Negasonic Teenage War-thread

ShanJ

Please excuse my terrible pun.
Hi all, I'm going to attempt making a Negasonic Teenage Warhead costume from the Deadpool movie. Thought I might dump all my research and reference images in here, as well as ask some questions, for anyone who might want to follow.
First off, images. There will be some repeats in here, mainly because I'll have the full-sized image and then a cropped version.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg
Her suit is definitely made out of at least two materials, as well as having an elastic 'strap' of sorts over the bottom of the yellow part of the front of the suit- I'd presume it's also at the back but I need a proper reference for that, not just half-guesses from the ref of her kneeling where you can almost see the back. I believe that the 'tabs' that have the yellow outline are sewn onto that piece, pulling the hips of the the suit in.6snip.JPG

I'm guessing that all of the materials can stretch in some way - or at least I will definitely be making it that way. The yellow material all seems to be a weave of some kind, (though I'm not very knowledgeable in fabric, the majority of my experience is with armour so I'm a bit out of my depth here), so I will be checking with some people I know and getting suggestions on what to use (Please, if you have any ideas on anything, let me know!). It's been suggested to me to work off this pattern and modify it as I need to.

Looking at the side-on image now, it seems as if there are two yellow stripes down the left arm (and possibly right as I have no reference for that side) from just below elbow-down. Zoomed in, the image is quite pixellated so I'll be looking for a better quality one which means I have some questions about the shape of the cuff/those two damn stripes, as well as a ton about the back as I have no full on references for that.

It is very clear that the shoulders are separate parts of the suit to the front part, and ******* those shoulders are the most annoying part of the suit, which I'll come back to.

I have no clue for shoes at the moment, so if anyone had any suggestions, I'd be very happy to ear them.

I was just looking closely at the 'X' symbol on the shoulder of the suit, as I also have no clues on how to make that and realised that while it is only on one shoulder at a time, it switches shoulders. It's easiest to compare in these two images. 5.jpg6.jpg

Like I said, any help is extremely appreciated!

Looking at the junk in the background, her earrings, and the pin on her collar, they just flipped one of those shots :)
I'd say the X goes on her left shoulder, after looking at the shot with her and Deadpool.

Following for sure! I made a (very loose) version for the premiere, but it was basically just black pants, jacket, scarf. It wasn't really very recognizable, lol. I'd like to do her X-Men suit but I've never sewn a bodysuit before so it's pretty daunting, given all the seams and details on it.

I have a couple of screengrabs from the trailers that I'll look at when I get home but I don't think I have any images that show anything different than what you've already got (and in worse quality, since it's a screenshot!).

I agree with Scapey that those last two images are flipped and that the X is on the left shoulder.

Fantastic :D One of the things I've found has helped me on previous costumes is sketching out the shapes pieces should be if separate and laid out flat so I'm currently in the process of doing that. But in the meantime, I think I might've found a ridiculously useful reference - Concept art. joshua-james-shaw-dp-ntw-jjs-2015-01-14aa-2280.jpg
Found here, it's got most of the detail I need (though I'll still look for some movie shots of the back of the costume too) to get a good idea of the details on the back. I still need to find a few more references for the stripes on the forearm but it's a great help. As well, the shot of the back makes me think that instead of a full bodysuit it might instead be pants and a shirt that through the 'tabs' at the side attaching to the pants make it look more like a bodysuit. That also would make more sense in terms of getting the suit on and off as I cant see any zips or anything similar.

I found that picture last night too, and originally thought it might be a 2-piece also! But if you look at the pic below it's obviously a bodysuit - there's a seam at the bottom of the tabs, but they're clearly attached to the pants. I suspect that there's an invisible zipper somewhere but I'd have to see the movie again to see if I can figure out where. The easiest way would be straight down the back, but it's possible (depending how stretchy the material is) that it's down one side under the arm. That would make it so awkward to get into, though, especially if the material is stiff or thick.

I suppose it's also possible they went the same route as some of the Spider-Man costumes and have done a U-shaped zipper in the back (following the line of the yellow panel so the zipper would be concealed by the colour transition) but I don't know how well that would work with the elastic strap (because from the concept art it looks like there's a similar one in the back as the one we see in the front). It's a really odd design. My suspicion is that the artist just didn't add the zipper in the concept art and left it up to the costume department to figure out the best placement.

Negasonic-Deadpool.jpg

I also found a couple of behind-the-scenes pics but they don't offer much new information.

tumblr_o2x8gvKJnj1t2evpso1_1280.jpg Angel and Negasonic BTS.jpg

Did anyone finish their suit? I also agree that the x badge is on the left. It appears to be made out of rubber or something like that. I'm going to try and cast one in a mould for mine. If that doesn't sew on well then I'll make it from pvc fabric. I've got a flat yellow button for the one on her collar, that I will be painting the x on to. For the boots I've just bought some flat soled black boots from eBay, and I'm going to use foam covered with leftover faux leather to make boot toppers.

I'm in the process of working out the pattern for it from scratch, using my measurements. I've bought a fairly thick ribbed yellow jersey for the yellow panels, which seems to give the correct texture. And I have stretch matt black faux leather in a medium weight. Both are two-way stretch and I will have the stretch going horizontally as this should allow better movement.

