Female Street Judge Build WIP

The build is looking good and coming together quickly, i,ve gone down the moto-cross armour route for my build but have ended up only using the padded shoulder pads,plus there were rectangular forearm protectors which i,m using as shin armour on boots look forward to seeing the finished result

Thanks, guys. Super busy at work this week, have a function to attend during the weekend as well, but I will hopefully get to hit a few craft stores I don't typically have access to. Trying to get a "parts list" of what I still need together so I won't forget what all I am looking for.

I'm also to the "what all should I order, and can it get here in time for me to work it into the build and have it ready for Halloween" phase. Some things it will be all on me to finish after I get them. You know helmet, Cobra buckles, maybe a different foam dart gun instead of the Nerf Stryder, etc. Also have a growing pile of stuff I know I need to return, mostly to Wal-Mart, just odds and ends.

I did organize my Dredd stuff to one corner, so I can clean the explosion that is the rest of the room that has the work table. You wouldn't know from the pic, but it's a real mess on the other side.

dredd_room.jpg

(still have about 30 rivets to drill out of that back peice you see hanging, but I did get the first two existing armor panels off!)

Should be starting the vest this week though, the measuring of the panels at least, so I can get started on the armor.

I have to do some extra stuff for work this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to pick back up on the eagle yet, but I did get a few things while I was at Walmart today:

Kevin Smith's gym shorts - I can't find any black mesh local (just neons and tan) so I got this XXXL pair of Starter shorts for $8.88

Ha! That's good stuff.

Nice work so far.

Today I ordered the following:

• Custom Badge - cold cast with brass powder, this will have my last name on it and be all weathered up and ready to go out of the box
  • Belt Buckle - cold cast with brass, smooth on back, have to add my own belt buckle hardware, but it's finished out on the front. NOTE ON BELTS: I read that the belt you use should be 1.625 inches, BUT 1.5 and 1.75 are ok, but don't get a 2 inch belt. I just measured mine and it's 1.5 inches.
  • Breach Mine - cold cast with aluminum and comes painted green, so if I want to hit it with some sandpaper to weather it, the silver color will come through in those spots.

Didn't plan on ordering a breach mine, but combined shipping and pre-painted for a good price, why not? I am thinking about ordering stun grenades (aka flash bangs) from same seller, but they are a little smaller than screen used (I'm not even sure what the screen used size is) and I have to finish them out myself. Not a deal breaker or anything, but I have so much other stuff to do as well.

I kind of want to order a DREDD badge just to display or something, but not sure, the money could certainly go to use elsewhere on the costume.

Next up to order this week:

• Amazon.com order of some odds and ends (don't even have them picked yet though).
  • Helmet - This is an unfinished helmet, so I have to cut out the leftovers from when it was molded, but it does come with a cold cast brass helmet badge and a visor for me to glue in

I might still order a few ready made movie replica things, but just the smaller cheaper stuff I can get before Halloween.

Thinking very hard about getting the cobra buckles, but they are very expensive. 1" are $21 USD and 2" are $23 USD, $197 before shipping and not sure if they charge tax. I could get just two, but I think I might rather get the good ones now and cheap out on the armor, and then be able to use my vest to put kydex panels on later and it will already have to good buckles, no redoing it later with Cobras needed.

HA. I don't think the Cobras will happen MAYBE just two, I just added up my current cost, plus today's stuff I have to pay for next week and the helmet I plan to order and HOLY CRAP HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!? lol and I still have to do the amazon order and buy some materials.

Today I ordered the following:

• Custom Badge - cold cast with brass powder, this will have my last name on it and be all weathered up and ready to go out of the box
  • Belt Buckle - cold cast with brass, smooth on back, have to add my own belt buckle hardware, but it's finished out on the front. NOTE ON BELTS: I read that the belt you use should be 1.625 inches, BUT 1.5 and 1.75 are ok, but don't get a 2 inch belt. I just measured mine and it's 1.5 inches.
  • Breach Mine - cold cast with aluminum and comes painted green, so if I want to hit it with some sandpaper to weather it, the silver color will come through in those spots.
...I am thinking about ordering stun grenades (aka flash bangs) from same seller, but they are a little smaller than screen used (I'm not even sure what the screen used size is) and I have to finish them out myself. Not a deal breaker or anything, but I have so much other stuff to do as well.

I kind of want to order a DREDD badge just to display or something, but not sure, the money could certainly go to use elsewhere on the costume.

You'll be very happy with the cold cast items; they'll look great.

For Flash Bang (and other) measurements, you can refer to the Janus thread, and specifically:

screen-used-judge-janus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373852069.976112.jpg-208132d1373852070

For a Display badge, a Bratina badge might be the way to go to save costs.

You're making awesome progress!

Thinking very hard about getting the cobra buckles, but they are very expensive. 1" are $21 USD and 2" are $23 USD, $197 before shipping and not sure if they charge tax. I could get just two, but I think I might rather get the good ones now and cheap out on the armor, and then be able to use my vest to put kydex panels on later and it will already have to good buckles, no redoing it later with Cobras needed.

You're looking at the adjustable buckles. The 1" non-adjustable buckles are $18, and the 2" non-adjustable are $21 I believe.

Striker01, really like the bike light idea, everything is more awesome when it lights up. I'm trying to get the big ticket item of the vest out of the way then I will try to come back to working on the smaller stuff for the belt. I need to get started on doing craft foam holsters too, don't think I have time to become a leather worker until after Halloween.

