Kylo Ren Lightsaber

I have the Prop Shop Kylo Ren saber if you need any measurements, let me know. Yours looks good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was there any particular reason you chose this model? It's a little confusing with numerous ones being offered for sale. I have no idea how many distinct models there are. Some may be printing the same model.

The length sounds about right.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I chose this one primarily because my buddy printed one for himself. I was inspired to make one, so I checked it out on Thingiverse. I knew is wasn't going to be movie accurate, but I didn't care. I figured it was close enough for me. Plus, it was a free to download model.

As far as the number of distinct models out there goes, it's hard to say. Movies, to my knowledge, make a few if not several versions of a particular prop. They can vary in size, shape, details and even materials based on what the prop is going to be used for. "Hero" props tend to be very detailed because they are mostly for close-up shots or are used as a show piece for a trade show or advertising. "Work" props tend to be less detailed because they are seen from a distance or they need to be more comfortable or easier/lighter for the actor to hold.

I haven't done enough research to know how many versions their are of Kylo's lightsaber. I just did a google search and found some images I liked for reference on the coloring and weathering. Even the same exact model of lightsaber is going to look a tiny bit different from the next one based on who painted it and when.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referring to the number of distinct fan made 3d models. Two sellers of printed sabers may be using different models or the same one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I was referring to the number of distinct fan made 3d models. Two sellers of printed sabers may be using different models or the same one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ok. Not sure what to tell you. There could be as many of or more fan made ones as the one actually made and used in the movie.. I guess I would just say to do your research and find one you like or is the most screen accurate in your assessment and go with it.

Happy hunting!!!

Sneak peek! Almost done. Just need to spray a couple coats of clear.

image.jpeg

Here is a list of all the paint I used for the hilt.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Primer:
Valspar premium primer with Micromist spray - Grey

Base Coat:
Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic paint & primer - Carbon Mist

Testor's model paint:
Metallic Red - 1152-RM11521_0611 - red cable and side emitters
Gloss Red - 1103-RM11031_0611 - red cable
Metallic Gold - 1144-RM11441_0611 - accents and side emitters
Gloss Light Blue - 1108-RM11081_0611 - blue cables
Artic Blue Metallic - 1109-RM11091_0711 - blue cables and side emitters
Flat Brass - 1182-RM11821_0711 - accents
Flat Steel - 1180-RM11801_0611 - accents, emitters, lower inner core
Semi Gloss Black - 1139-RM11391_0611 - shadows
Graphite Metallic - 1153-RM11531_0611 - tonal accents

I haven't had a chance to get the clear on the hilt, but I decided to post some pics of the final look. It's not much different from the previous images, but I have added and weathered the red cable running down the hilt. It really seems to finish off the saber and I am please with the results.

Once I get the clear on the saber, I will post some more shots, but until then, enjoy these shots.

28897242683_ce3375f218_h.jpg
KRS Almost Done by J_Whit, on Flickr

28897229593_d8b0ab6188_h.jpg

28894490404_c44c24fc15_h.jpg

28900178523_ff424d68df_h.jpg
KRS Lightsaber almost complete by J_Whit, on Flickr

Have you ever considered doing one on commission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't given it much thought, but I appreciate you would suggest that to me. I take that as a great compliment!

Not sure what to think only because I didn't create the model. I did print it, prep and paint it, but the hilt itself is not my original modeling work. If I were to model one up myself that would be different or if you already had a model or something like that and you wanted me to paint and weather it. Shoot me a PM if you are interested at all.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back