HalloweenCostumes.com "Back to the Future 2 Light Up Shoes"

Ok, here are the pictures of my progress after digging into the foam of these HCs :
View attachment 558476

WOW that is a lot of foam in there. Way more than in the V2s.

And the result of today's work :

View attachment 558477 View attachment 558478

My experience on this first attempt to "sock toe" my HCs!

Doesn't even look like the same shoes anymore. Way cool.

• First, the unglueing process is really long and you'll have to deal with lots of surprises on this model !

• As you can see on the picture, there is lot of foam. I made the decision to get rid of it on the toe box (the part up left on the picture is the toe box) because even without the hard fabric the result wasn't so good... because of... FOAM !

• I haven't take pictures of the whole process but I've remove all the foam till hit the middle of the side of the shoe (under the swooh).
I think I'm gonna have to dig more but I'm tired to get the whole shoe unglue ^^ - Seriously, they went crazy with whatever gllue they used !

• Oh, and I don't know if it is visible on the crapy pictures, but I manage to make something to the lights that can be an alternative to the EL lights - but I need to work on it :)

So did you keep the pink card from inside? Some of the way it sits can be dependent on how you attache the upper to that card and why I say not not to remove the entire upper, but leave about 1/3 attached.

I don't know how are the V2 (for the moment) but yep, the entire shoeis made of foam, and so many layers ! I'll post a picture for information on the layering of this model... I remember about 6 layers !

So did you keep the pink card from inside? Some of the way it sits can be dependent on how you attache the upper to that card and why I say not not to remove the entire upper, but leave about 1/3 attached.
the pink board is still inside as I haven't glue everything backtogether. I'm thinking about some thingss to do and I don't want to miss something and having to re-open the shoe (it is really a pain in the a** !). And I have to think about the electronics, I'm not sure I want to get "the work" done ^^

Edit for @cavx : what do you mean by "upper" ? Do You talk about the tip of the shoe where the toe sits ? So you wouldn't cut the excess fabric ? (I don't feelI would cut it anyway, it's too risky for the re-glueing) Or maybe you talk about the entire shoe ? (the grey fabric and all above the sole)

Oh, and I almost forgot : What glue would you recommand ? I don't find the Tarzan Glue here in Canada :/

Last edited:
RVLF yes by upper I refer to the whole cloth part.

Yeah maybe Tarzan's Grip is only available in AU and NZ only, not sure. I have heard US does not have this, nor does the EU.

What I love about this stuff (apart from it being cheap), is it does not darken the fabric like superglues do. So if you get a spill, it is not so bad and you can clean it up with some acetone.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Shoe Goo ? Is it strong enough ?

Edit : PICTURES OF THE INSIDE LAYERS :
0 - HC Inside 1.jpg0 - HC Inside 2.jpg0 - HC Inside 3.jpg

As you can see, there is 7 layers =
• Grey fabric
• Foam glued to the Grey fabric
• The toe box
• A white tissu that maintain the foam
• A grey fabric around the laces
• Another layer of Foam (Not as big as the first one)
• The inside Grey fabric

Attachments

• 0 - HC Inside 3.jpg
    0 - HC Inside 3.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 57
  • 0 - HC Inside 2.jpg
    0 - HC Inside 2.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 62
  • 0 - HC Inside 1.jpg
    0 - HC Inside 1.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Ok, here are the pictures of my progress after digging into the foam of these HCs : and the result of today's work :

My experience on this first attempt to "sock toe" my HCs!

• First, the unglueing process is really long and you'll have to deal with lots of surprises on this model !

• As you can see on the picture, there is lot of foam. I made the decision to get rid of it on the toe box (the part up left on the picture is the toe box) because even without the hard fabric the result wasn't so good... because of... FOAM !

Lookin' good - that's a huge improvement in overall shape and now I know why they are SO PUFFY. I bet the whole upper has all that foam, which might be why they look 'fatter'. I think they are going to be SO HOT to wear in summer, and I thought the V2's were hot in summer. Find out soon I guess

I've got rid of a lot more today, and yes, it is going everywhere in the shoe from bottom to the top -_-
Now, I'm going to make the tongue :)

So on the HC reviews, I saw a guy who ran the charger down both legs and plugged his shoes in, then used an extension cord ran up his leg and plugged it in to a portable charge he kept in his back pocket. He said they stayed on 10 hours and kept going. Has anyone tried this as the cable doesn’t seem to split long enough to have one going down each leg. I have a VERY long event this Saturday that I am wearing them and would like to keep them charged all day and on.

