Hi,

Thought i'd post my latest project by way of an introduction:

3cDYe4c.jpg

ID4yX69.jpg

0i1DfMQ.jpg

FIqPAM5.jpg

PIvq0ch.jpg

3cDYe4c.jpg

She's a 1/100th scale model of the ironclad frigate Acheron. She's my own design, and I've been building airships along a similair theme for a few years now. This particular model is scratchbuilt from plywood; I produced plans in Autocad which a friend and I cut out with a CNC router. Some of the finer details, such as guns and the wheelhouse, were fabricated from spare parts from my bits box.

The plywood frame is covered with a triple layer of tissue paper and a PVA/alcohol dope. I used to use cellulose dope, but I got sick of the fumes and the fire hazard. The vessel is painted and partially weathered with Tamiya acrylics, and also with charcoal, coffee, and black paint.

The engines were made from a pen lid and epoxy filler, before being reproduced using a silicone mould and jemonite resin.

Apologies I didn't get any WIP shots, I only got hold of a camera today.
-Matt

Last edited:
Matthew,

What a fantastic ship. Very nice design. Do you have more steam punk flavored ships or items?

Mark

Matthew,

What a fantastic ship. Very nice design. Do you have more steam punk flavored ships or items?

Mark

Thanks, and plenty; here's a small selection:
qHtAjU7.jpg

Gatling gun
FOoeZz8.jpg

fzESxvE.jpg

Airships built for/from Guns of Icarus: online
30lGCTx.jpg

S.S. Hammerhead Castle - the first of my "current" run of models. The photograph was composited by my friend, J. Happs.
r8n9jA7.jpg

EXNu4UN.jpg

"Tiger Moth" from Laputa: Castle in the sky. I sold this recently; wish i'd got better pictures. Went to a nice home at least.
-Matt

Matt,

What great models. Really, really nice work. The Gatling gun is very cool. Please share more of your work and thanks for you're reply.

Mark

Thanks; I had another trawl earlier, found these:
yevN5eJ.jpg

MDPPYfT.jpg

EiG5VOz.jpg

vTisnnG.jpg

HMS Ophelia - Aberney Park's airship; designed by Myke Amend
xkuy1ti.jpg

TIHWNiZ.jpg

Skaven flying Galleon, from when I used to play tabletop wargames.
dXby1Ww.jpg

Prussian mask

I had my first job as props master on a short film last week as well - I had to build a steampunk robot in about 9 hours; I posted about it here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/steampunk-mechanical-man-sci-fi-london-48-hour-film-challenge-211150/

Quad copter - nah; I used to have a remote controlled airship; i'll build another at some point.
-Matt

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back