TJack's Amazing Spiderman 2 Faceshell and Lenses

*REDACTED*

I would refrain from doing this kind of price estimation on an artisan's interest thread, especially one that voluntarily devalues his work and effort to be in the [low-dollar amount] range. I recently made a jerry-rigged magnet, lens and faceshell combination using already existing components, and if I had charged minimum wage for my man-hours spent working on it, it would have cost several hundred dollars, and it won't even be half as nice as the shell and lens set TJack is working on from scratch. Pretty much any price he sets for this package will be a bargain (because very few hobby artisans charge fairly for the hours they put in) but that doesn't mean you should volunteer numbers for him that explicitly shortchange the value of his work. The only comparable lens set I've seen for sale was nearly double the price range you estimated. If TJack wants to beat those prices, that's fine, but don't tell him his work is worth less than that.

Last edited:
I would refrain from doing this kind of price estimation on an artisan's interest thread, especially one that voluntarily devalues his work and effort to be in any dollar range. I recently made a jerry-rigged magnet, lens and faceshell combination using already existing components, and if I had charged minimum wage for my man-hours spent working on it would have cost several hundred dollars, and it won't even be half as nice as the shell and lens set TJack is working on from scratch. Pretty much any price he sets for this package will be a bargain (because very few hobby artisans charge fairly for the hours they put in) but that doesn't mean you should volunteer numbers for him that explicitly shortchange the value of his work. The only comparable lens set I've seen for sale was nearly double the price range you estimated. If TJack want to beat those prices, that's fine, but don't tell him his work is worth less than that.

I didn't mean any disrespect or to devalue anything. Just wanted to help out. I've edited my post. If you edit the quote out of yours then it will be no harm no foul.
The prices were based on his previous builds and runs.

Last edited:
I didn't mean any disrespect or to devalue anything. Just wanted to help out. I've edited my post. If you edit the quote out of yours then it will be no harm no foul.
I know you didn't intend any harm, but the post was still a bit tactless. No worries. I've removed your quoted post and amended the dollar range figure, which you can cut out of your quote accordingly.

The prices were based on his previous builds and runs.
The whole point of this project is to be a good deal more accurate and specific than his previous runs, so it's best to let him command any discussion of pricing rather than presuming. I know from personal correspondance that TJack has put a good deal more research, care, and development into this lens set than his previous budget lenses, and is gearing up to make something really special.

Personally, TJack could put any price on this set he wants, and I'd probably still buy it.
I'm pretty intellectually and emotionally invested in this new build.

My earlier post, before I edited it, was to try and give some semblance of a price range to the member who was inquiring.

I should have known I'd get myself into trouble, haha

I've always been known lack a certain amount of tact.

Hey guys, figured I'd pop in since I got an alert there was some activity in the thread :)

As others have stated, I'm still not set on a final price as I have a few things I'm still working on and am not 100% positive on all the final materials I'm going to be using.

That being said, my goal has always been to try and make this hobby affordable for everyone which is why I looked to find a way to offer my other lenses at a low price. I promise you that I will be as fair as I can when they are ready to go :thumbsup

Hey guys, figured I'd pop in since I got an alert there was some activity in the thread :)

As others have stated, I'm still not set on a final price as I have a few things I'm still working on and am not 100% positive on all the final materials I'm going to be using.

That being said, my goal has always been to try and make this hobby affordable for everyone which is why I looked to find a way to offer my other lenses at a low price. I promise you that I will be as fair as I can when they are ready to go :thumbsup

Just keep it under $2,000, okay?

Haha, no, thanks for the updates.
I'll try my best to refrain from commenting any further until you've got something solid; in lieu of letting the alerts to this thread be for the people who are "new interests" in the project.

(bows and backs out of the room)

Man, I haven't been in the Spidey Suit scene ever scene I got my SM3 Raimi suit about 6 years ago lol. I'm definitely interested in your faceshell and lenses, tjack.

"That being said, my goal has always been to try and make this hobby affordable for everyone which is why I looked to find a way to offer my other lenses at a low price. I promise you that I will be as fair as I can when they are ready to go"

Dude, you're too kind, bro. But seriously, I'll pay whatever price you name. I think people understand that this is an expensive hobby afterall.

Quick update, the 3D modeller who was printing out my new frames is having issues with the printer so my final frame design is going to be delayed getting to me until sometime next week (as long as his printer gets back up an running).

However the base shell is ready and just waiting for the frames so I can create the recess.

I planned to offer the asm2 shell in universal form as well for those who already purchased my other asm2 frames so I'll take some pics and update my universal shell thread in the JY shortly.

Quick update, the 3D modeller who was printing out my new frames is having issues with the printer so my final frame design is going to be delayed getting to me until sometime next week (as long as his printer gets back up an running).

However the base shell is ready and just waiting for the frames so I can create the recess.

I planned to offer the asm2 shell in universal form as well for those who already purchased my other asm2 frames so I'll take some pics and update my universal shell thread in the JY shortly.

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see what you've cooked up!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389369786242.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389369786242.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I swear I stop by this thread at least three times a day. Please add me to that list though, I can't get enough of this anticipation it's slowly killing me. Haha

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back