Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

There is a lot of artifacting on the pack and pouch.
The pouch has had things removed and added, the strapping loops on the side may have originally been on the face.
Dark stitching on the top right may have been repairs or modifications.
There is an A.L.I.C.E. clip on the left hidden by the staff in most of the photos.
Speeder bike scene looks to be reversed so the pouch is on the left in the . (look at the belt and the greeblie on her goggles)
Also explains why in some scenes the staff is on the speeder and not in others.

The greeblies on the goggles remind me of ski bindings.
The ?laser? thing on the side has a ball and plate assembly like the helping hands (rod with movable alligator clips) also used in stop motion puppets.

Leather pack has had things removed from the shoulder straps.
Might be Swedish in origin.
Could even be a map case
The cylinder on the right side is a resin casting (bad seam down the side) looks like it may a filter piece maybe even a car part.
Cylinder on the left strap looks like it may have been a spice container, makeup or something else, maybe even a match holder, (it has a fancy top) the brass eyelets don't go with it very well.

The buckle on top of her left shoulder looks like it may have been from a parachute (some older British ones have been on sale recently)

Strap for staff is probably a rifle sling, Kristen could probably ID it. ;)

Gloves look almost tactical or maybe motorcycle but could be anything.
Haven't found anything yet in tactical, flight, work or motorcycle.

In 2 pix the right glove looks to have a orange finger tip and some orange inside the cuff.
Could be a play of light though since several images have rainbow effects from the glass.
If there is orange than they could have been a type of work glove.

The greeblies on the goggles remind me of ski bindings.
The ?laser? thing on the side has a ball and plate assembly like the helping hands (rod with movable alligator clips) also used in stop motion puppets.
A few other possibilities: modded suitcase clasp, cabinet hinge, or the reverse of a plastic clothes peg :lol

I'm starting to think a lot of the bigger stuff - i.e. the "bottles" in the pack - are 3D printed. There's some suspicious seaming in a few of the photos.

Those who wanted to do a "readymade" costume could at a stretch go for the tan version of these kevlar tactical gloves and really rough them up (and remove the wrist strap):

condor_kevlar_tactical_gloves.jpg

A few other possibilities: modded suitcase clasp, cabinet hinge, or the reverse of a plastic clothes peg :lol

I'm starting to think a lot of the bigger stuff - i.e. the "bottles" in the pack - are 3D printed. There's some suspicious seaming in a few of the photos.

The seaming is an artifact left over from casting. They either found the bottles or 3D printed them, then molded them, the ones you see on the mannequin are casts (likely either resin or rubber).

The large cylinder on the bottom of the pack is metal so it's a found item.
Since the staff is a Maul saber I don't see why they even bothering with printing it.

All the caps of the trailers don't show the leather pack, gloves or shoulder piece so the only real accessory that needs to be IDed is the pouch.

Worst come to worst a larger British 37 Pattern Backpack/satchel could be stripped and made into a smaller pouch since it has 6 of the correct buckles as well as being the same type of material. (seen in post #45 by Clembot)

No offense...

I do take offense Kristen, you can't insult me and make up for it with ending with :p

The boots are pretty damn close, with a little alteration they can look exactly like the trailer. Don't tell me what we do and don't do "here at the RPF", you can only speak for yourself.

Seriously! I think you need to check yourself, xevious .

Those boots are NOT close. Look at them...the entire front of the foot is suede! Rey's boots are woven wool except for suede on the HEEL not the whole front.

And that's just the boots...everything else they picked is not right either. The point of their article was to show how you could catch the vibe of the costume and wear it on the street...not how to replicate the costume ( which by the way IS what 90% of us do on the RPF...not just me)

If xevious wants to do a streetwise runway interp of Rey's outfit that's fine...but I'm pretty sure I'm not in the minority when I say that most of us want to come WAAAY closer than what MTV dished out in that article.

So xevious might want to rein in their oversensitivity just a hair and stop taking personal offense to a critique that was not directed at them personally .

Also... never once did I insult you (xevious )... I said "no offense" in order to specifically indicate that the critique was not directed at you for posting the link, but instead at the article author's choice of costume piece substitutes. I think most people got it... don't know why you didn't. If you actually read my words you will see that I said: "The suggestions THEY give" and "THEY have no eye for detail". Last time I checked "THEY" meant them.. not you.

