The Martian Space Suit

Found some pretty cool fabric that could be used for the hip belt base. It's not perfect but I think it's the closest stuff we've found so far. Going to order a couple yards and see how it looks doubled up. Really pushing for a May 1st completion date (minus the helmet).

http://www.sailrite.com/Phifertex-Mesh-Grey-X11-54#

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453278773.830452.jpg

Also, just a reminder to anyone new to the thread. Don't forget we have a DragonCon 2016 group forming and the Facebook group is open for anyone interested to join here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/633142076826256/

Love reading all these posts. Any suggestions on the ring lock glove system? 3D or machined? Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread.

Love reading all these posts. Any suggestions on the ring lock glove system? 3D or machined? Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread.
If you wait a while you will get info on how the real prop was made... Adam Savage has the suit and is doing a breakdown of all the parts.

Since I see a picture of Asavage wearing the helmet, I will assume this has been posted, but here it is anyway:

[video]http://makezine.com/2016/01/24/geek-out-with-adam-savage-over-the-martian-space-suit/[/video]

Some more info on the ASavage Martian Suit.

Sounds like they scanned in the suit with photogrammetry, which should make modeling to scale much easier. Ive tried this while it was on Display at CES, but didnt work out with my lo-tech phone approach.

Also from what it sounds like too, they only had it for a day. Which makes it more interesting as there will be no molding of actual pieces.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/56...uit-still-untitled-adam-savage-project-12616/

Is anyone planning to share 3d files of the hard parts of this suit? I am working on a 1/6th action figure and would be interested in printing them myself or perhaps collaborating.
Thanks,
upbeat

Is anyone planning to share 3d files of the hard parts of this suit? I am working on a 1/6th action figure and would be interested in printing them myself or perhaps collaborating.
Thanks,
upbeat
Yep, the first time I heard that Adam was auditing the suit, I thought of every scale Martian for different scenarios , toy front is very light on this subject .

I offered my 3d model of the Helmet to Adam through Steve Neil but I never got a response from Adam, I guess that this was in the works. I wonder how he plans to recreate the Helmet. I would still be willing with his research to update and correct my model for his project.

Hi guys, a new member here and this is my first post but I've been avidly watching this thread for a while now. Great work!!! I would love to have the time and skills to put this whole project together but I might have to settle for a few parts of it.

I noticed something whilst browsing the great photos a couple of people took of the suits on display that I haven't seen mentioned before so I thought I'd share. It appears you've come to the conclusion that the lights on the sides of the helmet are custom cast or 3D printed pieces and I'd have to agree. However I think the heatsinks in the back are 4 small stock heatsinks that have probably had the corners rounded to fit the profile of the housing. The reason for this is that if you look closely in the below photo (Credit to John Decker who took it) you will notice the line of pins in the centre are actually double pins butted up against each other.

IMG_0077

I'm no 3D printing expert but I'd guess that printing those heatsink fins would be tricky and they'd probably be flimsy so it would make sense that they'd use real metal heatsinks. Anyway, hope it helps and keep up the great work!!!

Thanks,
upbeat
I'd really love to see how this comes out. I'm working on some 1/6th TFA Figures at the moment, but I'd love to be involved in a 1/6th Martian suit.

Roughneckone:cool

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back