Heath Ledger Joker...another one but a real good one

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
I commissioned this to be done a rather unique way by an incredibly talented sculptor who would prefer to remain anonymous. Stlll needs to be textured but here are some pics to enjoy.

a5f4b30307ad7fc1ff8599370091ab76.jpg

5d42269448506b0abc2f7776e2a6cbb0.jpg

126a600be606f027312a7a9d2cbf53a4.jpg

Not positive on the plaster but you're right on the clay pour. ;) This is a 3D print of a scan of the Joker sculpt attached and blended to a traditional head cast.

Are you saying that the Heath Ledger face was made with a 3D printer & later attached to standard upper body cast.

This pretty much takes out the guess work of a sculptor starting from scratch especially if the scan was taken directly from the actor's face.

Not positive on the plaster but you're right on the clay pour. ;) This is a 3D print of a scan of the Joker sculpt attached and blended to a traditional head cast.

what I envision for the future: you will be able to take a picture of someone/something. scan it in the software, the fill in the missing angles. break it down, ala remove hair, glasses, etc.
In this way you get basically any pose from a movie, any facial shot. any iconic scene can be re-created into a 3-d file. Development costs will whittled down.

Are you saying that the Heath Ledger face was made with a 3D printer & later attached to standard upper body cast.

This pretty much takes out the guess work of a sculptor starting from scratch especially if the scan was taken directly from the actor's face.

Yep this is what I am saying. ;)

Does the sculptor prefer to remain anonymous because its not a sculpture at all?

:facepalm No. This was the nature of the commission. Don't go looking for conspiracies because I said he wants to remain anonymous. And I'm not sure why that's important anyway. The purpose of this thread is to showcase the 'sculpt' and not try and guess who's involved or their motivations.

I also just realized that I may have inadvertently discredited the sculptor by making the process sound simpler than it was. He still had some sculpting work to do on this. And trying to match everything up was a process.

This wasn't done this way as a shortcut but more with ultimate accuracy in mind.

I think I'll clear this up before it goes down the wrong path.

I'm working on this with Kevin, I asked him to keep me out of it as I didn't want anyone contacting me about castings as it's kevins project.

This has not been claimed to be a sculpture, what Kevin said was that the work was being done " by a sculptor".

To elaborate, Kevin provided me a 3d print of a laser scan of a life cast of Heath ledger with the scars already sculpted on.

The resolution of the print is far from ideal so all this has had to be worked out and the eyes of the scan were closed so this is where I came in.

I produced a clay copy of the print and attached it to the back of a head bust cast in the same clay with the face removed. This was then blended together and the head shape refined to resemble the shape of heaths head.

I have then refined the detail of the face print and filled in the missing detail and sculpted the eyes open as they were closed on the cast. The ears are sculpted from scratch.

Hopefully this clears up the origin of the piece and everyone can judge it on what it is

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is here. It still takes talent to do what you're doing. I think it looks great as do all your sculpts. Just because a life mask, 3D print or not is being used doesn't change the fact it takes a lot of work to make this happen. Keep up the great work.

Reel

As I said to Kev the other day absolutely amazing work here Rich. You have done an awesome job and no small feat given the different pieces and materials you had to meld together to get to this end.
Super talented IMO there is no better. :cool

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back