There's two things I'm stuck on;
1, where does the zipper go? I can't find any references that clearly show the back of her suit so I'm tempted to just put an invisible zipper down the centre back as I have on previous catsuits. Not sure if it would look OK or not though.
2, the piping around the yellow panels and on the belt type piece... I imagine it would need to stretch as much as as the other fabric. Originally I though it may have been made from the same yellow fabric as the panels, but the piping doesn't appear to be ribbed. I was thinking I could try and find a matching colour of spandex and make it from that, but I'm not sure it'll look right.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I think you could make the shoulder patch using Sugru. They have yellow and black available. Dishwashing detergent works as a release agent (if molded) and it's skin-safe to shape (you can wash your fingers with soap). Cures to a silicone-like rubber in about 12 hours. If you want a smooth surface, you can either use a mold or do the surface finish with wet fingers. If you want a suede-like texture, it can be sanded after it has cured.

I plan on making my own very shortly. The rubber patch is definitely on her left shoulder. You'll have a difficult time attaching silicone anything to fabric, so I recommend putting some fabric in the back while it's curing

She definitely does have an invisible zipper down her back. Once I get back to my computer I'll try to upload some screenshots I took from a bootleg stream i found.

I hadn't thought of using sugru, thanks for that idea tiga. I was planning sculpting it in clay, making a cast and casting it in latex. It's usually possible to sew latex onto fabric so I'm hoping that works.

More screenshots would be excellent, thanks Omega. It's a relief that she has a zipper down the back, it's the easiest place to put it.

^ That is extremely helpful thank you!

Sorry for such a delay on these pics (which I had only intended on using for myself so they're in one big ugly collage I am sorry). Graduating college took my attention away from cosplay stuff.

negasonic.png

I've made the first draft to my suit, which I think only needs a little bit of modification to the pattern and I'll be ready to make the full thing. (I'd post a pic but the test fabric I used was two-way stretch and I did not put the stretch in the right direction so it fits poorly and looks embarrassing, especially considering there's no zipper in the back since it was only a pattern test. Maybe eventually.)

What are people thinking about the pin on her collar? I was thinking of just making one out of sculpey.

I know it's not really related to the bodysuit but I finished my version of her first costume for Ottawa ComicCon a couple of weeks ago. I faked the look of the bodysuit under the jacket with a patch of yellow stretch fabric hand-sewn to the pants.

The wig is the Rocky from Arda wigs in dark brown, cut down as short as I could get it without exposing the innards of the wig. The lipstick is Black Truffle from Bite Beauty. Everything else is a found piece or something out of my closet. I bought some fake hoop earrings on eBay but they were horrifically uncomfortable and I didn't wear them any longer than for these pics. I never did manage to find a good fake nose ring but I can always keep looking if I decide to wear the costume again.

2016 OCC Photos by OShutterPhoto 454.jpg 2016 OCC Photos by OShutterPhoto 461.jpg

(My husband is Colossus' motion capture double, a costume that a surprising number of people recognized!)

So... I havent touched this thread in a while when I should've, and I have some huge updates to put in here.
First off, two weeks ago I discovered that Brianna Hildebrand was going to be a guest at a convention soon. And then I re-watched deadpool and as I'd just shaved my hair all off decided to make the entire suit. In 3 weeks. We're doing surprisingly well! This is a quick v1 and I'm not happy with the yellow we're using (I believe the actual fabric to be something like this) as it's actually fairly see-through.
First off, patterns.
We fairly heavily modified the Yaya Han bodysuit pattern - at some point in time I'll take photos of all of the pattern pieces and what we did with them. But basically, we made the 'contrast' part at the front into one piece instead of having a zip down the front and changed the shape of the join of the front panel to the sides as with Negasonic it doesnt ride over the breasts like the pattern. We also changed the pattern so that the front panel stopped just above the crotch instead of going under & joining with the back panel. Instead the kind of 'leggings' became incredibly low-riding pants. We didnt change the back contrast at all & put the invisible zip down the back from the top of the collar to about halfway down. For the shoulders we sketched out the basic flat shape and sewed it on over the arms. We dont have the angles that are in the actual costume but that came up too late for us to do anything about it - something to put aside for v2.

For what we're calling the belt - the elastic around the waist and the yellow-lined tabs, we're dying white elastic yellow and using bias binding around the black leather-like material. I also still need to finish off the sleeves - we decided for having more time to focus on the rest of the details we'd skip the yellow panels at the cuff of them, so all I have to do is turn them up.

As well, I've found a really good (fairly cheap) lipstick that I had sitting around that works quite well - I have a more matte version of this colour but I feel the glossier version is better for her. It's Rimmel Kate Moss Long Lasting 04 (that's a bit of a mouthful).

Your update has been scarily accurate to what I've been doing, actually, right down to dyeing the elastic! (sans being able to see Brianna, bit my convention is at the end of the month!)
I'll upload pictures at some point, I plan on making the shoulder X this weekend and hoping to have the whole thing finished within the next week.

Oh! And I used http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/8588 for her yellow. It has a good weight and thickness it. It's also definitely a four way stretch (confirmed on the description) the title is lying.

I had an absolutely fantastic weekend, oh my god! All the photos I'm getting will be going up on my page as there are way too many to put here. But I got to meet Brianna and got a photo with her and got to chat with her (and Stefan, Colossus's voice actor who now follows me on twitter :D) quite a bit. It's 11:30pm on tuesday here and I should probably get some sleep but I figured I should say something here :D

I figure since I finished too, I might as well post it!
I was still working on the costume in the Green Room 15 minutes before the Masquerade started, but overall I think everything went super well!
I have a few pics up on my cosplay page but haven't been able to find a video of the performance yet--but I won Judge's Choice for quick change and the People's Choice awards!
First awards I've ever gotten ;v;

I ended up using some quick casted silicone for her shoulder patch (which I need to re-position) but hopefully sometime within the next month or two I'll have some pics up of a photoshoot with my Deadpool~

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back