Best way to paint/coat Mjölnir?

dnwrld

A couple weeks back I went to a local con and bought a Mjölnir hammer for my brother....and then proceeded to drop it and watch it explode. So I went back, got him another one and had this one carefully packaged. But suddenly I had an extra hammer and thought "why not fix this and make it awesome?". So that's what I've been doing.

So far, I filled the inside of the hammer with "Great Stuff", which helped bring it back to one single piece and some of the cracks. The side symbols were too messed up to do anything, so I sanded them off. Today, I filled up the sides with some spackle to even it out with the rest of the surface. I'm waiting for it to dry so I can sand some more and see if anything needs more spackle.

But now I've run into a dilemma. I need to paint this thing, and I have no idea what might work best for this (this is my first project). After watching some Tested videos I was somewhat tempted to use aluminum tape, but I have no idea how I would hide the tape edges so it's not obvious. Which made me thing "perhaps there's a better way to do this". So, any ideas guys? Any help would be appreciated. Here are some pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/b5sEW

Sidenote: it doesn't matter if the handle gets damaged in this part of the process, it is being replaced later.

I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to mention something. There are guys (here included) that make 3d printed versions of those end-cap runes. While you're in the process of rebuilding this you could potentially glue on the new runes and blend them in with bondo to complete the correct look. Just a thought.

Dope

I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to mention something. There are guys (here included) that make 3d printed versions of those end-cap runes. While you're in the process of rebuilding this you could potentially glue on the new runes and blend them in with bondo to complete the correct look. Just a thought.

Dope

To be honest, I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility. I had just assumed the runes were gone for good. I'll have to check out Shapeways. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you wanted it shiny like aluminum tape then I'd go for Ace Rust Stop Aluminum spray. If you have a smooth primer coat then it comes out very nearly like chrome.

If you wanted more of a rustic look then I'd start with black and drybrush with successive coats of silver mixed with black (less and less black each time) until it's as silver as you want. If you're using acrylic (as I probably would), then don't forget the clear coat. If you use enamels then you could skip that.

-Rog

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back