Leather for Rey costume?

Rcampen

Hey guys, after taking my niece to see the knew starwars she immediately wanted to be Rey for halloween, and ofc i have to be kylo.

The problem im having atm is, ive never worked with leather so im unsure as to what i need to work with it and wheres a good supplier in the uk? I think ill only need some off cuts for the goggles and wristband

Not sure about suppliers in the UK, although I have used abbeyengland.com but they may not be the best source for cheaper stuff.

There's actually a lot of tools and supplies you'd need to work and finish leather nicely especially if you're planning on dying it yourself. If you dye it, you'll want to start with natural vegetable-tanned leather. You can also get finished veg-tan if you don't want to worry about that.

Leather comes in different thicknesses or weights ranging from supper thin 2oz to extra-thick 14oz. A belt is typically 10oz or so. For Rey's belt I would go thinner, 6/7 maybe 8oz. The cuff would need to be thinner. I've made some out of 3/4oz leather that seemed about right.

Hi,
As mentioned Tandy and overall ebay offer a lot of ready straps and pieces. But since from what you are saying you only need few pieces I might be able to help you. I'm a leatherworker so I buy leather in large quantities and I always have some offcuts I could send you. It's veg tanned leather you could dye or burnish yourself. Drop me an email ask@mkleathers.pl Also if you (or anyone) have any leather related questions let me know.

Mat

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back