Road Fury Steering Wheel! Please help me ID parts.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by nux, May 27, 2015.

1. nux

nux New Member

Sup? I'm new to the forum. I used the search feature but didn't see a thread on this. My son and I saw Fury Road opening day. My son will be driving next year and has his eye on a late 70's 'vette. I thought it would be awesome to recreate Nux's steering wheel for him. I would appreciate any help id-ing the correct parts. I have some rough ideas but no exact pieces yet. Thanks!

steering wheel.jpg

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Steering-Wheel-Wallpaper.jpg

wheel.png

In the photo I see these parts and hoped you guys could help to id details of the parts and other items I overlook:
    Steering Wheel
    Baby doll head
    CO2 cartridges - could be nitrous cartridges
    Tapered Steering bearing
    ----hopefully that will get the ball rolling?

I look forward to your comments.
    Flexible Electrical conduit - steel maybe - 1/2 inch? - nuline aybe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Cameron1138 and logan74k like this.
  2. nux

nux New Member

I think the steering wheel may be : http://www.a1racing.com/Longacre56822.aspx

Longacre uncoated aluminum.. 15 or 14" .. not sure.
    LON56822MD.JPG

It looks like a Cadillac ornament on the 'horn ring' .. not really sure what you call that ring.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    logan74k likes this.
  3. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

The Furiousa steering wheel looks like its just a bad Mojo 3D print.
    Nux! great find on the wheel.

4. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

the taper bearing is most likely a car spindle sized one for probably a 30's ford. Most are very similar

The wire conduit is about .25"-.5" fexible conduit something like this albiet this one has the cool end on it also. http://www.semiconduits.com/at.html but you can find the conduit at home stores,
    weird thing is that the side of the baby doll head, right cheek, it looks very similar to the base the bobblehead bird is on.

"V" emblem looks like a vintage car part, start looking at Tbirds, some corvette and fords with 289 have something similar.
    The horn ring also is vintage I would figure between 1940-1955ish more like a late 40's ring, late 50's rings got more space age than that.

5. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

6. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

7. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

damm, we just threw out a ton of babydoll heads at work, would been a free for all. I was gifted the one creepy one.

8. nux

nux New Member

I'm pretty sure the v logo is a caddy badge judging by the crest and dots. They had something along those lines in the 50's. In the poster it is there but it is missing in the front screen shot that I assume is from the actual movie. This leads me to believe it is not a part of the horn ring but a stand alone badge. I saw that car show post, but I wasn't sure how similar it was to the movie version it was. I need to take a good look at it.. At first glance it looked like the eye piece is missing from the doll? I have no idea what the gas mask is. I thought in the other photos it looked like a lawn mower carb may be involved...but the picture you shared does not look to support that. Thanks for the quick replies!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Whip cream cartridges look similar, and would contain NOS keeping with the speed rules theme

9. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

If you overlay the racing wheel you found over the screen cap it maybe be the same center but the proportion is off. I will post an overlay when i get back in. Maybe a 17" wheel?

Here is the wheel over the posted wheel, it seems the spoke slots are a bit bigger on the screen used.

At 15" overlayed, the scale of the hand is comparable to mine. Its just that the wheel part seems thicker.

Its a good priced "looks like" part.
    Mad-Max-Steering-Wheel-Poster-overlay2.jpg
    they seem to have 17" wheels also, but it looks like the slots get skinnier.

10. auzorann

auzorann Active Member

The larger metal cord looks like it may be from an old pay phone.

11. harrisonp

Yeah the size threw me off at first which led me to the 88-90 gram canisters

I was thinking maybe a drain snake/roto rooter but your suggestion sounds better

12. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

I have pay phone cord, the cheap metal conduit from the big box store is close to that one. The payphone one has a tighter coil and more of a squared off tube shape. But if you can find payphone conduit, the quality is much better, and they usually are cheap if you find them too.

I have pay phone cord, the cheap metal conduit from the big box store is close to that one. The payphone one has a tighter coil and more of a squared off tube shape. But if you can find payphone conduit, the quality is much better, and they usually are cheap if you find them too.

