Padding a Batman cowl to fit

disasterology

Jr Member
Does anyone have a link to a resource (perhaps another thread) or could detail advice on padding out a Batman cowl in order to make it fit perfectly? I don't have my cowl yet, but based on the measurements of my head, I may have to pad it out a little in order to get it to fit and look right. I wanted to study information now so I know what I am supposed to do when the time comes. I did a search, but the only thing I found was the use of a balaclava to fill out a cowl some, not sure if this is always how it's done or are there other better methods? I'm an absolute novice at this stuff. Also, I'm relatively new here, so I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Simply pick up a square piece of foam from Joanns or Walmart or another store like it. Cut a square out and add it to the back of the cowl. I add one to e top as well on the tdk to make the chin fit me better.
Oh an use use superglue to secure the foam. I actually do Velcro on the foam and the back of the cowl so I can adjust it to fit better.

Simply pick up a square piece of foam from Joanns or Walmart or another store like it. Cut a square out and add it to the back of the cowl. I add one to e top as well on the tdk to make the chin fit me better.
Oh an use use superglue to secure the foam. I actually do Velcro on the foam and the back of the cowl so I can adjust it to fit better.
Sounds great, but I was hoping to forego any superglue or anything permanent in case I had to adjust or if I made a mistake. Could I use some type of restickable velcro as an option? Do you have any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

What size head do you have? Some cowl makers offer different cowl sizes. I've used bicycle helmet foam on cowls before, and it works great.
I got a measurement of 22" for my head and the cowl I ordered accommodates up to a 24" head. So I'm guessing I'll have to do at least some padding of some sort.

Hazmat's comment is spot on, you have a 22" head, but the cowl has room for 24", use a balaclava and apply all padding onto it if you're too anxious about gluing stuff onto the cowl (even though i don't think it's a huge deal since none of it will show)

I always use balaclavas, they keep the hair from coming in the way, and are easily washable!

One more thing I totally recommend is using sand paper to sand the eyes, they may be a bit too small or high or low depending on your head/face and as long as its not a huge misplacement you should easily be able to cut and sand the eyes for more comfort! I did it and have no issues.

I have a silicone Freddy Krueger mask that's too big, and found that a couple of folded-up washcloths did the trick. I put them into the mask first, then carefully slip it over my head.

Coofunk is your guy. Use anything. I used plastic wrap, moved it around in front of a mirror until it looked the best and then hist remembered where the padding needed to be. Its as simple, easy and cheap as that.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back