Reference review on HC
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/back-to-the-future-2-light-up-shoes.html

I just got 24 hours from my all EL, 9V set up. And no cords to get snagged either.

Mind you, the real screen used shoes did use an external power supply and cords. Both shoes were run off the one 9V + inverter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

By this last shot, I have clocked up about 20 hours.

Attachments

• 20151205_190230-1-1.jpg
    20151205_190230-1-1.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 451
  • 20151129_093714.jpg
    20151129_093714.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 20151129_114856.jpg
    20151129_114856.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 20151129_114951.jpg
    20151129_114951.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 429
  • 20151127_203448.jpg
    20151127_203448.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Tip for Aussies - don't wear your modded mags in this stinkin hot weather!! Have been wearin my HCs today that have Mark Poon decals and a GITD strap for 2 hours today and the Tarzan grip has let go on some of the letters and the damn strap has let go too the glues just gotten too hot and now it's come apart!! Had these done before Oct 21 and they've been fine but today it's too bloody hot!! 31 degrees and only 11am!

Tip for Aussies - don't wear your modded mags in this stinkin hot weather!! Have been wearin my HCs today that have Mark Poon decals and a GITD strap for 2 hours today and the Tarzan grip has let go on some of the letters and the damn strap has let go too the glues just gotten too hot and now it's come apart!! Had these done before Oct 21 and they've been fine but today it's too bloody hot!! 31 degrees and only 11am!

I would have used (and did on my own shoes) liquid super glue for the letters. Mine are not MP decals BTW, rather my own, larger NIKE (which is not correct) and MAG (which will also be revised, but looks pretty good as is).

Tarzan's Grip is what used under the soles and to repair the sock toe. I used liquid superglue around all the edges of the clear soles.

I would have used (and did on my own shoes) liquid super glue for the letters. Mine are not MP decals BTW, rather my own, larger NIKE (which is not correct) and MAG (which will also be revised, but looks pretty good as is).

Tarzan's Grip is what used under the soles and to repair the sock toe. I used liquid superglue around all the edges of the clear soles.

yeh I just found the Tarzan grip easier to work with, I did use a liquid glue on some of the letters on right shoe but when I accidentally ran over a tiny bit it dried crusty white and because I'm OCD about my shoes it took about an hour to scrape of with a scalpel and not damage the shoe or letters lol!

yeh I just found the Tarzan grip easier to work with, I did use a liquid glue on some of the letters on right shoe but when I accidentally ran over a tiny bit it dried crusty white and because I'm OCD about my shoes it took about an hour to scrape of with a scalpel and not damage the shoe or letters lol!

Use acetone to clean up glue spills, including the white fumes of superglue.

Damn dude. Bad luck. I wore my V2s to walk the local transport department at 9 today today and they were fine - though I used superglue for the GITD strap and a combo of superglue and shoe goo for the replaced clear sole. Someone did ask me if I was there to register my DeLorian though, lol. "I Wish" I said.
It's hot in Melbourne today too and you can't get much further south than that unless you go to Tassie.

It's hot in Melbourne today too and you can't get much further south than that unless you go to Tassie.

We had 39 the day. Not fun mixing rubber in that heat. I was doing grey on the midsole of a pair I am working on for someone and where I would normally leave the rubber set up for an hour to go into a nice thick gel. I waited the hour only to find it had already set, so had to throw that out and start again. The last few days have been warm and I noticed that I only had to wait the normal 15 minutes to get the stuff into a thick gel.

Damn dude. Bad luck. I wore my V2s to walk the local transport department at 9 today today and they were fine - though I used superglue for the GITD strap and a combo of superglue and shoe goo for the replaced clear sole. Someone did ask me if I was there to register my DeLorian though, lol. "I Wish" I said.

ha ha register the Delorean that's gold! Well I'm in Mt Gambier so I'm as close to Tassie as it gets!! Is a bit of a bummer but I still have V2s to rock at Star Wars tonight! 36 degrees now n headin for 40! Look after those shoes peoples!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back