BTTF Marty Sunglasses

Not so keen on the E being backwards on the second one. Out of the two I personally prefer the MCFLY Hill Valley one, as it's a little connection to the movie. Also another option is to mirror the text Zeiss, so it's the same when you look into a mirror. I'm not the best at this, but like this
image.jpg
image.jpg

But I'm still keen on the MCFLY one. Either way, I need a pair of these glasses! :cool

Definitely going for another logo would be a terrible idea.

Why would you want to have replicas with the wrong text. :S That ruins it.

I think we are just exploring different options, as copyright issues will come up should we want to name Zeiss on them. I do agree and would love for them to be as correct as possible! I think the best thing would be to leave it blank, then we can add a decal of the correct text at a later date, should we wish. I would be happy with this!

I think a good option would be for Magnoli to collaborate with a RPF member that would produce the bridges with the real logo name. Brand names aren't really a problem on the forum like an official website would be.

Ok, I'll see if we can manufacture them in a way that the plastic bridge can be easily removed, so those who want to replace them can.

Who out of the BTTF community has the skills and willingness to help with the bridge. Brainstorm time. I'm thinking Magnoli supply a 3D model of the glasses to this person for them to add the bridge in to get the snap attachments right. Then the piece could be 3D printed then molded and casted. Or a pair of finished glasses could be sent to this person for them to create the bridge using handmade techniques.

Last edited:
The lettering is too small for conventional extrusion style 3d printing. I know I read a few people on here have the Form Z printer that MIGHT work... Just maybe. It would be easy enough to test though as we wouldn't need to print the whole piece to find out about just the letter details.

I think for the lenses, if possible, it would be cool to have two options: mirrored and black. That way the buyer can decide what look they want to go for.

I think the lenses are black with a reflective coat. They're not just black lenses without any reflection at all, and they don't appear to be grey lenses with a full 'chrome/mirror' reflection either.

By the way, I think the logo could be improved a bit using the actual Zeiss style, if McFly was what was decided on. I did this some minutes ago. Took apart the Zeiss logo and rearranged things a bit to fit MCFLY

Z-Mlogo.png

just in case it may be of interest to anyone. :p

It's really a tough call on the lens. These aviators do not curve around your face like modern styles. They are more flat, that is why both lenses usually reflect the same image.

The pair I posted has a dark amber tint to the lens, what I think of as a 'blue-blocker' style. If there is a coating, it is only very slight. They almost always catch a reflection appearing mirrored as long as what is in front of you is significantly brighter. I could get them to look like they do in the film but I'm not sure I could match the exterior 1955 promo shots. They really do look mirrored there. But if MJF is standing in a shaded spot looking at direct sun-lit street, well maybe I could recreate the effect.

That all said I think most fans will expect a mirror lens no matter what is found. I have two of the correct black frames. The other pair has the Zeiss West Germany logo printed on the lens just like the gold version I posted on the first page. Still, the only thing I can say is that one is more like the movie, not really proving anything.

Here is a small sound clip I recorded of Bob Gale's audio commentary on BTTF 1 blu-ray, talking about the glasses. Not much info, but this is what he says.

http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums... future sunglasses sound clip_zps6dyppgws.mp4

'' My recollection is that we had some kind of a promotional deal with whatever company made these sunglasses. It's the only time in the movie we see him wearing sunglasses and we put them in here to do some kind of a contractual obligation and we never see them again, because shooting with mirrored sunglasses is a major pain in the ass.''

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back