You'll be very happy with the cold cast items; they'll look great.

For Flash Bang (and other) measurements, you can refer to the Janus thread, and specifically:

For a Display badge, a Bratina badge might be the way to go to save costs.

You're making awesome progress!

Thanks for the link to that thread, I haven't seen it before. The stun grenade/flash is actually the screen size - I read the message wrong, they were telling me that they weren't a large size, they will be the movie size. The brain is a little mushy with so much Dredd info in it. Excellent idea on the Bratina badge if I just want a DREDD for display later, good practice on finishing out something that was 3D print vs. cast as well. I see you've changed your avatar to your badge, looks great in the avatar, what's the story on it?

You're looking at the adjustable buckles. The 1" non-adjustable buckles are $18, and the 2" non-adjustable are $21 I believe.

Ah! You are correct, I was looking at the very first thing on the page (way to go on putting the more expensive option first for the up sell austrialpin. lol) that will save me a few bucks. So they are all fixed, and just have sliders on the webbing for adjustment? (will have to check out some detail shots again)

I've picked up a couple of different kinds of plastic buckles, but I really don't like the plain ones I got, and then I got some that have an X shape that are better, but not a Cobra-like buckle or anything. Yeah, I know, Judge Goldilocks over here. Haven't had much luck finding 4 good 2" plastic buckles, even on amazon, it's either like 10 of them, or they come with a bunch of webbing I don't want, etc. Really trying to find most odds and ends on amazon and sold by amazon so I can get the most bang for my buck on free shipping and easy returns. Looks like I will end up ordering from a few different places though.

I see you've changed your avatar to your badge, looks great in the avatar, what's the story on it?

It's an Andyface custom. I :love it.

fwiw I put up a pic on my online stash with an unfinished bratina, the Andyface badge, and a bratina with rubnbuff; I am going to strip it and restart it again with a primer, then black, then the Grecian gold Rubnbuf. The sizes are slightly different too, at the bottom. The sides pretty much match up perfectly; the Bratina is maybe 5mm longer including 1-2mm "edging".

Hey guys! I haven't really slowed down much, but I haven't Had much time to update my thread. I think I found a pretty decent way to get craft foam to look kind of like worn leather for the knees and elbows. I also started drawing some templates for the green belt gear, the templates I found were a bit off compared to their actual size. I got the template for the stun grenade holder cut out in paper tonight. I also made a detailed list of parts so I can remember what to shop for tomorrow when in stores. Should have several pics to post this evening.

Great Work, look to seeing the complete Costume :cool

Thanks, Gerry - me too! lol

WEEKEND UPDATE: JUDGE EDITION

Didn't get to go shopping, didn't feel too great and just didn't have that good of an idea of what I still need. I did find some templates to the green leather stuff on the belt, but they weren't just right so I redrew some of the items.

RETURNS:

I returned all the following stuff to Wal-Mart today, and got $55.54 for doing so:

returns.jpg

Big tip: Don't take anything out of the package until you need it so incase you find something better before you use it, you can return it. Well, some things you can get out and look at and re-box, but you get the idea.

NEW GUN

I decided to return the Nerf gun and go with this instead:

http://www.therpf.com/f71/lawgiver-base-model-fires-20-here-you-go-193833/

It is shorter and has the front mag, with an angle (though it's on the back side instead of front). I ordered the cheapest one I could find on Amazon, but it wasn't sold by amazon and didn't have the super saver shipping option therefore, so it ended up going from $17ish to $24ish with shipping. $4 more than the Nerf. I ordered it separate since it wouldn't qualify for prime (going to sign up for the free 30 days soon) and was from a seller on amazon vs. amazon. Want to make sure I get it ASAP.

Be sure to scroll down the linked thread to see it painted up (not Dredd style, but just an example).

The rest of the stuff I either didn't need because I found the items at home, bought the wrong thing, or got something better to replace them.

STRAPPING AND BUCKLES:

I got 3 more X buckles, the last they had, 2 with 3 ft strapping and 1 with 6ft, they also had 2 inch buckles and adjusters, they came 2 buckles and 2 adjusters in a box, so I got 2 boxes. Here is a photo of all the stuff that's going to connect the vest panels (and gun holster), all I lack is the 1" cotton and D rings for the arms (if I can find it, if not, it gets nylon) and some 2" webbing. Gun holster will need a few other odds and ends for connecting.

All of this was under the cost of 1 1" Cobra buckle:

vestconnect.jpg

FOAM PAINT AND TEXTURE:

I also did more testing on craft foam to get more of textured plastic armor panel look on it, then I experimented with getting it to look like the cracked leather of the green knees and elbows. I will most likely seal the foam with something when I get started for real as you can still see little specks of the foam color after several coats. I think wood glue is used a lot. With a lot of water based stuff on it, I will probably seal it with something as well.

Here is the testing:

texturetest1.jpgtexturetest2.jpg

I don't feel like I have a whole lot to show yet, just a bunch of collected parts for things. Hoping that changes soon and that I can get the front of my vest sewn up. The next thing I will be doing is drawing armor templates based off of prop pics.

The leathery look of that craft foam for the knees and elbows is looking great...very interested to see how those turn out! That'll be a nice cost effective way to get those knees and elbows done!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back