Interviewed J.W. Rinzler; asked him about real size of the LFL archive

Probe Droid

Master Member
As promised, here's the whole Rinzler interview. It still might be a little rough, so forgive typos, etc.

1: How about a little background on yourself. What do you do at Lucasfilm, and how did you get there?
I’m the executive editor in the very tiny books division, it’s basically three people, and I write books when the subject is right. I really started as a non-fiction editor, and early on I talked with Rick McCAllum, the producer of the prequel trilogy, and for Episode III we decided to do an old-fashioned making of book where you told the story of its production, which actually doesn’t happen that much anymore except on DVD. For about three years I followed George Lucas around, went to all art department meetings, went to the sets, the pickups, ILM, sat in on the editing, the music scoring, everything. When we decided to do a Star Wars book, I got that gig as well.

2: Your The Making of Star Wars is remarkably detailed. How tough was it to pull all these records together and track down some of the production crew after three decades? Since people’s memories can be faulty, how much cross checking was necessary to ensure their remembrances were accurate?

Tracking down people wasn’t a problem, because early on we found all these interviews in the archive that only about two people knew existed. I was given this incredible windfall of information—literally over 1000 pages of interviews that had never been read except for maybe half a dozen people, much less published. We decided that that would be the basis for the book, because everybody’s memories are so unreliable. When everybody agreed that ‘this was something that happened,’ it happened, but when there were disagreements about what happened I place them side-by-side so the reader can decide what they think happened. There were a few gaps, and I tried to be conscious of things that have become urban myths. There were a couple of things that weren’t mentioned that I knew happened, so I would confirm with George what’s the truth. For instance the Libyans coming to inspect the sand crawler out in the desert sounded like it might not have happened, but I checked with George and it was true. And I’d heard about his heart problems many times but nobody mentioned it in the interviews, and I felt that readers would feel that it was missing if it were true, so I verified it.
There were many things that people had completely forgotten about, which I discovered reading the interviews, especially two really important things. One, that 20th Century Fox was ready to pull the plug on the film completely, if it weren’t for Alan Ladd in December of 1975 they would have cancelled the production and George would have had to find another studio. The urban myth that’s grown up about that, and not to take credit away from Ralph McQuarrie, who is an unbelievable artist and was very helpful while I was making the books, but the Fox board of directors didn’t know anything about art, they supposedly were given McQaurrie’s paintings and Joe Johnson’s drawings, but they didn’t know anything about it, and this was confirmed by Warren Hellman, who was actually on the board at Fox, and he didn’t even remember there were paintings. For him it was Alan Ladd saying ‘as a business we have to support this production, I believe in it.’ They were going on Ladd’s recommendation, not artwork. If it had been a question of artwork and scriptwriting they possibly would have been able to imagine what the movie would have been like, but nobody could imagine it, including Ladd, who had grave misgivings up until it actually started making money.

3: Your book along with several previous titles like The Cinema of George Lucas (http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6331502.html) and Creating the Worlds of Star Wars 365 Days (http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6289630.html) really wowed fans with many new behind-the-scenes pix after 30 years. Just how huge is the LFL archive and how much of it still has never been seen by fans? Will all of it ever be available publicly?

When you say archives I immediately visualize four or five different places. We have image archives, a library archive of files, but also a warehouse section which is just boxes full of mostly stuff. We have film archives and physical archives and the ILM art library, and they all intersect. Over the years there’s been efforts to organize and reorganize, but the place has moved several times, and especially with the first film, nobody knew it was going to be a hit, so that was never organized from the getgo. It gets slowly organized to a finer point every year, but it’s not really feasible to show everything because there would be too much stuff. Secondly, to a certain extent it would take a team of people a year to organize everything in museum-like fashion. There are sections like the physical archives where we have people in charge who are trained museum curators. In the film archive, which is now reorganizing, this is where I found Princess Leia’s hologram speech with George’s handwritten changes. What that piece of paper was doing in the film archive is anyone’s guess. That’s where I found all the story board with Richard Edlund’s handwritten notations. In a way it’s great, because it means you’ll always find stuff for the next book or the next DVD, but it’s unlikely we’ll ever be able to put it all out. Even if we did organize it, you’re talking tens of thousands of images and ten times more for Empire and Jedi.

