$5 Alternative Sound Effect Board! The possibilites are endless!

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been wanting to add a soundboard to my Darth Vader costume for a LONG time and just found this great alternative!

41o4mmkw7lL.jpg

These little guys are currently available through Amazon for UNDER $5.

It measures 3" x 2" x 2", so was easily zip-tied to the back of Vader's belt, under his cape. I had an MP3 file with a single breathing sound that automatically looped while Vader walked around. It was clear and loud, added a great effect to the costume and easily lasted the 3+ hours we were walking around in costume (the instructions say it holds a charge for 4 hours).

I'm thinking of adding some quotes next time to see how that works out, but for $5, it's WELL worth it for the breathing sound! You do have to provide your own Micro SD card, but if you don't have one of those, they generally run about $10, depending on how big you want it to be.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

I found the Lilypad-Arduino MP3 player. It's a multi-track MP3 player that lets you trigger up to 5 separate tracks (one-at-a-time) via pushbuttons. It comes pre-assembled and pre-programmed (add your own MicroSD card). Pushbuttons are placed wherever convenient to be pushed. I'm thinking of mounting them at the hem of a jacket where a casual squeeze will trigger the sound. Can be 'wire-sewn' with conductive thread inside a costume, or use regular wire. Can be permanently sewn into a garment and can be washed. Take out the battery; but must be thoroughly dry before plugging in battery again. Not affiliated with Lilypad or SparkFun etc. etc.
.IMG_8997.c050.jpg
--Paul E Musselman

Sounds cool... but aren't those in the range of about $50? At that price point, you could get any number of guys to build you a custom sound board.

Dude. Find of the century right there.

Was it loud enough to be heard in a crowd? Most of the cons I go to get pretty loud.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back