a little smaller than usual they'd look a lot better! But for someone who isn't too fussed about a slight difference in scale (me, haha), they work well :)

You need to change your name to Awesomebrush! Beautiful work all around, you nailed it:thumbsup

Haha, thanks very much man! I'll take the name change into consideration ;)
Although I'd have to change the awful way I treat my brushes...

I'll have to check out your build! Do you have a thread for it? And everytime I see someone using pastels for weathering I always make a promise to use them in my next build, but I never get around to purchasing any... do they take much getting used to?

Pastels are one of the easiest ways to weather

The hard part is getting them to stick sometimes. I find it best to do on surface with a little bit of a "tooth", or sometimes I will moisten it it bit

There are many weathering powders which are meant to do the same thing, but I just use regular artist pastels

I use an exacto to shave the pastel making a nice pool of dust. Then use an old brush and brush it on

I use it to create streaks, shade areas, provide general grime etc

The only problem is sometimes coating with a varnish after that will undo some of the more subtle work

I typically do several iterative layers of pastels and sealing coats to build it up. in many case I won't bother sealing at all though if I won't be handling it much

I typically will use pastels following panels lines, and to simulate exhaust etc...

Gives a very airbrush like effect, but with more control (for me at least)

Pastels are one of the easiest ways to weather

The hard part is getting them to stick sometimes. I find it best to do on surface with a little bit of a "tooth", or sometimes I will moisten it it bit

There are many weathering powders which are meant to do the same thing, but I just use regular artist pastels

I use an exacto to shave the pastel making a nice pool of dust. Then use an old brush and brush it on

I use it to create streaks, shade areas, provide general grime etc

The only problem is sometimes coating with a varnish after that will undo some of the more subtle work

I typically do several iterative layers of pastels and sealing coats to build it up. in many case I won't bother sealing at all though if I won't be handling it much

I typically will use pastels following panels lines, and to simulate exhaust etc...

Gives a very airbrush like effect, but with more control (for me at least)

Thanks for the advice! I didn't realise you could just use artists pastels, I think I actually have a pack lying around somewhere from when I used to draw and stuff
I'll have to give them a try on my next project, which I'm hoping will be that sweet Bandai A-Wing...

Apparently there are 'oil' based pastels and 'chalk' based pastels (essentially, pigment sticks.) I thought the one's I used were chalks but the box doesn't really say. The sticks themselves are square in cross-section instead of the round ones (which look a bit like crayons.) IIRC the 'chalk' pastels are the ones to use for modeling purposes.

Blakeh1, you wrote just about my entire experience with pastels! Bravo!

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back