Animatronic MPC/ERTL Snowspeeder

Krest

Hi all,

I've always liked the MPC Snowspeeder, one because it's quite big and easy to detail, second it's movable flaps and air brakes make it easy to present it in a dynamic flying pose.

This is the third time over the last 20 or so years I am building this one and with the advances is electronics I wanted to go step further this time. This Snowspeeder will be an animatronic Display.

First I got the good old Snowspeeder off eBay. And since those pilots are infamous for being totally off proportion-wise, I also bought two sets of 1/24 Fujimi drivers. I'll have to see how they fit once everything is installed.

snow_box.JPGfigure_box.JPG

IMG_4035.JPGIMG_4036.JPG

Next I bought some really small RC servos.

The plan is for the steering flaps to move independently and the air brakes to move together.

The air brakes are connected with a piece of sprue and held in place with brackets I made of polystyrene.

IMG_4076.JPGIMG_4077.JPG

The steerings flaps are a little trickier since they should move up and back – I'm not sure how to get that motion with the little room I have in the speeder. I might just settle with them opening with a simple hinge.

I won't be going for the totally accurate studio-model look. Some tweaks here and there, but it's all about the motion. The whole thing will be driven by an Arduino mini which should fit between the gunner and the "heat sink".

More updates will follow soon.

Cheers

Till

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it. Will be watching your progress on this with great interest.

Have one of these, I bought back in the 90's, somewhere in my storage locker.

Will need to look for it next time I'm home.

I agree I never realized how big this kit was. All I ever built was X-wings and a Star Destroyer and i think a falcon.

Hi all,

on we go: I painted the air brakes and and the wells red and while waiting for the paint to dry, I cut a slot in a PVC foam board and mounted a rail with a sled beneath it. It's made from meccano parts and will allow the Snowspeeder to move forwards and backwards.

Foto 26.05.16, 14 06 42.jpgFoto 26.05.16, 14 07 15.jpg

Then I 3d-printed some hinges. The hinges hold 2.5 mm aluminum rods and are responsible for tilting the Snowspeeder. I bent one rod so they will line up behind each other, allowing for a narrower slot (3 mm).

Foto 26.05.16, 14 07 38.jpgFoto 26.05.16, 15 16 22.jpgFoto 26.05.16, 15 20 18.jpg

Foto 26.05.16, 14 40 13.jpgFoto 26.05.16, 15 20 46.jpgFoto 26.05.16, 16 02 52.jpg

On the metal sled sits an RC servo which pushes the hind rod up or down and thereby tilts the Snowspeeder.

Another servo pushes the sled back and forth. Connected with a simple linkage made of meccano parts.

Foto 26.05.16, 16 02 59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is neat. I've always wanted to motorize a model, but don't really have much experience in way of RC stuff. It also made me think of this. Too bad the snowspeeder is only for little figures :D Although you should put a coin slot in the box for shows and exhibits ;)
coin_operated_kiddie_ride_with_ce_baby_car.jpg

Did some work on the pilot & gunner.

I added the straps and the ankle band using heat shrink tubing. Then I made a pattern for the vest which I cut out of gaffer's tape.

Foto 26.05.16, 16 38 31.jpgFoto 26.05.16, 16 43 05.jpg

Added the crests on the helmets and mounted the heads one looking to the left, the other one looking slightly up and right. Then I added the arms and after some drying i heated up the arms to move them a little. I used a little file to add some wrinkles back, that were lost through heating.

Foto 26.05.16, 17 15 34.jpgFoto 26.05.16, 17 24 58.jpg

Last edited:
Very good so far (flaps and tilting model)...It seems that the sliding part is a little rough; is there a way to make it smoother?

Thank you all for the great feedback.

Very good so far (flaps and tilting model)...It seems that the sliding part is a little rough; is there a way to make it smoother?

The 3d printed hinges are a little weak/too loose and that's why the Snowspeeder wobbles. It might go away once all the weight of the rest is added, otherwise I will have to redo the hinges. I'll have to look into that.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back