So it seems that very little of the whole archive has been seen by the public.
Yeah. A few years ago we discovered all these black & white photos that had been taken on the set and on location. There are upwards of a couple of thousand pictures, and we only have room for 600 in the whole book and the black & white’s only take up maybe 100 of those. So it’s just physically not possible, no publisher could afford it. And a lot of the pictures are five pix of the same thing. The most exciting stuff for the making of Star Wars is in that book.

4: Lucas said he was disappointed with the finished film even after the unprecedented box office success. All these years later, what are his feelings toward it? Does he still have regrets even after tweaking it for the Special Edition releases, or is Star Wars the imperfect child he’s learned to love despite its flaws?

I think it’s still the imperfect child he’s learned to love. I was with him while he made certain changes that were on the latest DVD release, and he remembers all the things that went wrong, even today just as he did when he was editing the film. He’ll look at it and go, ‘oh, that’s where the hair person didn’t get Leia’s hair right.’ He was under enormous pressure. It was the first film of that size that he’d worked on and it was a just a nightmare for him from beginning to end. He gave me help during the writing of the book, and he said ‘any conflict you’ve mentioned in the book on any given day was ten times worse than what you’ve written.”
To his credit, he’s a very reserved, calm guy, and he hasn’t really changed. On Episide III, he would say things like ‘we’ll maybe we should change that camera angle and the camera operator would immediately change it, no questions asked, but if you watch the behind the scenes footage back then he was doing the same thing, but the camera operator would just sit there and then George would have to negotiate with him because he hadn’t attained that legendary status, but his methods were the same. He was very low key, he was never a screamer.

5: What other cool stuff can fans anticipate for Star Wars 30th anniversary?

I can only really speak to books. There’s a DK Complete Cross Sections book where got together all the Cross Section books (http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6331502.html) and added more new ships. This fall we’re going to have an amazing pop-up book, and there’s been lots of pop-up books, but this one is going to be a cut above your average, pop up book. [Check SW. com] Scholastic doing another middle-grade novel about Darth Vader, which should be interesting. There is an Indiana Jones movie next year there will be a publishing program. Del Rey went out on a limb for this books. If you look at making of books, publishers don’t invest the kind of real estate. I don’t think there’s ever been a making of book that has gone up to 372 pages and 600+ images, so they deserve credit for taking a chance that they’ll actually get their money back. We do really try to keep on doing more high-end books. That’s something that I champion within our tiny book department, and we have a lot of great partners.

Just for myself because I’m a big Star Wars geek, how much cool stuff do you get to play with out there in Lucasfilm land? We’ve all drooled over the pictures of that warehouse full of props and costumes and models.

It is a pretty amazing room and I’ve had some good times there. When we were doing the Creating the Worlds book [http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6289630.htm], we had a great time because Knoll wanted to do some photographs in the warehouse, so we were wheeling the Death Star around and moving props around, and that was a lot of fun. So many times on Episode III sitting there with George and John Williams directing the orchestra in Abbey Road studio, those are mind-blowing experiences. It is an amazing place and it keeps going. I have high hopes for the animation show and eventually the live action TV show. It’s a ongoing fun experience I have to admit.

Last edited:
uhm...wow...all they need is a place to make the museum and then what a pilgrimage it would be...can you imagine the time it would take to look at EVERYTHING????

Imagine the money it could generate if 1/10 of the collection was auctioned off????

If they can do it with star trek they could do it with Star wars... 10 movies and a several TV series? as opposed to 6 movies...it may take longer but definitely worth it.

cannot wait to read the rest..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moffeaton @ Apr 13 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]1461853[/snapback]</div>
A little pee just came out.

:lol
[/b]
Are you sure it was urine? :lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KidL @ Apr 13 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]1461857[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moffeaton @ Apr 13 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]1461853[/snapback]
A little pee just came out.

