Star Trek Beyond - Kirk's Mug

Thanks, I appreciate it. I tried searches for pine, urban, and coffee mug and got nothing.

Okay I vaguely recall now the thing I read was actually citing the interview rather than the actual interview so they may have been paraphrasing. Closest I found just now while revisiting the search on your behalf was this:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...trek-beyond-karl-urban-and-john-cho-interview

My reasearch went like so: having read the original piece I saw and another that identified it as the IKEA mug and verifying optically that that was clearly true my "research" if you can call it that ended and I forgot all about the sources and ploughed on with how it could be built.

Sorry about that, @MrSouthpaw I wish I could be more specific. My research rigour is less well developed than my creative spurts, what can I tell ya. :D If you like I can spend a bit of time going through my browser history but right now I'm a little pressed for time.

Phil

Okay I vaguely recall now the thing I read was actually citing the interview rather than the actual interview so they may have been paraphrasing. Closest I found just now while revisiting the search on your behalf was this:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...trek-beyond-karl-urban-and-john-cho-interview

My reasearch went like so: having read the original piece I saw and another that identified it as the IKEA mug and verifying optically that that was clearly true my "research" if you can call it that ended and I forgot all about the sources and ploughed on with how it could be built.

Sorry about that, @MrSouthpaw I wish I could be more specific. My research rigour is less well developed than my creative spurts, what can I tell ya. :D If you like I can spend a bit of time going through my browser history but right now I'm a little pressed for time.

Phil

I wouldn't worry about it.

just bought 2 of them yesterday at Ikea local store for 2euro each (the code is 102.773.66)

now i am looking for:

1) the trek mug logo (and the one posted by Cmdr.Kerner seems too thin, as showed in this photoshop test)
star_trek_beyond_mug_ikea_test.jpg

2) a shop where they print it on your own mug

looking at this photo and the above screenshot, i ended up that the logo should be printed on both sides
Photo-May-21-12-49-38-PM.jpg

star_trek_beyond_mug_ikea.jpg

Photo-May-21-12-49-38-PM.jpg

star_trek_beyond_mug_ikea_test.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres my attempt, I used the above file and printed onto sticker paper. Cut out the logo with blade under magnifying glass to make a paint mask.
However once i removed the sticker, it dragged both edges of all the black lines with it. Had to then fix up the paint by hand with a brush and fine tune with a blade under magnifying glass.
I did both sides and pretty happy with the result

26996568_10156173484662049_968945835_n.jpg

Hi all, my first post on The RPF forums after some time browsing.

Just wanted to add a little information to this thread as to how I think this mug was produced for the film, great find BTW on the mug in Ikea.

I believe that they had the mug sprayed with a sublimation coating then the logo was simply printed onto paper in reverse with sublimation ink then heat pressed onto the mug, it sounds like a long and arduous process but the kit is pretty standard and most prop makers should have it and it would last longer on set than stickers or being painted on.

If this was a standard sized mug then I could print one off and have it ready in under 5 minutes, say 20 minutes if the cup was not already coated with the sublimation primer.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back