Star Trek Rank Pips

Why not get a magnetic set like the Anovos ones?

Those from the reviews have pins that poke through the uniform and go into the pip (kind of like an earring). I personally wouldn't want to poke holes in my uniform unless I really had to.

Why not get a magnetic set like the Anovos ones?

Those from the reviews have pins that poke through the uniform and go into the pip (kind of like an earring). I personally wouldn't want to poke holes in my uniform unless I really had to.

Ive done research and these a nearly exact replicas of the original screen used ones, My uniform is going to be 100% screen accurate ( if even possible, probably is not ), the originals even sometimes used earring clasps and all the screen used ones poked through the uniforms, With that said, I have the undershirt in command red and if anything I will put them on and that will be it, they will stay on for its life ( unless I wash it ), if I wanted to I could buy teal and gold undershirts and just buy more of them ( After all they are only 20 bucks compared to the 60-$75 Anovos ones that are nowhere near accurate. I originally was going to buy the Anovos, but I need to save money for the Star Trek Convention and Comic Con.

Gotcha. In that case, as long as the colors are right, it seems to have decent reviews. I would say try them, or you could make your own with pins.

Ive done research and these a nearly exact replicas of the original screen used ones, My uniform is going to be 100% screen accurate ( if even possible, probably is not ), the originals even sometimes used earring clasps and all the screen used ones poked through the uniforms, With that said, I have the undershirt in command red and if anything I will put them on and that will be it, they will stay on for its life ( unless I wash it ), if I wanted to I could buy teal and gold undershirts and just buy more of them ( After all they are only 20 bucks compared to the 60-$75 Anovos ones that are nowhere near accurate. I originally was going to buy the Anovos, but I need to save money for the Star Trek Convention and Comic Con.

Are the screen used rank pips actually from cheap painted plastic? I know the original communicator badges are just plastic, but I always thought the pips are from metal.

Are the screen used rank pips actually from cheap painted plastic? I know the original communicator badges are just plastic, but I always thought the pips are from metal.

Nope not metal for most, think about it….. they were spending so much money for the shows, and for something so small and less visible onscreen for every star fleet actor, than other stuff, they were made of either resin or plastic, I think resin was the most commonly used especially for the Com-badges, as I have a exact replica of the com badge and it is a plastiky resin. I believe the Com badges were made of the same resin too. Thats the key to Star Trek props..Resin…Resin and More Resin. Even some tricorders and props were mostly painted resin out of molds. But to answer you question yes metal was used for most main actors…sisko..picard..riker

So yes maybe not cheap plastic, but…. some resins used resembled cheap plastic, and they rarely used metal for anything. Watch " First Contact ", when they have close ups of Data in the beginning his rank pips are clearly not metal.

Nope not metal for most, think about it….. they were spending so much money for the shows, and for something so small and less visible onscreen for every star fleet actor, than other stuff, they were made of either resin or plastic, I think resin was the most commonly used especially for the Com-badges, as I have a exact replica of the com badge and it is a plastiky resin. I believe the Com badges were made of the same resin too. Thats the key to Star Trek props..Resin…Resin and More Resin. Even some tricorders and props were mostly painted resin out of molds. But to answer you question yes metal was used for most main actors…sisko..picard..riker

So yes maybe not cheap plastic, but…. some resins used resembled cheap plastic, and they rarely used metal for anything. Watch " First Contact ", when they have close ups of Data in the beginning his rank pips are clearly not metal.

Update, so yes metal was primary used, mainly for those main characters captains, and so on. But…some, very minimal such as mentioned " Data" were made of resin. I just did more research and found that out… Sorry for any initial confusion

The pips were antiqued brass.

iirc the ones made for Anovos are made by the same person who did them for the show.

Get both if you can, I know Anovos is out of stock but they really are beautiful, the anovos is on my Next Gen Tunic and they look EXACTLY like the ones I saw when I was on set

The pips were antiqued brass.

iirc the ones made for Anovos are made by the same person who did them for the show.

Get both if you can, I know Anovos is out of stock but they really are beautiful, the anovos is on my Next Gen Tunic and they look EXACTLY like the ones I saw when I was on set

Thanks Apollo, I am very much considering getting both, but for the price and since Anovos is out of stock ill get the resin ones, repaint them and then as soon as Anovos Re-stocks ill pick some up

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back