GOTG - Ravagers lapel pin / badge build

Re: GOTG - Ravagers lapel pin build

So what I noticed while molding these pins is that the metal doesn't flow like liquid, it pools and bows at the top (surface tension?).

I decided to make deeper molds that would hold more metal, the extra weight I thought would better force the metal in to the tiny recesses.
This idea DID work however I was left with a lot of extra material which needed to be removed and reused.

I got out my jewelers saw and went to work, 20 minutes and 8 blades later I cut a single button...
So while the idea did technically work, it is not in any way feasible ;)

I also tried a metal with a higher tin content with similar results. I need something which will force the metal in to the tiny recesses.

Ideas?

Re: GOTG - Ravagers lapel pin build

Update, I figured out how to cast these things properly!

This is how I managed to get the metal to fill in the tiny gaps. And please, be carful if you try this because it's dangerous!

I poured in the metal in to the mold, one at a time, and sloshed it carefully back and forth to get the metal to rock in to the small gaps. That force was enough to do the trick!

Raw pull out of the mold:

IMG_2589.JPG

I wont have time this week to finish and polish these this week but might be able to do it on Monday. If there is any interest I might do a small run of these. Maybe $10-12 shipped?

Okay I took some pictures at home with my SLR camera so they came out a little better than my usual iphone shots.

All I did was take the original designed and scaled it to look like it does in the film, I think that I got it spot on and that it came out pretty good.
This one is cast in smooth cast 325 using brass powder (coldcast) so it is in effect quite a bit more expensive to make than the usual cold cast aluminum but I think it was worth it.
I used equal parts A B and Metal 1:1:1. Once it cured I sanded it down with 200 grit sand paper, then hit it with some 400 grit and lastly polished with 0000 steel wool.
I have not sealed it as I find that seems to dull the finish.

I also cast one in urethane rubber, smooth-on simpact 60A but I am unsure if this is going to work or not. Once the rubber fully cures in 48 hours I'll attempt to buff it out and see what happens.

Pictures!

DSC_3869.jpg
DSC_3874.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back