UK Model makers advice on UK equivalent materials

Badwolf38

Hello there,

I've never used any silicones, resins, rubber etc to do any kind of model making or craftwork. I now have some time on my hands, and looking to keep busy by attempting some prop building.

A lot of the reference material online and on the RPF is great for giving me inspiration and ideas for techniques and materials, but translating these materials into their UK equivalent is difficult for me, given my ignorance of the craft.

As you can imagine, I don't have a hugely stocked workshop and am ashamed to say I don't even have a garage. :-( I do have an empty spare room, and considering converting the attic. But I digress. I want to make a Dredd outfit. I'm in no rush and am not going to spend a fortune on it in one month. What I need is advice on what the UK equivalent would be for the kind of mold making 'stuff' and what kind of resin is best for slush / roto-casting a helmet? Or indeed, any kind of mold and cast making materials, which I can order from a UK based company / Ebay or walk into a craft / modellers shop and be able to ask for without sounding like an idiot, and walking out with stuff twice as expensive and half as good.

Oh, and I live in Northern Ireland, so if any member is resident here and can point me in the direction of a reputable source of materials, I'd be very thankful.

Cheers all.

Harry

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back