:lol
[/b]
Are you sure it was urine? :lol
[/b][/quote]
LOL. that was fun :lol

This doesn't surprise me one bit. They have on-set photographers, still photographers on the set daily taking pics of the sets and costumes in various stages of construction. It's just getting to see these things that's the hard part, as everyone knows.
I get surprised every time I see new Raiders of the Lost Ark photo's, but then I have to remind myself how many pics can be taken daily in pre-production and a 70+ day shooting schedule. Plus, you also have the behind-the-scenes film team doing basically the same type of thing. Taking their own footage on video and still photo's as well as the audio.
I'm sure alot of these photo's serve many purposes. Insurance purposes and also so that the studio exec's can see progress without being on set, just to name a couple.

I'm sure some in the business can chime in with more.

Thanks for sharing, Probe Droid. I'm looking VERY forward to his Indy series. Very forward to it.

Yep Agent5 hit the nail on the head. On most shoots I worked on the on set photographer can take up 20 rolls a day. A day.

Cheers,
Jeff

I did forget about continuity as well. VERY important. Don't most script supervisors still take poloroids and carry them in a photo album marked by scene and character, etc., along with all the other valuable info they log?

I want to send Rinzler a thank you card... this book is INSANE.

"Saint" Cantwell - the man who made the prototype ships. (I think we should canonize him, lol)
DSC04820.jpg

Proto Artoo
DSC04821.jpg

BLUE X-Wing - Yeah, I'd be happy too.
DSC04822.jpg

Dewback.
DSC04823.jpg

Dianoga.
DSC04824.jpg

Awesome super-z-list Speeder.
DSC04825.jpg

Skeleton of the Krayt Dragon.
DSC04826.jpg

Dead Lars.
DSC04827.jpg

Tusken unmasked.
DSC04828.jpg

Super Sexpot Princess.
DSC04830.jpg

Spacetrooper.
DSC04831.jpg

Blockade Runner.
DSC04832.jpg

GRAPHIC ART.
DSC04833.jpg

Halloween Party.
DSC04834.jpg

Blockade Runner..
DSC04835.jpg

GOOD MOTHER OF GOD .. .. :eek .. I love the proto Vader at the Halloween party. I still think that droid in the Jawa crawler (the one that looks over at R2 after he wakes up) is a casting of a proto Vader that they made into a droid instead... look at its face. McQuarry written all over it.

Thanks for posting those pics. I think when the Raiders of the Lost Ark book comes out I may literally wet myself based on what I see in the Making of SW book.

These are the type of pics I long for, as I'm sure many of you do as well.

A5:
I specifically asked JWR about the rumored Raiders book.
Q: LetÂ’s shift gears a little. Another fan fav that Lucas created was Raiders. Star Wars seems to get all the attention, but how about some love for Indy. Fans have heard rumors of you doing a Raiders Making of volume. What can you tell me?

At this point he chuckled and said that he'd gotten in trouble for speaking about this book, and that he's been "warned to silence. "

That's a yes if I've ever heard one.

When is the SW book available? I stopped at Borders and Barnes & Noble over the past couple of days, but saw nothing of it yet. I did see Maul saber halves on sale though at Borders... :thumbsup

I think Amazon has it listed as the 24th of this month. There is also a cheaper, soft-cover available which is fine my me. At 300+ pages, methinks this book is easily going to be one of my personal favorites. However, it's the Raiders and Empire books I'm reaaaaaally waiting for.

I... need... to... sit... down...

For I k now, never in my life could I afford these books. Because they would be sold out by then :cry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blastech @ Apr 13 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]1461986[/snapback]</div>
I still think that droid in the Jawa crawler (the one that looks over at R2 after he wakes up) is a casting of a proto Vader that they made into a droid instead... look at its face. McQuarry written all over it.
[/b]

Yes, that conclusion was also reached over at TK-409's Threepio board a while back. Specifically, the chestpiece and head of the proto Vader with regular protocol droid parts for the rest of it.

It's the same droid that's walking along the right-hand side of the screen when Luke sells his speeder. (Also seen in pieces against the wall in ROTJ when Threepio is pulled out of the droid dungeon.) The design closely matches an early McQuarrie drawing of Vader. The white color and the goofy painted in eyeballs hide it well, but once you look at it in this new light you never stop. :lol

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back