NUX, I see what you are saying about the close up shot doll eyes, maybe they made multiples for stunt and permanently mounted use?
    I think on the sides of the head "gasmask" is actually a car part, it may be a grill tooth or parking light housing.
    I leaning towards 1950ish Pontiac horn ring, but from the close up it looks like there is an extra rib withing the large outer ring.

On the V emblem, there is the same amount of deep ribs in both props, 7 dips.

another shot,
    steering 2.jpg

13. nux

nux New Member

Abelugo, that is a really good photo. And harrison I see what you mean about the co2. The threads would also make attaching something much easier as well. I think the gas mask is probably a car part as well. I was looking at u joints with no luck. The welds on the steering wheel in the new photo are not very clean... We may be looking at some customization.. Or at least maybe the welds were redone to give a rougher look?

14. nux

nux New Member

I figured it was worth a shot so I emailed one of the art directors for the film Jacinta Leong. I have seen interviews where Jacinta actually shared autocad drawings of the gigahorse. I've talked with people who worked on Dexter in this way and gotten polite and helpful replies so I figured an email wouldn't hurt. At any rate, I think we are well on the way to a good enough model here.

15. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

if you get the correct size conduit, you just need too look for ends like these, but you can also ffind them at your local home big box store. also the plug looking on the right side of the mask face piece can be found there. parts like these....http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cord-grips/=xdlupu

16. harrisonp

Could the main "canister", I guess, of the gasmask be some kind of cap? Like maybe a gas cap, or a hubcap? I'm not the most knowledgeable about cars, but the uniform protrusions around it make it look like something that gets twisted manually.

B Wo likes this.
  17. nux

nux New Member

logan74k likes this.
  18. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The second that scene happened I hoped someone would tackle it here on the RPF.

Can't wait to see the project grow. :)

19. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

photo.JPG here is some actual pay phone cable, I got it at a swapmeet for another project a while back, but I still think its regular conduit.

20. nux

nux New Member

I received a very friendly and polite reply from Jacinta. She was nice enough to forward my question. I have high hopes that I may have a few more prop details to share soon. Just wanted to pass on that update.

Interceptor6 likes this.
  21. Uridium

Uridium Well-Known Member

For a built from the scrap found in the wasteland... this is going to be a pricey prop.

Cadillac Horn Ring.... having issues finding a reasonable cost one.

22. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

Im still looking for the horn ring, pretty sure its not a Cadillac, it sucks because even the artist that made this may not know all the parts. Im pretty sure the chrome sides of the baby face are another car part, it other shots, both sides are connected, as if it was a tail light bezel or something.

The thing you have to notice on the horn ring, is that it may be an upside down three spoke, because of the direction of the spokes, otherwise horn ring is a two spoke with the spokes offset, which does exist. I found about 4-5 different horn rings but not the exact one yet.

Also note that the longacre steering wheel comes in a smooth wheel and a driller lightweight wheel, I just wonder if I get one with the colored cover, is there holes under or not. Someone please post if they get one.

UPDATE, a newer poster indicated the 17" is way too big.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  23. Uridium

Uridium Well-Known Member

I ordered the 15" smooth wheel, will update when it comes (but I'm not going to get it for a couple of weeks)

And I bought a couple of horn rings for cheap on ebay. The ones I got are old scrappy Ford ones, and are not a full ring, more like a 2/3 - 3/4 ring with three prongs (cost $10 each). I figure I am going for a Nux 'inspired' Steering Wheel.

24. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice pic of George Miller with a different wheel.
    11270683_681946665244191_6039274465475817123_o.jpg

25. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

Thanks Nick! That looks like the correct or a very close version of the NUX center section with the original wheel it came from!! Atleast I know the wheel is a two spoke wheel. I really want to figure out the little trim piece that looks like a gas mask. Its either taillight bezel or parking light bezel.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  26. GaryArm

GaryArm Member

Interesting photo Nick. But I think it may have been a prototype during pre production. I didn't work on this film, but as the cars were all made here in Sydney Australia, I may be able to help a little. As we don't have many US cars here to source from, the parts maybe from something local. The horn ring reminds me of a 70's Chrysler Valiant and the bearing on the mask looks to me to be out of a rear axle. The conduit has me thinking as we don't have such cables on pay phones. Some friends of mine were on the build, I will try to contact then to see if they remember what they used.

27. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

Im still trying to figure out the bezel that fits over the mouth with the bearing in the center, it seems to bridge a few pieces together. I think its either an interior part of a taillight/parking light bezel.
    I think I figured out the horn ring, but I have not committed to a steering wheel.UPDATE, a newer poster indicated the 17" is way too big.
    spoke holes are set at two different distances, the ones that match are the ones with the shorter distance.
    The hornring and most all horn rings are close to 11"-11.5"
    So if you overlay the wheel it gives you an approx 18" outer diameter.

As far as the V-logo, I figured it out but just a matter of time until one shows up on ebay or just 3D it.

The bearing is just a matterl for figuring uot the proportion and size, going to the bearing shop and getting a matching timken bearing.

I found the conduit at the swap for 1.00

28. logan74k

logan74k Active Member

nux4.jpg nux 3.jpg nux 2.jpg nux 1.jpg

Some more reference from around the web - hope it helps somebody!

29. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

thanks for the shots- still trying to ID that metal snout part the bearing fits between.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  30. BrainLucker

BrainLucker New Member

31. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I still have not seen this film yet, but if GM made this film the same as the others, then all the parts will be found items.

That flexible conduit from the front of the baby dolls mask looks to be the same stuff used on desk lamps in the 1980's. I used to have (may still have somewhere) some I took off a lamp after it broke. The lamp I had was an old style 12" flouro tube.

[​IMG]

32. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

I got a 1955-1957 Chevy 210 horn ring. it doesnt have the bevel, but the post V-in and it is offset, not centered.

The conduit can be found at any local hardware store its about .25"-.375" flex conduit.

Im talking about this bezel- see blue line
    56blu line.jpg

33. Batt

Batt New Member

Hey guys, I just decided to build this prop for a costume. I'm glad to see that research is in progress. I noticed something that might help with the base steering wheel. I believe it is this wheel with the cover removed:
    http://www.longacreracing.com/produ...minum+-+Red+w/+natural+spokes+and+smooth+grip
    My reasoning is that you can see, what I believe to be, cover residue on one of the spokes. The marks are perfectly straight and in the exact location of where the cover ends on the linked wheel. nuxwheelDetail.jpg
    EDIT: Upon closer inspection I believe the wheel is actually a covered 15" available from the same site linked above. The slots are too close to the grip part of the wheel for it to be the 17".
    If you guys have any more info on any of the other unidentified parts please let me know, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  34. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

l. There is one witht he slots closer to the edge. Most horn rings from the 50's-60's are close to 11" across. So if you find the straight on view of the Nux wheel. Just photoshop the scale up and see what gives you. I have yet to order the wheel untill it is a confirmed size. Also note there are about three versins of the wheel. Smooth, dimpled and slotted in the back. Make sure to get smooth. Please report back when you get you wheel.

I have yet to figure out the bezel shape around the mouth of the doll head. Also there are a few new images that surface with more parts on the backside of the wheel.
    Also note that longacre makes the quickrelease piece for the back of the wheels

UPDATE, a newer poster indicated the 17" is way too big.

35. Batt

Batt New Member

I just did a calculation based on the proportion of the 11" horn ring to the steering wheel and it does indeed look like it's a 17" wheel.

The quick release hub appears to be one like this. I can't find one that is raw aluminum though. So probably going to have to buy a red one and remove the anodizing.
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1894/Longacre_Steering_Wheels_And_Hubs

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  36. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

good eye on the quick release. I search a bunch for the correct horn ring, I think it may be from a AU only car.

37. Batt

Batt New Member

If we assume the horn ring is 11" then the doll head should be about 4.3" at the widest visible point. Have you found anything that will work for that?

38. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

I havent gotten that far. I actually work for a company that happens to make tons of dolls heads. I have to take another look. We did a clean up and swear i saw some about of that size dumped away. I'll take a look and post something. I'll try to score a couple. I have some of the conduit already also.

that is about the same size i came up with also.

