BUILD THREAD: Star Trek TOS Phaser Rifle

Mr. Nagata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've always loved this prop, but never quite enough to pay several hundred dollars for the Roddenberry kit. I also want to carry it around at conventions and stuff, so I want it to be lightweight and cheap, so I won't feel bad about scratching it up. Plus, with the actual screen-used rifle coming up for auction recently, there's some new reference material for it (including the accurate dimensions of the prop), so I have an opportunity to make some small corrections to it that the Roddenberry kit got wrong.

Again, while I like this prop a lot, I don't love it enough to spend more than a few days and a few bucks on this build. So I decided to make it all out of materials I could cut and shape quickly with hand tools. I constructed the main body pieces all out of 2 dollar chipboard and a leftover cardboard mailing tube (which will later be saturated with resin to make it hard and strong):

51_riflewip1.jpg

The undercarriage and rear handle and made from balsa (which will also be saturated with resin later to make them less prone to dents since balsa is quite soft:

51_riflewip2.jpg

51_riflewip5.jpg

Handgrip details with all done with chipboard:

51_riflewip3.jpg

The front cone of the rifle is just styrofoam, filled with putty, then sanded smooth. This will also be coated in resin:

51_riflewip4.jpg

Painted all the parts with resin:

51_riflewip6.jpg

Now I'm skipping about a half dozen steps here, but after I coated the chipboard parts with resin and let them cure, I sanded them, filler primed them, bondoed and puttied them, sanded them again, primed them again, etc. etc. until the surfaces were perfectly smooth:

51_riflewip7.jpg

That's all for now. I'm making a few compromises for ease of construction. For instance, the rear body of the actual rifle tapers a bit toward the back. I decided not to include that detail as it would have been too difficult to do with cardboard. Also, the targeting screen and front grill are recessed into the body of the rifle. Too much work. I'm just going to print vinyl labels and stick them on top. Not recessed.

Annnnd... subscribed.

I sanded them, filler primed them, bondoed and puttied them, sanded them again, primed them again, etc. etc. until the surfaces were perfectly smooth:

I'm amazed how smooth and sharp you got those lines/fillets. You say you use bondo AND putty? Why both?

I also use milliput/epoxy putty. But I'll show you how I use that in the next update. It's for a very specific purpose.

That's part of the reason I decided to do the rifle now. Because there's finally good reference photos of the back of the rifle. All the screen caps and promotional stills that exist have the back side of the rifle concealed under Kirk's arm.

Some more updates. Since I skipped all these steps before, I thought I would document them here for the next round of parts. Here's the undercarriage after the resin coating has cured:

51_riflewip8.jpg

After a quick sanding to get the surface more even:

51_riflewip9.jpg

Primed it once, sanded again. Added the little lip on the end of the handgrip with a piece of styrene tube:

51_riflewip10.jpg

Cleaned out the recessed details a bit with a dremel router bit:

51_riflewip11.jpg

After sanding and priming once, I applied spot putty to the back handle and nose cone:

51_riflewip12.jpg

Sanded the back handle. One step closer to a smooth finish:

51_riflewip13.jpg

Primed again, applied more spot putty to imperfections. Used Milliput in the corners where the parts come together to get smooth, curved joints:

51_riflewip14.jpg

Wow... Just wow. Love these step by step threads. Always learn something new every time.

Did you use the Dremel freehand to clean out the recessed bits?

-Skyler101

Way to go- I love this type of build. It is looking really good so far.

(Does this mean we'll see you in a WNMHGB costume carrying it at a con?)

I'm probably going to carry it with my Tholian Web suit, if anything (while it never happened in the show, I'm sure at some point, a Starfleet officer must have used the rifle while wearing a space suit). I plan to do the FC style space suit for Susanne with an EVA rifle later this year, so we would be in companion costumes (just from different Trek eras).

More updates. Started working on the cylinders today. Fortunately, I had a piece of the correctly-sized acrylic tubing leftover from another project, so this rifle is barely costing me anything:

51_riflewip15.jpg

51_riflewip16.jpg

Completed all the finishing work on the undercarriage/foregrip and back handle until they were smooth and flawless enough to my satisfaction. The back handle is primed with black primer, not painted yet:

51_riflewip17.jpg

I went ahead and painted the main body sections. I used Duplicolor "Maui Blue," which was the closest match at my local Pep Boys. It's not bad. Maybe a touch darker than the actual gun, but I've got no complaints:

51_riflewip18.jpg

A close-up showing the finish (color is off in these photos):

51_riflewip19.jpg

Absolutely stunning.
What is it like working with balsa wood? I've seen it a few times and thought 'hmm', but I've never tried because I always assumed it would just break. On seeing this I'm guessing I never gave it enough credit.

Can't wait to see it finished, it's really beautiful so far.

Honestly, I don't normally use balsa for props. MDF usually for something like this. But MDF is heavy and I want to carry this around. With the skin of resin on it, it's slightly more sturdy. The chipboard on the other hand soaks up the resin like a sponge and becomes quite strong.

Absolutely stunning.
What is it like working with balsa wood? I've seen it a few times and thought 'hmm', but I've never tried because I always assumed it would just break. On seeing this I'm guessing I never gave it enough credit.

Can't wait to see it finished, it's really beautiful so far.

Your building details have given me some more tools to put in my bag of tricks! Thanks

That's what I love to hear!

Quick and dirty mask job to paint the recesses of the foregrip:

51_riflewip20.jpg

51_riflewip21.jpg

Also painted some detail parts for the cylinders. I painted slip washers and had these wooden circles laying around (also from another project). They just happened to be exactly the right size.

51_riflewip22.jpg

They will cap the ends of the cylinders like so:

51_riflewip23.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back