Deadpool WIP- Mask Sculpt

moose

Hello everyone. I've decided that this year for Halloween I'd get a jump start on my costume, which is going to be Deadpool. I figured I'd need to give myself tons of time, not because the character is particularly difficult, but because I'm fat and out of shape and will need the extra months to get even halfway presentable in spandex or lycra. But that's neither here nor there. What I've done so far (mainly out of boredom and the itch to get costuming again) is start my mask. I've followed in the footsteps of some others on the forums and gone for a sculpt for the eyes so that I can get some facial definition, instead of going the full cloth route.

Take note before you look at the pics (which will be in the next post) that I have NEVER sculpted anything before now. This has been a learning experience and I had quite a bit of fun doing it tonight. As the pics will show, it's definitely a work in progress and has some areas that need attention, but I'm really very proud of my progress considering. Progress shots in a 'mo!

Technical difficulties. I'll get the pictures up as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Ok, here we go. I apologize for the crap cell-phone shots. I don't have my good camera available currently.

That's what I've got done so far, which is one night of work. Again, this is my first venture into sculpting, I don't even think I did any clay work in highschool art classes. I used Plastaline. It doesn't harden so I'll have to cast it once I'm happy with it. You can also see I used a plastic mask as a base instead of sculpting onto the styrofoam head. Reason there is because I have a large head and the styrofoam head is a bit small. The mask was already in mostly the right shape so I bought it and cut some bits off to make it closer to what I needed.

Criticisms are welcome, just don't hit me too hard. I could use pretty much any help I can get! I know it looks a little goofy and not quite natural, but come on, it's Deadpool. 'Nuff said, right? I wanted it to be angry and I think I captured that pretty well. If you've got any input I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks for looking! I'll post more as I get more complete. Like I said, this is going to be a pretty committed project, so I hope I can stay focused and keep motivated to get into shape for it.

By the way, the lipstick on the fake head's lips is not mine. It was there when I bought it. ;)

I think you've done a pretty good job there matey! Pardon my ignorance but how does this work, does it go under a Spandex mask like a faceshell or something?

Thank you! And kinda yes. Except the mask will have open areas that the sculpt will be visible through. I'll link to one of my inspiration threads when I get to my computer and it should answer your question right away.

Could anyone give me advice on the best way to cast this piece? There are tons of methods and materials out there and I know nothing about them, or which would/wouldn't damage this type of clay. There's a store in my general area that sells casting/modelling stuff so I'll try and get over there to see if they can give me some info, but if someone could offer input I would be mucho grateful!

Edit: I'm dumb and can't read my own source material.

Last edited:
sorry for the dumb question, but what are you sculpting on top off? what is that fantastic white shell thing?

it was just a partial mask thing i found at hobby lobby. it was almost but not quite butterfly shaped so i cut it down to a more usable shape, and hacked off the partial nose.

Also slight update. I went to a local shop and they were able to point me in the right direction in terms of how to mold and cast this piece, so i bought some rebound 25 and smooth cast 65d from them, and am waiting for some plaster bandages from amazon. once those get here, hopefully tomorrow, i will start making the mold. Also got my costume in. I look like a fool in it, but whatevs. i was hoping to be able to salvage the mask but i absent-mindedly sharpied all over it so i'm gonna have to make a new one. That's ok though, the mask that came with the costume didn't have the little point at the top of the head. Problem here is finding color-matched spandex. I the local Joann had spandex but not red (wtf?) so i'll have to order some samples online i suppose. Ah well, i got a bit of time to get everything together.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back