My Jack Sparrow Costume

If you want a low cost method get some costume rasta hats worth the wool dreads you can find them cheap and you can sew or hot glue them into your base wig

When I re-did my wig for OST, I bough a bunch of real human hair and dreadlocked it. Wasn't too expensive and looks exactly like the film. (wearing it in my profile pic)

The help iv had so far has been great, all positive and i dont think i couldv got my budget costume lookin this good without this help
Thanks to alll

So some minor adjustments to the costumebase wig, added some banding and made the front dread a little thicker. Added the pony tail on top out of unwound dreads so looks a bit frizzy but thats te best a combe can do on this horrible wig, i moved the marlinspike to the new ponytail and i think it has made it ever so slightly better without spending any moneys.
Its not screen accurate but more like a mixture of COTBP and OST lol

Looking better! Here's a few shots of me in my Captain outfit. Notice how the wig has many different colors of dreads (black, brown and blonde). Also, make sure to leave some regular straight hair in there too....his hair isn't 100% dreads.

Fade the bandanna by leaving it in the sun for a week. I actually took mine to Mexico when I went on vacation and left it outside for the entire week. Be careful using bleach...it can cause it to turn orange.

Next, as mentioned earlier, dirty the crap out of your clothes. Mine are really nasty, and they still show up too clean in photos. Make sure to distress the coat too. For mine, the fabric (same as screen used) can't handle too much distressing, so I sewed in bits of thread at the wrists, shoulders, elbows and other points. It really makes it look like the coat is fraying apart.

Here's a few shots for you:
21440-captain-jack-sparrow.jpg

21442-coat-fraying.jpg

21441-captain-crew.jpg

Last edited:
Couple of updates, i have done a new hat! With a bit of trimming and re-stitchin and shaping its come out perfect for my needs. And i have also managed to ad a couple of thicker dreads and red ties to the costumebase wig which has made it already look a hundred times better.
Out with te old horrible bandana and in with the screen accurate aswell

I based it on this pic lol, think it switches sides in OST.
I will have AWE wig and hat at some point, a fellow jack sparrower is selling them to me for £250. All sithcamero stuff

If you're attaching dreads (real or not) to your bandana, DO NOT glue them... your head is going to sweat like crazy. It's worth the extra effort to stitch it, definitely.

If you're attaching dreads (real or not) to your bandana, DO NOT glue them... your head is going to sweat like crazy. It's worth the extra effort to stitch it, definitely.

Not only that, but your head will melt the hot glue enough for the dreads to start falling out. I also recommend sewing them in. Plus, they are easier to move or reuse if they are sewn in.

Yea i have sewn them all in, defo wouldnt use glue lol that would just be silly haha
Need to take the coat to a seamstress and have it tightened up but other thn that i think its there. All in all spent around £400 which isnt to bad considering iv seen ppl spend thousands lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back