Buildin' a space gun (yet another mal's gun build)

Iananan

Hey internet,

Been lurking for ages, but thought I'd share my progress on the Moses Brothers Self-Defense Engine Frontier Model B, I've been building around a crappy plastic revolver I bought off ebay.

here's a full (hopefully in order) album of what I've done, but most of it is incremental and probably super boring.

here's how it's looking, fleshed out so far.

bhJDxPh.jpg

dHpY3W9.jpg

with and without stand in barrel.

the greeblies on the outside aren't attached yet, and everything I've done needs a heckuva lot of refining. and most of this I'm making up as I go along, process wise, as this is my first build of this kind.

All styrene and apoxie sculpt on top of a massacred toy revolver

what do you all think?

also, anyone got any idea how to get the barrel made? that's been haunting me through the whole build so far.

Last edited:
the closest I've figured out from screenshots and vague measurements of the base gun (the taurus 85 that the original gun was built around) it wants to be about 17mm wide, but it's the octagonal nature that's confounding me.

it also wants to be 100mm long to give it enough of a mounting point inside the body of the gun.

Here's your barrel. Verify your measurements/details and I'll tweek it accordingly. :cheers

Then I can send it to shapeways so you can order one if you would like.
I don't know a cost without submitting a file.

malcolmbarrel_zps7b1210a3.jpg

18mm wide, and 132mm long, and eyeballing from some front-on shots, and doing a little mockup in illustrator alongside my profile view, looks like 11mm diameter barrel inside.

I accepted when I started it that this build wasn't going to be screen accurate, but as close as I can get it, as long as I learn stuff along the way

also, I want it to fit my hand nicely, so that's been a factor in the scaling too.

the interstitial bit between the barrel and the body looks as if it should be easy enough with the styrene sheet I'm using already, but it's getting the consistency along the length of the whole barrel that's the trouble.

As an Industrial Designer (by degree and trade, originally), I fully support the idea of completing this project using the design marker as the barrel :)

Seriously - this is a great start and that barrel shouldn't be too hard to construct with the styrene methods you're using. Determine the dimensions of the outside shape (octagan), and build around the barrel shape. You might be able to use extruded shapes for the tube - match the inner diameter to start. Better to go with something machined, depending on your access to the necessary tools, or something grown of course.

Blackbird: I don't think I could sacrifice one of my promarkers if it still works :), love these things.

ST.louiskid: that's awesome stuff, I'm gonna give it a go building with styrene around something I already have here first, but if I fail miserably, that barrel looks perfect. but this is a budget build really, and even the cheapest option is £25 on shapeways.

plus the secondary purpose of this build is learning, so I'm gonna make as many mistakes as I can, only way I know how to learn properly.

ST.louiskid: that's awesome stuff, I'm gonna give it a go building with styrene around something I already have here first, but if I fail miserably, that barrel looks perfect. but this is a budget build really, and even the cheapest option is £25 on shapeways.

plus the secondary purpose of this build is learning, so I'm gonna make as many mistakes as I can, only way I know how to learn properly.

No problemo.
Just thought I'd offer since that particular part took only like 1 minute to draw so it was no trouble. I think the next big jump in technology needs to be in making it more affordable.

yeah, if all else fails, I might know a guy who knows a guy with a plastic extruder type dealie, so depending on resolution and build platform size, I could get it done there.

shapeways is in some respects still building up its economy of scale, and will gradually get cheaper as overheads go down, and more people adopt, and of course as competition arises.

Great looking build ! I like the concept models alot where you grab what you have around and make it work :)

today's progress:

got started on the (hopefully removable) magazine:

yaKWyT4.jpg

here it is in place with a test of some rub n buff on black primer, looking towards the finishing process. might try it on top of dark brown primer next.
YGb7vwT.jpg

you can also see the molding on the upper handle there too, apoxy still curing at the moment, but will be sanded back down probably tomorrow.

and here's how the mag will be removable, MAGNETS!
XhQ59ds.jpg

also took that top runner off, to sand a little more off the top, as it wasn't fitting as well as I'd like.

Hellboy: thanks!

now: details details details

2RBJhkJ.jpg

it's been slow going, as work's been super busy lately, but I think it's almost ready to prime up and start the final refining processes. (once I find locking nuts for the front and top)

also, I needed something to test the rub n' buff and weathering techniques on, so now I have a weathered gold xbox controller.

poGdTyq.jpg

the colours on all of these photos are really crappy, but I keep leaving my DSLR at work by accident :/

so this gold really isn't as red as it seems there.

Oh hey,

this is still a gun!

I'm actually reasonably close to finishing it up, I think.

afH1r9a.jpg

made some tweaks, and a couple of reasonably major changes too.

just needs handles and a paint-up

Attachments

• afH1r9a.jpg
    afH1r9a.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 93
Not entirely, but the only thing I didn't build that you can see is the trigger

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back