Road Fury Steering Wheel! Please help me ID parts.

For a built from the scrap found in the wasteland... this is going to be a pricey prop.

Cadillac Horn Ring.... having issues finding a reasonable cost one.

Im still looking for the horn ring, pretty sure its not a Cadillac, it sucks because even the artist that made this may not know all the parts. Im pretty sure the chrome sides of the baby face are another car part, it other shots, both sides are connected, as if it was a tail light bezel or something.

The thing you have to notice on the horn ring, is that it may be an upside down three spoke, because of the direction of the spokes, otherwise horn ring is a two spoke with the spokes offset, which does exist. I found about 4-5 different horn rings but not the exact one yet.

Also note that the longacre steering wheel comes in a smooth wheel and a driller lightweight wheel, I just wonder if I get one with the colored cover, is there holes under or not. Someone please post if they get one.

UPDATE, a newer poster indicated the 17" is way too big.

Last edited:
I ordered the 15" smooth wheel, will update when it comes (but I'm not going to get it for a couple of weeks)

And I bought a couple of horn rings for cheap on ebay. The ones I got are old scrappy Ford ones, and are not a full ring, more like a 2/3 - 3/4 ring with three prongs (cost $10 each). I figure I am going for a Nux 'inspired' Steering Wheel.

Nice pic of George Miller with a different wheel.
11270683_681946665244191_6039274465475817123_o.jpg

Thanks Nick! That looks like the correct or a very close version of the NUX center section with the original wheel it came from!! Atleast I know the wheel is a two spoke wheel. I really want to figure out the little trim piece that looks like a gas mask. Its either taillight bezel or parking light bezel.

Last edited:
Interesting photo Nick. But I think it may have been a prototype during pre production. I didn't work on this film, but as the cars were all made here in Sydney Australia, I may be able to help a little. As we don't have many US cars here to source from, the parts maybe from something local. The horn ring reminds me of a 70's Chrysler Valiant and the bearing on the mask looks to me to be out of a rear axle. The conduit has me thinking as we don't have such cables on pay phones. Some friends of mine were on the build, I will try to contact then to see if they remember what they used.

Im still trying to figure out the bezel that fits over the mouth with the bearing in the center, it seems to bridge a few pieces together. I think its either an interior part of a taillight/parking light bezel.
I think I figured out the horn ring, but I have not committed to a steering wheel.UPDATE, a newer poster indicated the 17" is way too big.
spoke holes are set at two different distances, the ones that match are the ones with the shorter distance.
The hornring and most all horn rings are close to 11"-11.5"
So if you overlay the wheel it gives you an approx 18" outer diameter.

As far as the V-logo, I figured it out but just a matter of time until one shows up on ebay or just 3D it.

The bearing is just a matterl for figuring uot the proportion and size, going to the bearing shop and getting a matching timken bearing.

I found the conduit at the swap for 1.00

Last edited:
great ref pic
apparently there was show where the cars were on display, wish more pics were posted.
http://diymag.com/2015/05/14/mad-max-fury-road-exhibition-at-the-o2-london
View attachment 482247

I still have not seen this film yet, but if GM made this film the same as the others, then all the parts will be found items.

That flexible conduit from the front of the baby dolls mask looks to be the same stuff used on desk lamps in the 1980's. I used to have (may still have somewhere) some I took off a lamp after it broke. The lamp I had was an old style 12" flouro tube.

m634548950615560000.jpg

Hey guys, I just decided to build this prop for a costume. I'm glad to see that research is in progress. I noticed something that might help with the base steering wheel. I believe it is this wheel with the cover removed:
http://www.longacreracing.com/produ...minum+-+Red+w/+natural+spokes+and+smooth+grip
My reasoning is that you can see, what I believe to be, cover residue on one of the spokes. The marks are perfectly straight and in the exact location of where the cover ends on the linked wheel.nuxwheelDetail.jpg
EDIT: Upon closer inspection I believe the wheel is actually a covered 15" available from the same site linked above. The slots are too close to the grip part of the wheel for it to be the 17".
If you guys have any more info on any of the other unidentified parts please let me know, thanks.

Last edited:
l. There is one witht he slots closer to the edge. Most horn rings from the 50's-60's are close to 11" across. So if you find the straight on view of the Nux wheel. Just photoshop the scale up and see what gives you. I have yet to order the wheel untill it is a confirmed size. Also note there are about three versins of the wheel. Smooth, dimpled and slotted in the back. Make sure to get smooth. Please report back when you get you wheel.

I have yet to figure out the bezel shape around the mouth of the doll head. Also there are a few new images that surface with more parts on the backside of the wheel.
Also note that longacre makes the quickrelease piece for the back of the wheels

UPDATE, a newer poster indicated the 17" is way too big.

Last edited:
I just did a calculation based on the proportion of the 11" horn ring to the steering wheel and it does indeed look like it's a 17" wheel.

The quick release hub appears to be one like this. I can't find one that is raw aluminum though. So probably going to have to buy a red one and remove the anodizing.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1894/Longacre_Steering_Wheels_And_Hubs

Last edited:
If we assume the horn ring is 11" then the doll head should be about 4.3" at the widest visible point. Have you found anything that will work for that?

I havent gotten that far. I actually work for a company that happens to make tons of dolls heads. I have to take another look. We did a clean up and swear i saw some about of that size dumped away. I'll take a look and post something. I'll try to score a couple. I have some of the conduit already also.

that is about the same size i came up with also.

Side of the head two small co2 tanks. Horn ring could have been three spoke but with the middle one cut-out. The markings from where it was cut could be covered up by the Cadillac emblem. Mouthpiece seems to have old gas-tank parts. Downward pointing piece in front is a gas flare nut. Ribbed circular piece seems like a (hard to find) part of an old gas tank. Could be easily 3D-printed as well. Underneath seems to be a chain guidance wheel of some sort. Reminds me of a multi-gear bikes derailleur, but the "teeth" on the little wheel are spaced too far apart, so it can't be a bike chain.

Last edited:
Bottom wheel could be an embossing wheel as well as used in the leather-business, but it seems part of a machine, perhaps meant for stitching,

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back