Snowtrooper Helmet/armor Revamp to version 2.0

tubachris85x

Master Member
I haven't heard of this at all until I just discovered this detail upon reviewing the hi-rez images of the recently auction screen used Snowy helmet. I'm in the process of redoing my helmet cowl in the hopes of making it more accurate. The biggest issue being that achieving the "look" of the cowl is extremely difficult, as it appears stiff and almost rigid on screen. The material itself is already difficult to find. While I have a more accurate shiny vinyl to use, it is still pliable, which the reference shows it as such in more recent pics.

However

I just came across an image of the helmet, showing it from the rear, clearly showing where the rear and front cowl meet on the side. What can be seen is a second layer of material that is separating from the outer layer on the front cowl piece. Now, is this already known? I can't recall seeing this on the MoM suit helmet. Could this be just a second layer of vinyl or could it be some form of interfacing? I'm leaning towards a second layer of vinyl at the moment primarily due to the fact it appears the same thickness as the outer layer and is well formed to it, but I'd like to hear some opinions. If this is already known, well disregard my madness...

YRZ5u9g.png

Re: Discovered a second layer on screen used Snowtrooper helmet cowl

I'm still searching like a madman for the material. I know Joanne's doesn't carry it, but I went back there to ask some of the ladies that work there. They seem to identify it not as a vinyl, but as a pleather. My quick google search leads me to believe that they are indeed correct on this. There is a place in south miami I'm going to go check out as well and see what they have.

Here is my new cowl that I believe is the most accurate material which I am trying to find more of

fttvFEf.jpg

from the photo you posted I would say it looks like pleather. It also looks like they glued 2 pieces together to get the desired thickness and stiffness that they were looking for. good luck on your build.

Thanks stripe I personally believe the same as well...just need to find more material!

Ok Got some more work done today. I've already trooped with the helmet as you last saw it but the work still continues. I worked on trimming the sides of the cowl. Again, I used my reference of the screen used helmet for this. I was very careful (and scared) about screwing it up. Using the reference, I created a "template" or pattern to try and match the curve/shape of the screen used one. I blew up the image large enough so that measurements of the image's helmet matched my physical helmet. Based my measurements from that, I determined how far below from the hard plastic is the "peak" or the highest point along where the front and rear cowl meet. It may not be 100% accurate but I feel it's pretty darn close! If anyone is interested, I can scan the pattern and share it with anyone who might want it.

I did not entirely free-hand this. I semi-traced the image, and had to adjust for the angle from the photo

FiWYLsm.jpg

Had to line it up down the middle of where both cowl sides meet..careful to place it so the pattern lays on the material smoothly

7b7vCui.jpg

First side done...just had to flip the pattern over and properly place it on the other side!

TaRAWEc.jpg

Both sides done. I feel it came out great and gives it a more accurate look. This first pic from the front, I wasn't wearing low enough I think, which is why you don't really see a "flair." Either way, once I'm actually suited up, it will be forced up and will become accentuated,

mQyBaTH.jpg

I will say that I really love how it looks from the side. I think the cowl it is properly sticking out on the front

L5AO2b1.jpg

LMK what you guys think, thanks!

-TC

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back