New 52 Aquaman Cosplay WIP

randomality

So, I was posted a few pics of this on reddit and people have been following me on my facebook. Someone reminded me of here, and somehow this completely slipped my mind to post this here! I generally lurked here, getting tips and this is my 2nd costume that I am putting together myself. The other was a full scale mail Captain America that I wore at SDCC 2012.

So! Here we go! I love Aquaman, and am loving how the new 52 is making him even more awesome than he was before. There have been some great aquaman cosplays so I decided to go a different route and go for the full scale mail version of it! Here's the progress so far.

I was originally going to do the sleeves in rings and scales, but realized just how uncomfortable that would've been. So, I've commisioned Crystalsidyll on Etsy to knit me the sleeves with the large scales which I will be attaching to what I have. You can check out her stuff here:

Scale Maille Knitted Dragonhide Armor Gauntlets by Crystalsidyll

Anyhow, keep following to see where this goes! I have some Worbla Thermoplastic which I will be using to make finned greaves, finned bracers/gauntlet gloves, and belt/bangle.

Alrighty. I was having trouble figuring out the collar, but then I realized I had some aluminum wire lying around. So, using that, I experimented using that as a skeleton for the collar. It works really well! It makes it stay up! Decided also to check out how the scales would compress as I pose so did the cross armed pose. Surprisingly form fitting. It actually still shows underlying form. I think the trick to that was to make it a little bigger than what you would normally wear so it allows for a "scrunch" zone.

Now... Onto experiment with making gauntlets.

So Now I'm waiting for the remainder of my scales to come ine (they are being knitted.) So in the meantime, ON WITH THE ARMOR!!!
I've started by doing a template on some drawing paper I had. Nice firm cardboardish paper that has some form. Next, I cut that out, and transferred it onto craft foam sheets. cut that out, it got sandwiched between 2 sheets of Worbla Thermoplastic. Once there, a heat gun to attach the edges and warm it up enough to form it around my forearm

Continuing on with the same methods, I started on the greaves last night. The front and back are 2 separate pieces. These are just the base so far though. I'll be adding some detail to it afterwards. This is definitely moving along A LOT faster than I thought. I'm considering even making a Young Justice Black Manta (maybe Deathstroke?) and also Ocean Master.

This is actually the only New52 redesign that I like. I think the rest are weak.

Looking forward to how these work down the arms and if you'll need to...
glue them down a little so they don't pop up.

But they seam to be following your anatomy well enough, without masking to
much of your build. Thats the only unrealistic part of the the comic suit, to much
muscle shows thru for scales...... to get as close as possible to that it would be
sculpted and painted.....but your way is more true to the character.

So very cool!

This is great! I picked up the first issue of the New 52 Aquaman a while ago, and I loved it! I need to get the rest. I love that you're doing actual scales for this project.

Looks good. I've been working on my own scale mail Aquaman for Megacon for the last few months. Except I'm using orange scales instead.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back