Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan - Field Jacket Replica Mark II

Felgacarb

Sr Member
Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan - Field Jacket Replica Mark II

Other possible thread titles-

"Oops, I did it again"
Faking Trapunto: The Final Frontier
You know they've made movies since 1983, right?
If at first you're not OCD enough, try try again.

The item being discussed:

I have decided to make a second attempt at replicating these jackets. I was pretty happy with my first effort, but I have learned a bit more about them since they were completed in 2011, and my costuming skills have improved a little, and I believed I could do better.

Mostly I just still really like these jackets as a costuming item.

The truth is, when all is said and done, and these jackets are worn to various costume events (The 50th aniversary of Trek in Las Vegas this year being the big one) most people will just assume these are the same jackets they saw us in two years ago. I know this, and it is okay. I am making these jackets for me, and I will appreciate them enough for it to be worthwhile.

However, a goal of this thread is to help alleviate that issue a bit- anyone reading this and checking out the photos will now know the difference! (Probably. It may be subtle...)

Since my first attempt, you can now buy replicas of these online, at many various (All Chinese I believe) cosplay shops:

Right! My intention was to do a bit better than that. In fact, this time, I am trying to make the best dang replica of this costume yet seen.

Some history- here are the various threads detailing my previous efforts:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=104923

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=105456

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=152752

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=106796

And here are a couple of pictures of where I am today- I plan to do actual photoshoots eventually, where I will use the entire costume, include Mrs. Felgacarb, and invariably photoshop in some cheesy backgrounds- for now, though, a side-by-side comparison. New jacket on the left, old on the right:

If you'd like to see how I got to this point, I have a build thread over on the 1701st, which is a great Star Trek costuming site:

http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/topic/3042/WIP-Field-Jacket-Felgacarbs-Mk-II

The biggest differences have to do with hand stuffing details instead of quilting them, finding a more accurate lining material, and upgrading all of the hardware. (Most of which I modeled and 3D printed this time.)

Stay tuned for better photos as things get completed and worn!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Here are some more pictures, these ones a bit closer up. The details were the point of the build, so lets see a few more of them!

The Chest Box is once again made from a Band-Aid tin (as the originals were) but this time the details were 3D printed rather than scratch built. I had realized that the delta and circle emblem was almost certainly a metal TMP leftover, and since I had a couple of those, I could get the measurements just right to replicate them this time.

The Barrel Latch is still a bit of a mystery, but my new fake ones are at least an improvement over my earlier fake ones!

The Briefcase Latch is also 3D printed, and while I didn't include the actual locking mechanism, these do stay together better than the last ones. (I designed in a flexure/friction closure.)

This is the only replica I've seen that has the correct 'three ridges' around the elbow pads- (my last ones only had two...)

Now, if I could only convince Mrs. Felgacarb to wear the Saavik ears...

There is still some hand stitching left to do before these are completely done. To make the improvements over the last version mostly consisted of doing a lot of hand-stuffing and then hand stitching...

Last edited:
Here are some more details- these are some of the models I made in CAD for the jacket hardware:

The "Barrel Latch" - I still don't know what this really was:

26592493381_d38265ec53_c.jpg

Clearly it was a found item, I'd guess some sort of clasp you'd find on a purse, but I've never been able to track the real thing down. And you need four of them per jacket!

The "Briefcase Clasp" I've seen many things close to this, but never the exact one....

26564824442_b625827524_c.jpg

26054141973_49902832bc_c.jpg

Since I was modeling these from scratch, the back of this part was a good place to 'sign' the jacket:

26564824572_70bc18dcb9_c.jpg

The "Chest Box" is a pretty fun prop all by itself:

26384810220_2b864b5bce_c.jpg

26052246974_1d17e9ae2c_c.jpg

One of my favorite parts of any project- parts arrrive!

26054228113_a265832df1_c.jpg

26384979210_950802c910_c.jpg

26384978700_b990e7e20c_c.jpg

Hooray! Time for cake!

26052208194_4b9b9b743a_o.jpg

Last edited:
Your work is fantastic, it's no wonder these costumes cost so much money, the amount of work that goes into something that was seen on screen for maybe ten minutes, blows my mind. Imagine if you had to do the same thing for 20 other costumes at the same time in 6 weeks, Robert Fletcher is an amazing designer.From start to finish how long did it take to produce version 2?

From start to finish how long did it take to produce version 2?

Thanks!

Looking back at the pictures, the 3D parts I received back in October of 2015- I started actual sewing construction in January 2016. I had many other things going on at the same time, so I think I put in around 40 - 60 hours at the sewing machine, and that much again with the patterns, the 'fiber fill' hand stuffing, and all the hand stitching (which is still not 100% done!) That is the big difference between the earlier version and these- the hand stuffing and stitching...

Thanks, vaderdarth!

Still have yet to do a proper photo shoot, but here is a quick peek of Mrs. F trying hers on with the new pants...

(You can still make out the pins in the lower sleeve section by the wrists- I still need to sew those closed!)

26276732413_070ea97a43_c.jpg

such an awesome job on a jacket that I wanted since i was a kid. I bought a snowboarding jacket just because it reminded me of the field jacket.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back