And if you look at the context of my post you will notice that the " :p " comes after I made a joke about how RPFers don't look the part, we become the part. Its clear that the " :p " was meant to underscore that quip... not to " soften the insult" as you replied. There was no insult expressed or intended. Sheesh.

Last edited:
I just got my fabric swatches in today! I'm not sure if these are the correct fabrics (though I went by the list that was at the costume exhibition at SW Celebration) Here's the breakdown...

Headwrap - Onasburg Cotton

Now, I'm going for the non-headwrap version of Rey's costume (which thankfully, we get a nice view of the front in the trailer/promo shots). Unfortunately, we don't yet know what the back of the wrap dress looks like as the costume exhibit has the headwrap, pack, and staff covering it. But I got this fabric to hopefully identify the type of cotton material that the headwrap is. (Does that material show up anywhere else on her costume?)

Wrap Dress - Viscose

At first I thought this felt too light and flimsy and looks too sheer. But the tag on the swatch says that when dyed, the material becomes almost opaque. Hmm....

Top - Hemp and jersey cotton

This one looks fairly accurate to me. What do you guys think?

Quilters Flannel

Now that I have the swatch, I can't remember why I picked it out. (I think I was picking out options for various natural looking fabrics.) I don't know if this quite matches anything on her costume.

Arm wraps - cotton bubble gauze

Not sure on this one, but it seems fairly accurate. I know cotton bubble is a commonly used fabric in Jedi costumes.

Unfortunately, I thought I had ordered a swatch of silk for her pants, but it didn't come with the other swatches. Though I'm fairly certain it's a raw silk, like this one (as Celtic Ruin's Costumes pointed out) -> http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric...h-and-55-inch-wide.html?lnav=fabric_silk.html

I still think the head wrap looks a little thicker. More like a very thin blanket.

The material for the wrap dress looks pretty spot on in my opinion, as does the jersey material. The arm wrap material looks more flat i think. I was thinking more like Tusken arm wraps.

Great job on the finds, I don't have an eye for material yet.

I've seen a fabric very similar to the head-wrap, it tends to be labelled as "slub cotton" - it's like a heavier cheesecloth and dyes really nicely. It's not too stiff so would be good for all the draping and twists.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i... Wars/Rey/IMG_20150423_144230_zpssqtwqlsq.jpg
Quilters Flannel

Now that I have the swatch, I can't remember why I picked it out. (I think I was picking out options for various natural looking fabrics.) I don't know if this quite matches anything on her costume.
You know I reckon this would look great for the head-wrap once you've washed it with tea a few times; it would take some of the "fluff" off.

I'm thinking the arm wraps are actual medical gauze. It has that edging like gauze would get over time.

And the wrap dress is medium-sheer weight it seems anyway from the picture where she's running with Finn:

the-force-awakens-teaser-2-10.png

I think a teaspoon of Rit's Tan, some coffee or tea dying would do the trick to age the viscose down a bit and put it more on a light-tan level! That photo is also good at spying the neckline of her tunic!

Has for the head wrap...Dharma's handwoven cotton might be a good option: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric...l-fabric-55-inch.html?lnav=fabric_cotton.html

I've gotten the very thick weave of this, and it frays just by looking at it! And she's got a bit of fraying around the edges.

So was anyone at C7 to see the costume first hand?
My question is this, is the belt pouch yellow as it appears in the colored lighting or green as it appears in the screen caps.

I'm helping someone with is and want to get it right.

Found enough pix to scale out the pouch using the ALICE clip as my ruler. (3 5/16"L x 3/8"W)
Pouch is about 8"H x7.5"W x 2"D.
Side webbing with loops is 1"W x 1.75"H

Reys pouch.jpg

So was anyone at C7 to see the costume first hand?
My question is this, is the belt pouch yellow as it appears in the colored lighting or green as it appears in the screen caps.

I'm helping someone with is and want to get it right.
It looks somewhere between the two, like British Army canvas tan (bottom right):
HS004 MULTI 1.jpg
It's a kind of "fresh straw" colour.

I was wondering if everyone here posting so far was planning on just drafting sone patterns to use for her tunic and pants, or if they will be finding a pattern that looks the part. I personally need to find a pattern since I don't have much experience with making my own. This whole project will test my meager sewing abilities, so I am absorbing as much info from the more knowledgeable people out there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back