Darth Vader ESB costume

StaggzCosplay

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys! So I've been over at the SLD for a while building my Vader suit. but I may as well share it here too, right?
Here's what all I have.
Basic Helmet kit- Darth Stone kit form, but taking it and the armor to the body shop to be painted between now and next week (my plan is to actually take it tomorrow)
Belt boxes- Ace replicas
Belt buckle- Ace replicas
Saber hook- Ace replicas
Lightsaber- Master replicas (going to convert it)
Cape- Custom Props
Gloves- Fenix Props
Inner Robe- Custom Props
Bodysuit- Custom props
Armor- Darth Stone kit form, going to take it to the body shop to be painted as well Shin-guards- Porty kit form, I can paint these myself.
cod piece- Artisan Props
belt- Artisan props
boots- 1980's men's leather riding boots

So far, here are the pics of everything I have.
DarthVaderbeltbucklelitup_zpsd1bf6f05.jpg

DarthVaderbelt_zps804bcfbb.jpg

(yeah, that chest box is totally made out of paper just for reference.....)
1922466_710169225670098_36056684_n.jpg

My main concern was that the armor wouldn't sit right and would look too big on me... but I personally think it looks really good, and fits very well. Stone also said the only thing he saw wrong is that I was holding my belt buckle too low. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
The cod goes at your waist and the belt goes above more on your stomach just above your waist.

All the parts look good to me.
Awesome, thank you!
So the belt goes about right at your belly button? And there's supposed to be like a 3 or 4 inch gap between the belt and chest box right?

It's different for everyone because of short or long torsos versus leg length for height. Usually you go from the top down.

The armor will set a certain way, then you set the gap between the bottom of the armor and the chest box, then set the gap between the chest box and the belt, then set the gap between the belt and the cod.

It's different for everyone because of short or long torsos versus leg length for height. Usually you go from the top down.

The armor will set a certain way, then you set the gap between the bottom of the armor and the chest box, then set the gap between the chest box and the belt, then set the gap between the belt and the cod.
Oh, there is a gap between the belt and cod? Did not know that....
And my guess is, if some of the gaps look too small, since I'll be wearing lifts, maybe pull the belt and cod down just slightly and it won't be noticeable?

The gap between the belt and cod is minimal and different in a few scenes, the belt boxes should sit resting just on top of the cod.

Always best to just use ref pics because if the top looks right you can cheat the bottom and the capes help smooth out the look.

empire_darthb-vi.jpg

The gap between the belt and cod is minimal and different in a few scenes, the belt boxes should sit resting just on top of the cod.

Always best to just use ref pics because if the top looks right you can cheat the bottom and the capes help smooth out the look.

http://images56.fotki.com/v371/photos/9/976173/4001324/empire_darthb-vi.jpg
Awesome, thank you! I was planning on cheating slightly, but after looking at that picture... I may be able to get my proportions correct without cheating too too much...I will probably still require to have things ever so slightly lower than usual (the belt and cod), but no big deal.

Just wanted to show you guys some more progress on the suit. I have to add the pleats to my robe, hem it, and then take in the crotch area on my pants.

Last edited:
Looks good so far! Pretty much all top shelf parts that are currently available.:thumbsup The only thing from the pic showing your inner robe that I would say needs slight altering is that it needs pleats/darts added to it. There should be 3 pleats/darts on each side of the inner robe that start approx. 1 inch in from the opening edge, & run perpendicular to the belt. They are spaced 1 inch apart from each other. Here's a couple of decent reference pics from ESB.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing more!(y)cool

Looks good so far! Pretty much all top shelf parts that are currently available.:thumbsup The only thing from the pic showing your inner robe that I would say needs slight altering is that it needs pleats/darts added to it. There should be 3 pleats/darts on each side of the inner robe that start approx. 1 inch in from the opening edge, & run perpendicular to the belt. They are spaced 1 inch apart from each other. Here's a couple of decent reference pics from ESB.

[url]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/jangojeff1968/ESBVaderpleating1.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/jangojeff1968/ESBVaderpleats2.jpg[/URL]

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing more!(y)cool

Thank you! :D
oh yeah, I absolutely know it needs to be pleated :) my plan is to have it pleated and hemmed at the same time that I get my cape hemmed :) I may somehow find a way to make the top of the robe less wide too, and the arm holes less wide. Its hair to get it positioned correctly, but it might be fixed when it gets pleated....

Chest box came in today... I also fixed me weirdly puffy muscle suit arms....

Tomorrow my plan is to go pick up both the armor and helmet from the body shop, then I just have to get everything hemmed, my robe pleated, and then finish up just a few other things.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back