TheScratcher

I am in the planning stage of a sculpt and would need to implement LED strips as well as EL wires.

I know nothing of electronics and dealing with them will be a first. Therefore please understand my insecurities and (stupid) questions about it.
After some research it seems like they all just come with AA(A) battery cases.

Is it possible to connect LEDs and EL wires to a LI-ON Battery or would there be some electronic something issue?
Seems like EL batteries use an EL connector and its different from the LED one but the exact name of each connector never came up.
So it seems like buying a 2 way splitter would not work either.
Cant seem to easily find the right LI-ON battery as well. (dont buy from alibaba or that other janky one. only amazon,ebay and stores in germany)

Thank you very much for any help and sorry if I never know what Thread to post in...

I have used LEDs, but not El wire. Found this info, might be interesting:
It seems EI has different power necessities than LED, but it also seems they sell what is needed along with the wires.
"Many people ask, "Can't I just hook up EL wire to a battery?" The answer is, no! In order to operate EL wire properly, you must use AC (alternating current) power. This is similar to the power that comes out of your wall outlets at home, though outlets provide much more current than needed for EL wire. That's where the inverter comes in!"
So there is this "inverter" besides the batery. Probably you could source both with the same batery, but the EI will need that inverter in any case...probably welding needed if both things are not sold/manufactured separate.
As for the connectors I guess that if there are no adapters (have you looked for them?, there is a wide range of these things) for the different ones it will have to be welding too.
But I think the first thing would be to contact a dedicated EI supplier (not Amazon)like the guys I linked, and ask them directly, there could be a workaround.
If there´s not, when I have needed to go for certain electronic set ups for a job that are a bit more complicated than just plug and unplug or surpass my weak electronics knowledge I´ve found that the best is to look for an electronics guy who knows how to set it up, at least the first time. You might spend more money, but save time and headache at the end...which sometimes means saving money too. And you will learn something about it by the way.

Why do you want to use EL wire? That'd be my first question.

EL wire produces light from thin rubbery wires. That's kind of cool, and they use little power and don't generate much heat. But the colours they're available in are rather limited, they require large bulky external power inverters, and have a limited lifespan.

I'd rather use one of the simulated EL wire strings made of a bunch of LEDs in a line, personally.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back