Bandai 1/72 TIE Advanced X1

newsoft75

Hi guys (and gals)!

I thought I'd share my Bandai TIE Adv. In fact, I registered just to do that. :)
I'm happy with the color I achieved. It has that crazy shift from a blueish gray when looking at it, to a paler gray in the pictures. It's actually a mix of Vallejos Surface Primer 73.615 (USN Light Ghost Gray) and Vallejo 70.900 (French Mirage Blue) I think in a ratio of about 5+1. I kind of whinged it. I didn't use washes either because I was aiming for that ILM look, and this kit really captures that. A really fun build!

I also need to paint the stand.

Anyways... Cheers!

TIE5.jpgTIE4.jpgTIE3.jpgTIE2.jpgTIE1.jpg

welcome aboard,

nice clean build, the colour looks spot on, nice to see an unweathered ship for once.

Thank you! Yes I noticed when looking att pictures of the studio model ILM didn't seem to work that much with washes back then.

Welcome to the RPF!

Very nice job and the color looks great!

The Imperial TIE Fighters did have a nice clean look with no weathering. I remember reading somewhere that the Imperial ships were purposely left clean looking to show that they had the resources to have new space craft. The Rebel ships were the ones that were heavily weathered.

ILM deliberately avoided any washes or weathering on this ship- it was supposed to be like the 'General's Jeep'- wiped down and clean.

You really captured the look perfectly- the color looks spot on!

That's very neat, the color is spot on! Question, can you separate the black pieces of the wing panel from the grey? It sort of looks like they come apart just by looking in the box but I haven't started to cut things off and start the build. It would be really neat if you could paint it like the standard TIE without masking.

That's very neat, the color is spot on! Question, can you separate the black pieces of the wing panel from the grey? It sort of looks like they come apart just by looking in the box but I haven't started to cut things off and start the build. It would be really neat if you could paint it like the standard TIE without masking.

the wings ate double molded and can't be separated, unfortunately. It will require masking to paint the wings the color you want.

Super nice! TIE grey is one crazy tone to match isn't it! You really did a good job! I cheated and took the lazy route and bought up a stash of caned Haze Grey.

Steve

I wonder what happened to Vader's ship in universe?

I mean if it was on either the executer or the death star, it was toast, but if it was somewhere else..

the wings ate double molded and can't be separated, unfortunately. It will require masking to paint the wings the color you want.
Ah damn. Shame, the double injection is a pretty fascinating engineering method but I wonder why they didn't choose the way FM went with the Interceptor (speaking of which, want a Bandai Interceptor! :lol).

Super nice! TIE grey is one crazy tone to match isn't it! You really did a good job! I cheated and took the lazy route and bought up a stash of caned Haze Grey.
Steve
I always wondered if you can actually spray it into a can and load it into an airbrush with some thinner...

I wonder what happened to Vader's ship in universe?

I mean if it was on either the executer or the death star, it was toast, but if it was somewhere else..

Pretty much the only EU book I liked, Shadows of the Empire features it, dunno if it's still canon or not. Then again, I guess most people choose their own canon.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back