39. TheShinyOne

TheShinyOne Well-Known Member

Side of the head two small co2 tanks. Horn ring could have been three spoke but with the middle one cut-out. The markings from where it was cut could be covered up by the Cadillac emblem. Mouthpiece seems to have old gas-tank parts. Downward pointing piece in front is a gas flare nut. Ribbed circular piece seems like a (hard to find) part of an old gas tank. Could be easily 3D-printed as well. Underneath seems to be a chain guidance wheel of some sort. Reminds me of a multi-gear bikes derailleur, but the "teeth" on the little wheel are spaced too far apart, so it can't be a bike chain.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  40. TheShinyOne

Bottom wheel could be an embossing wheel as well as used in the leather-business, but it seems part of a machine, perhaps meant for stitching,

41. TheShinyOne

42. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

It was mentioned in earlier that the Chevy 210 horn ring is pretty close but the bevels don't match up.
    I bought that same ring at a cheaper price.

The original wheel is a two spoke wheel, there is a picture of George Miller holding it.

I can easily 3D print all of it, but that is not the point. I rather have real parts.

The part that fits like a gas mask may be a tail light bezel or interior part as is the Cadillac logo, I check most all Caddy logos and have not found a match.

43. Batt

Batt New Member

That Chevy 210 horn ring is the closest match I've seen. I'm pretty sure the ribbed circular part you referred to is a taper bearing, which should be easy to find. We still need to figure out what size it is exactly. Looks like the horn ring, gas mask "frame", and that derailleur thing are going to be tough to locate.

44. Batt

Batt New Member

Abelugo, if you decide to 3d print that gas mask part I will buy one. Also, can you link where you bought your Chevy horn ring? Thanks!

45. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

I got mine on ebay it was just about 20-30 buck shipped. I guess I got a good deal- item number 281701995715
    If your not in a hurry the actual model for the horn ring may surface eventually.
    The black steering wheel that George is holding is really close to a 55 Chevy one.

I really rather hold out on the mask part.
    I have searched and searched I'm starting to think its a bezel for like an arm rest or some interior dash or trim part, you can see the two sides go into one base.

46. Batt

Batt New Member

I'm thinking bicycle brake cable housing for the cord that goes from the doll's face to the horn ring?

47. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

bike tubing may be a good substitute, I may just run either black fine air line tubing or wire that is about that thick, just make sure it has a black sleeve. Probably in the range of .125", those ends do remind me of dash light holders. You may want to hit up a wrecking yard and take a few color prints and see what you can find.

The brass parts on the very end are mainly just fitting you can get on mcmaster-carr.

For the large bearing on the front, I mentioned before, I happen to have an old 1" harley tapered timken bearing, it should be just about right. I also thought most spindle bearing may work, I didnt get to see what the rough size was based on my enlarged image, but do note that a large bearing like that may run about 15-20 bucks new, about 2-5 bucks a at a wrecking yard.

48. Batt

Batt New Member

Yeah, I'm thinking the bearing size is 1.25" or 1.5" bore diameter. I can't decide which size to buy though.

49. Batt

Batt New Member

Well I bought a 17" wheel, and while it looked correct with the cover on; once I stripped the cover off I realized the location of the slots are way different. This is a bummer because I can't find a 17" wheel that's any closer than this one. Perhaps the screen used prop was a knockoff or something
    ? IMG_20150811_160623957.jpg

50. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

Hey man, what part number did you get?, I thought I posted the one I was going to get, its one "Longacre 56813 17" Aluminum Steering Wheel", there seems to be two models, slots farther, slots close to the edge.

looks like 56815 has the slots like your model

either way it loos great, it has the weld in the center just like the screen used.
    By the time you add all the doo-dads you won't be able to tell the difference.

I give you props for taking the plunge.

I've been on a rabid search this week for that bezel. I have about 3-4 different types of searches going, still nada

A thought on the wheel if you must keep it, you can elongate the slots on the closer ones, it bugs you that much.