Suit Material Help

NeonBerZerKer

ok, so I'm looking to make an undersuit for a suit of Sci-fi style armour I'm creating but I have no idea what to use. What I would like to use is the same material they use for Superman (Man of Steel) Spiderman (Amazing Spiderman), or Supergirl. The "nanosuit" style material. If anyone knows what that is then could you please let me know. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

your looking for 4 way stretch Spandex. (Also known as Lycra and Moleskin) There are 2 way and 4 way stretch spandexes. It best to use 4 way stretch. Make sure its stretches in all direction. The weight of the spandex will tell you how thick it is. The heavier the weight the thicker and less opaque it iwill be..Also when you sew it use a Zig Zag stitch, or if machine has it a stretch stitch you can use that.. This will allow the fabric to stretch at the seems and help prevent puckering. Also stretch the seam a little ( a little not a lot) as you sew it, this also prevents puckering when the garment is worn.

thanks man, I thought it might be something like that, but I guess what I'm really after is the design on it. The hexagonal texture, is it printed on or can you get it with that "3D" texture?

The materials for some of the films you're talking about are custom-made fabrics that have depth printed on to them... like the Batman v Superman costumes. It's not cheap, and it's definitely not easy to come across... yet. Previously people would layer textures on (either using a mesh overlay, or using puffypaint to add some details), but both were tricky. I wish that there were an easy answer to get ya what you're looking for, but as of right now, I'm not sure that there is an easy solution!

-M

I recently made a CW Supergirl costume for a friend and she found the screen printed stretch fabric by a company in the US called In Disguise Designs. A little pricey, but really nice quality and the print stretches well with the fabric. They mention they do custom prints as well, so maybe contact them?

If you have an overlocker/serger, you can also use that instead of a zig-zag stretch stitch.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back