Foam Latex vs Latex

If the alginate has gone bad it will take forever to set but will still set. Also it's integrity is downgraded.

Thanks! I'll have to do a test tonight so I have time to buy more before the weekend. I've been looking at various information to lifecasting someones head/face with alignate, and I've heard some people say it's actually a bad idea to put straws in the persons nose if they are worried or have issues breathing out of their nose. Can anyone explain to me why?

Putting straws in someones nose while doing a life cast distorts their nostrils, so it doesn't give you an accurate life cast. There's also the problem of bumping the straw and causing wounds inside of the nose.

Don't put straws in the nose. It is annoying to the model, prevents getting the nostril detail and looks ridiculous. Keep a couple of cotton tips handy to clear any alginate that may impede breathing.

Don't put straws in the nose. It is annoying to the model, prevents getting the nostril detail and looks ridiculous. Keep a couple of cotton tips handy to clear any alginate that may impede breathing.

Well the catch 22 of it all is I need the cast of my head, it's going to be a learning experience for all of us. Going to sit down and have them watch Neill Gorton's Lifecasting with Alignate DVD so they don't murder me. The reason I asked is my own concern, I have a deviated septum so I can only ever breathe out of one nostril couple that with the fact that it's allergy season here in Michigan; it can be super difficult sometimes. I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice in this regard though.

OK, I get it. It's not the best but you can do the cast in parts. I have had to cast noses separate as they either had breathing issues or claustrophobia. Then piece it back together or just don't do the nostrils but do the top of the nose then build up and carve the nostrils and tip back.

I figured I'd drag up my old topic instead of creating a new one. I need a plaster or plastic male head bust for sculpting clay on for this mask. I'd much prefer using a plaster cast of my own face however I cannot find anyone comfortable covering my face with alginate and plaster bandages. Not to mention I have horrendous allergies so my nose is consistently always stuffed, I would not see it ending well. Can you fine folks suggest a good resource for purchasing a generic male head and possibly shoulder bust? Much appreciated!

EDIT: Does alginate go bad and if so how do you tell? I still want to practice casting and I have some that I bought back in October.

Yes, it has a shelf life of about a year. Always test a small cup before doing a whole batch. It should set up in about 5-7 mins. If its bad, it will never solidify.

Thanks everyone for the words of advice. I may have to delay it again until fall comes when my allergies die out and I can't breathe normally so I can do a proper whole cast at the same time.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back