New 52 Aquaman Cosplay WIP

dude can i ask you to produce me that armor!? wow you have paietience! lol where did you get your gold scales from????

I got my gold scales from theringlord.com.
Since they are based in Canada, they do take a bit to get to you. I also found the quickest way to make this is to make 5x5 scale squares. that way you can easily work it into the pattern you want.

I've attached the layout for the mantle you see in the earlier post. You can actually work it into many different forms from there. It shows how the scales should lay and the orange portions are the seams. You need to lay scales on there to hide the seams.

This was the basic layout for how I did using for my Cap Costume last year.

I am doing it somewhat different this time around so the scales are all around without any visible ties. I'm solving this one by using aluminum wire to gice it some shape and put the ties underneath the scales in the rings so I can close it shut from there. Hope this layout part helps though! Keep in mind that the layout is for me and I have a 45 inch chest so sdjust accordingly!

Wow. Just wow. Like so many others, I have become a fan of the 52 Aquaman. I have been also trying to figure out a good, quality way to make a scale armor for my own Aquaman. So I am very much appreciating what you are doing here and your explanation of how you are doing it. I am also curious about this Thermoplas you are using. I plan to look into that after I post this because it looks like it can have limitless uses.

Wow. Just wow. Like so many others, I have become a fan of the 52 Aquaman. I have been also trying to figure out a good, quality way to make a scale armor for my own Aquaman. So I am very much appreciating what you are doing here and your explanation of how you are doing it. I am also curious about this Thermoplas you are using. I plan to look into that after I post this because it looks like it can have limitless uses.

It took a little getting used to, but I like using it a lot! Unlike Wonderflex, you can sand it. That in itself was a huge draw for me. The nice part is that all the little scraps can be saved so there are no wasted pieces. You just heat it up into one piece and it becomes almost like modeling epoxy. For bulky pieces, this might be a nice way to reinforce expanding foam pieces. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and personally like it WAY more than wonderflex.

Check out this video to see application methods!
How to create Breastplates with Worbla - YouTube

great! found there website tell me how much did you buy??? how did you know how much you need? and what was your total cost? Thanks

great! found there website tell me how much did you buy??? how did you know how much you need? and what was your total cost? Thanks

scales wise, I bought 2000. That was enough to get me to the collar and torso portion you see up in the pics. With this project, I thought about it in terms of 10x10 squares and laid it out to calculate the amount of scales I would need. Rings though... I'd over shoot on the rings. I ordered about 25 bags of rings, but that was barely enough. You really need to overshoot for those just because you'll need about 3-4 rings per scale. It cost me about 200 total for all the materials, but if you can, you could make your own rings as well. There's tutorials for those on Youtube, but the only issue would be getting them colored.

I will say that if you do decide to make one, work in squares of 5x5. It makes it go by so much faster. You could easily knock out 400 scales in a day. Keep in mind this was all done after I get home from about 7-10 pm.

Today was all about making the belt. I did the "A" separately (it is also sandwiched craft foam between Worbla) and the belt was individual ridges that were scalloped. It's not really visible, but you'll be able to see it once it's painted. This though, there is no craft foam. Then, I put down a long thin strip of Worbla on top and bottom to complete the look. Going well so far!

Are the pants going to have any kind of texture?

The pants are simple. I just bought some shiny green lycra pants, but the greaves will really be more of the centerpiece on the legs. I was thinking of doing some gill type texture, but we'll see. I have some left over Worbla, so maybe I'll try it out!

I love the look of the New 52 Aquaman, and I'm glad you have the skills to bring it to life. Looks incredible. Can't wait to see the finished product!

A quick fit test of the greaves tonight. It's really rough, but thankfully I have a lot more worbla left over to refine. Then I can prime it with Gesso and sand it smooth.

Good progress on your suit. Here's my progress on mine. I'm going for a different sleeve pattern and I won't be doing the raised collar.

this is so great aquaman is so under rated! i hope a really good movie comes out soon! not corny but cool! i loking forward to buying this guy!

Good progress on your suit. Here's my progress on mine. I'm going for a different sleeve pattern and I won't be doing the raised collar.

That looks amazing! How are you planning the sleeves? If I didn't have someone knit mine, I was planning on doing something that I could tie underneath so it wouldn't be so hard to put on and off. Take a look at these!

Boot Blousers-Hook Style - Black

I had some success using these to make mine more form fitting and also to get in and out of because they hook and are elastic

this is so great aquaman is so under rated! i hope a really good movie comes out soon! not corny but cool! i loking forward to buying this guy!

I was thinking about that too. If they can make Thor, there's no reason they can't make an Aquaman movie!

But, since DC seems to be going the more grounded dark route, I think an Aquaman told like Game of Thrones (like a battle for the throne and a prodigal son return type story between Ocean Master and Aquaman) would be amazing.

Even a Wonder Woman movie... Just adapt the animated movie and style it like 300 or Immortals and BAM! A good Wonder Woman movie.

its hard to any movies under water to make them realistic enough thats the issue. i think him being found on a beach as an abandoned infant by humans and raising him in a human world would be the best way to go then when he hits 18 aka puberty lol his powers emerge as he hits salt water etc. realizing he can swim fast hold his breath talk to fish etc. but then tring to incorporate his human world to the sea world.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back