Greedo Killer DL-44 Blaster Build: Denix

scottjua

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After my last Greedo Killer build, I had it up on ebay and for sale here to pay for some surprise car repair bills. It sold, but one of the people who was interested in it on eBay actually contacted me about building another for them.

I had an extra Weaver scope that was close to a compac, and could get the flash hider, no problem, so all I needed was the sold out parts for the scope mount from correlian exports.

Naturally being sold out, Vince couldn't help me, and I really didn't want to try to machine all of it myself as I would have a tough time with the dovetail, and to come in under or at the budget for the build.

So I pleaded with Vinace and he was able to sell me the grill and the dovetail from his mount run which he had leftover, along with most of the screws needed.

So with that I decided to forge ahead, and sourced the raw materials for the rest of the scope mount. Luckily the materials were not expensive at all, and it was just going to be my time and skill put to the test.

I already had a complete set from CE for the GK mounts, so I used those pieces as templates and started making everything else from scratch on my lathe, drill press, and belt sander.

In the end it all came out great!

Here's some pics:

I had some leftover bar stock from lightsaber builds which I used to turn down the knobs. Also shown is the raw stock for the other mount parts.

I didn't take progress pics, except the FH adapter shown later, but here's the raw.
photo.JPG

And here are the finished pieces. They're identical to Vince's CE parts now, except I tapered the one edge of the cross bar more.
IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

I debated doing these paint or aluminum black, and went aluminum black. The end result worked out great, as the weathering worked out as I imagined it and looked much better than paint.
IMG_1888.jpg

Action shot of turning down the flash hider adapter to fit on the end of the denix barrel
IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

Vintage M9 flash hider. This one was a little different from the past three that I had. The wing nut was a little different and the stamping was unique.
IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

I got rid of the unsightly post for the bolt on the denix and blued it. I also had to file the front of the mag well to fit the GK grill, and I blended and blued that as well.
IMG_1953.jpg

Real Weaver scope. Just something about looking through real glass that I like. ^_^
IMG_1954.jpg

One more shot of the made pieces in the light.
IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

So there it is. The next one I build will be for ME, and on an MGC... and I'll probably put sound in it like my Hero.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Kevin! Yes it came in really handy. Caustic stuff though! ^_^

Michael, how much thinner do you think they should be? I was looking at the chronicles pics, and they seem CLOSE... but I haven't questioned it really to be honest. I need to look into that for when I do mine then.

Nice build. :thumbsup

But the same as with the CE bracket knobs - i think they are way to thick.

Couldn´t agree more!

I still have one of BD´s old GK mounts and this looks way more arrurate, having thinner knobs.

Great work Scott, you´re catching up fast ;):thumbsup

Markus

Love this, love all of hans blasters, really wish I could have one of these or make my own but I lack both the skills and the finance to do it. Not a happy chap :lol love all your blaster builds as they all look so authentic! Maybe one day ill have enough to own one of your master pieces!

Is a denix a good way to go for starting any kind of han blaster? What are the opinions on blast techs conversion kits?
I'd love to make an esb one. Not a fan of the ANH hero but love the esb versions te GK an the rotj one. Any thoughts?
I'm also only 15 so I don't really have access to machinery or anything like that nor do I
Have loads of cash so I would really appreciate any help you can offer to me. Probably easier if you do it via PM or email.
Georgemorris2598@gmail.com
Thanks very much :)

Last edited:
I'll answer here so anyone can benefit from the opinion.

The denix is a perfectly good base. It's much less expensive than most other options, and easy enough to work with if you wanna get crafty and actually mess with the metal.

Blast tech I don't think has too much left in the way of parts. He might have some more ESB scope mounts, but that's about it. Email him and ask for sure though.

Ebay can net you some decent parts for an ESB. Evolution props on ebay has some flash hiders, and there are some nice resin scopes to be had there too.

GK is tougher. Corellian Exports here on therpf might do another run of GK scope mounts... if he does, that's what I'd get. The scope is HARD to find if you want a real one. But there are real semi close alternatives, ot Adamata here on the forum makes Resin casts that are really nice.

The GK flash hider... I have only found on gunbroker.com.

Noob question on weathering... You say you had to choose between paint or aluminum black... no idea what you mean by "Aluminum black" but I like the way it turned out... could you fill me in?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back