HalloweenCostumes.com "Back to the Future 2 Light Up Shoes"

Yeh I was thinking the midsole toe looks thicker on the V2s and I really dont like the HC toebox. When I have time, they will get the cut and glue mod. I don't think I'll be bothering to put a set of your soles on them. Maybe the next pair of V2's ;)

I'm wondering if someone here have separate the HC fabric from the sole and see what's inside (I'm talking about the HC unribed)... I guess it's lot of foam that make it so bulky. Am I right ? Photos ?

sorry for digging through this topic, but I was looking for those cream to clear the yellowish soles on my HCs.
Is this an option or they've been made yellow from the factory ?

I've dabbled in "sea glow" with Air Legends Sole Sauce to take the yellowing, actually dirt brown, out from my 2001 Columbia Jordan XI's. I kept a second pair in it's box up until last year and had no idea it would turn dirt brown over time. I highly recommend everyone to store their shoes with ziploc bags and put those silica packs with them to keep them from yellowing anymore. That goes for the V2's and definitely the RD's. For a 14 year old shoe (the 2001 Columbia Jordan XI) it took me 2 months back to back every 12 hours, cleaning off and reapplying the Sole Sauce.

Instead of placing it outside using the UV rays from the sun, I got a UV B Bulb from a local Pet Store for reptiles and placed them in a box with foil to bounce the light around the shoes like this.
View attachment 426512View attachment 426513View attachment 426515

sorry for digging through this topic, but I was looking for those cream to clear the yellowish soles on my HCs.
Is this an option or they've been made yellow from the factory ?

It seems the soles from the factory do not have a UV stabilizer and go yellow quickly. During my search for rubbers for my clear soles, I found an even more flexible rubber, but it too is yellow. It is actually called "clear amber", so might just be the same sort of stuff they have used.

so this kind of product won't affect the color ?
I saw some people applying blue dye on it. Is it working (for a long term) ? Does this method only affect the surface ?

Oh, and I'm looking for the GITD option for the logo. What is the method ? Paint something, place it under a NIKE black mask and insert it in the strap ? Or something different ?

PS = (I think I'm gonna write an intire "tutorial after my complete mods for each topic to help not repeating for every noobs like me)

so this kind of product won't affect the color ?
I saw some people applying blue dye on it. Is it working (for a long term) ? Does this method only affect the surface ?

Oh, and I'm looking for the GITD option for the logo. What is the method ? Paint something, place it under a NIKE black mask and insert it in the strap ? Or something different ?

PS = (I think I'm gonna write an intire "tutorial after my complete mods for each topic to help not repeating for every noobs like me)

No it only works on the surface. The yellowing is caused by oxidation and is sped up by exposure to UV. It goes right through the cross section. It is not a surface thing like rust on steel.

Hey everyone just got my Halloween Costumes MAGs. They arrived within 2 weeks, and were double boxed so the box was in perfect condition. I got the smooth-sides like I wanted. :D The lights work fine on both shoes, so thumbs up to the HC people. Here's some comparison shots of a HC vs a never worn, never-modded, always-in-its-box V2 that I got years ago when they first come out.
The HC's are strangely...... fatter. (like, wider) As well as a lot of other things you'll notice, like the darker, greener tone of the upper material. The midsole texture shows reasonably well in the photos, but when you touch it, feels less pronounced than the V2. I'd guess they sprayed the paint thicker.
View attachment 557038
View attachment 557039
View attachment 557040

Have you kept the shoes on for a substantial amount of time? Say 20-30 minutes or more?

I had a smooth-side pair. The RYG lights came on just fine, but then after a little while one of the greens would fade and go out.

Last edited:
Have you kept the shoes on for a substantial amount of time? Say 20-30 minutes or more?

I had a smooth-side pair. The RYG lights came on just fine, but then after a little while one of the greens would fade and go out.

Sounds like a power supply issue where the greens would go out first based on the battery life. When these are made properly, you should be getting 3 to 4 hours out of them. Unfortunately, where these are made, their QC is not the best.

Sounds like a power supply issue where the greens would go out first based on the battery life. When these are made properly, you should be getting 3 to 4 hours out of them. Unfortunately, where these are made, their QC is not the best.

It was literally one single green light that would go out in a half hour or less. The other two greens performed normally.

Yeah, I'm well aware of HC's current "quality" controls.

It was literally one single green light that would go out in a half hour or less. The other two greens performed normally.

Yeah, I'm well aware of HC's current "quality" controls.

If the other lights are staying on, then either a faulty LED or a dry joint. The LEDs are all about 3V and wired in parallel.

If the other lights are staying on, then either a faulty LED or a dry joint. The LEDs are all about 3V and wired in parallel.

I figured a botched installation at the time.

In any case that's why I advise anyone buying smooth-sides to defect-check the lights by keeping the lights on for a while.

As for myself, I'm waiting to see how all these latest developments go before buying any other pairs of anything.

I figured a botched installation at the time.

In any case that's why I advise anyone buying smooth-sides to defect-check the lights by keeping the lights on for a while.

As for myself, I'm waiting to see how all these latest developments go before buying any other pairs of anything.

I actually got all lights working on a set I knew had issues by re-soldering the connections, only to have the LEDs die anyway and why I decided to look at an all EL system.

Update : one shoe went flat after half an hour. (sole LEDs turned off first) The other one lasted another hour more. Then I recharged them for a couple hours and they both ran for two and a half hours before I turned them off.

I haven't worn these outside the house yet so no wire fracture problems, but after I turned them off to have dinner I turned them back on an hour ago and they are still running just fine. So that's three and a half hours after a full charge. Nope, camera battery is totally flat so can't snap a shot.

1: they seem to be a little smaller than V2 size 10 - the V2s are half a size too big anyway, so the HC's seem true to size.
2: nope. That toe box sticks up too much on the HC's, when I get time I will try the opening up the toebox mod.
3: I do have quite a few other Nikes, and while the sizing seems to vary a little from model to model, usually I'm either a 9.5, (occasionally) 10, (mostly always) or 10.5 (rarely).
The HC's seem to sit middle of the road, the size 10s I got are good so far (but I haven't had a chance to wear them all day yet to see what they're like).

thanks for these informations !

By the way, I'm on the toe box of my HCs, I'm gonna use them as a pair of experimentations :D
I'll post some pictures this week. The inside is really a mess full of layers and FOAM ! As I guessed it is the reason of the "puffyness" of this model !
I don't know why they made this choixe as it mean a lot of operations fo insert the foam, glue every layers, and sew everything... And totally ruin the look of the shoes !! Seriously ! :devil

Ok, here are the pictures of my progress after digging into the foam of these HCs :
01 - Sock Toe 0.jpg

And the result of today's work :
01 - Sock Toe 2.jpg 01 - Sock Toe 1.jpg

My experience on this first attempt to "sock toe" my HCs!

• First, the unglueing process is really long and you'll have to deal with lots of surprises on this model !

• As you can see on the picture, there is lot of foam. I made the decision to get rid of it on the toe box (the part up left on the picture is the toe box) because even without the hard fabric the result wasn't so good... because of... FOAM !

• I haven't take pictures of the whole process but I've remove all the foam till hit the middle of the side of the shoe (under the swooh).
I think I'm gonna have to dig more but I'm tired to get the whole shoe unglue ^^ - Seriously, they went crazy with whatever gllue they used !

• Oh, and I don't know if it is visible on the crapy pictures, but I manage to make something to the lights that can be an alternative to the EL lights - but I need to work on it :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back