Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

A friend just shared an image on facebook of Rey. It shows her under tunic at the top a little better, just wish it were higher resolution. Though it does look like to me that the neck might have small buttons. Thoughts?

tumblr_nnio82DcmT1tdfi16o1_1280.jpg

I have a few tops like it but couldn't remember what they were called.

It does look henley style, so that may be where I look for patterns to have it sewn. I noticed in a couple of the high res side shots that the stitching looks hand done, not perfect like a machine.

That was probably on purpose. Given that she's a scavenger it seems to follow that she may have had to make or repair her own clothing several times.

I put this together for the head piece range finder thingy.
The arm assembly is from a "third hand" with the wing nut replaced with a Allen head screw, the area between the plates was filled in to make the molding and casting easier and stronger.
The cylinder rings where made with tape, probably liner tape (you can see where they are misaligned and where the tape ends)

It would be really easy to install a LED in it of if you are feeling dangerous a laser.

range finder.jpg

It looks like the material used on the face of the goggles is leather, looks like pig skin by the texture.

I've been looking at shoes trying to find something similar.
It looks almost like they took slippers and added the upper part and glued on the sole.
I've tried looking for the soles and treads to figure out the make but as of yet nothing has come up.
The pattern looks familiar but I can't place it.

I think I may have figured out what the pieces on the goggles are. Latch action toggle clamps. I saw a clamp on the fire extinguisher at work last night and it got me searching.
latch-action-toggle-clamps-700-large.jpg

A google search found them available in a variety of sizes from different sites. Obviously we don't need most of the mechanism, but that square latch u-bolt might be perfect.

Here is my gallery of images from he display at CVII. http://imgur.com/a/dlT0Y and the info from the display card about the costume is:

The costume info is:

Wrap Dress - Viscose
Head Wrap - Cotton
Top - Hemp and Cotton Jersey
Trousers - Silk
Backpack - Leather
Wrist Cuff and Belt - Leather
Pouch - Canvas
Arm Wraps - Cotton
Gloves - Leather
Boots - Wool and Leather
Staff - 3D Print

Hope that helps.

These just showed up in the mail today. I'm pretty sure I can do something crafty with them... ;-)

Once I work out what the sole on Rey's is like I reckon I can replicate it with EVA foam and use contact cement to fasten it to the bottom of these.

After that, I'll work on finding a match to the suede on the heel portion so that I can add the strip up the back seam and add the tie loops on the sides.

Then it will just be a matter of cutting the shafts down to the proper height and I should have a pretty good pair of Rey boots going on.

20150502_102010.jpg

kristenhenry70 - I'll be SUPER curious to follow your progress on the shoes. I've been debating whether to buy one on Ebay or not. But I want to try to get them as close as possible, soooo...I'm going to wait and see how others do their shoes first. (Btw, did you see the photo a few posts ago that showed the back of the shoe? Looked like some sort of bungee cord-like gathering in the back.

DlarianFerrel - Definitely a Henley type collar. I'd be tempted to find the right-coloured henley top and alter it, but I doubt there's one in the right fabric. Most henley's are plain cotton or cotton with ribbing. I also like the idea of the stitching being hand-done (even though part of me wants to do it on machine to keep the seams reinforced and strong). That way if the stitching isn't just right and perfect, it's actually on character! :p

The big thing I want to know is what the back of her wrap dress looks like. That's the main missing piece. Well, if nothing comes up in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to do what I did with Quorra from Tron Legacy and draw a turnaround of Rey's costume for a sort of unofficial guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.. it looked like they added pigskin loops to the sides of the boots and then used cord laced through those loops and also through a pigskin strip up the back seam of the boots to hold them closed. Once I find some suede which matches the heel caps on these boots well enough I'll be adding those details to these boots.

I'll be sure to keep you posted. I think a HUGE part of the look of these boots overall is going to be in getting them dirty and destroyed LOL

I was told that while its henley style, there aren't buttons. That area is hard to make out to be sure what is going on, but the source guaranteed that there are no buttons.

I need to get theboots so I can start tinkering. Oddly, the leather bits will probably be easiest for me, next to making it dirty.

I did some minor fiddling with the dodge (lighten) and burn (darken) tools in photo shop on the picture in post #81 and it looks like there is something woven on the top.

I would be willing to try and model the pike however I do not have access to a 3D printer and don't have to pay the ridiculous amounts that most 3D printing places charge. Would anyone be willing to work out a trade? My workhours and file (supposing I can find the time) for your 3D printer? More then happy to pay for 3D printing filament but not quite willing to pay a stupid charge for someone to insert a file and press print ;)

BTW: Damn good show getting all this together! I have been perusing this thread for an hour and it is incredible how much you have all gotten done in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:
Division 6 - Could you post that? (or a closeup of it?) I'd be curious to see what you speak of.

Zaan - Hm, I have friends who have 3D printers. Not sure how that would work out, buuuut....

Hehe, we're all a bit nuts here (as usual, Division 6 is a master at gathering intel). But we've been lucky that not only have there been some good shots of her costume, but moreso that Rey's costume was at Star Wars Celebration (and with a costume list! SUPER helpful!). It's like they want us to cosplay or something. ;)

You make me blush. :$

Sadly the provided image is dark and low res but you get the idea.
Notice that there are rectangles that lead me to thing it's some sort of ribbon woven in.
Although it could just be velcro sewn on.
ribbon.jpg

If the staff was to be printed I think it would be best if they where individual sections that could be slid over a PVC pipe, preferably one with hidden couplers for break down for easy transport and storage.

Probably take 5 minutes to make.
Looks like a single piece of leather so all's you would have to do is cut the shape and a few slits and you're done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back